Black Monday(UPDATED: Fangio OUT; Zim & Spielman OUT; Nagy & Pace OUT; Flores OUT; Judge OUT; Culley OUT)

GunnerBill

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

What’s with all the age references? You got som’n agin old men? Ya snot-nosed punk! 😉

(Great thread, btw!)

BFAC08F4-85D1-40B9-A56B-FE57BEFB3A8B.jpeg

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!

Mornin Chandman.  Ready to stomp on some birds today?

Love when he says “Alright boys, let’s kick their arses”.  Such a great motivator.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Semantics. Weeb Ewbank won with John Unitas in Baltimore just before the AFL began play, then won SBIII with the Jets.

The trophy was created in 1966 it was renamed "The Lombardi Trophy" in 1970

Weeb won in the early 50's

Frazier should definitely be getting some looks, and if I was a GM of someone like the Jags with their QB, Daboll would have to come into consideration also.

I think if the Bears came calling, Leslie would be gone, but I'm less certain about some of the other teams. Maybe the Jags, as they have a QB.

Carolina might be an option, depending on what they are thinking about doing in respect of a QB. Tepper might be impatient, but he is loaded, and a 3 year deal to get stability back into that franchise, would be in his best interests.

The desire for some stabilty could also lead Frazier to the Raiders (or should it be the Raiders to Frazier).

Carolina might be an option for Daboll, if he can persuade Trubisky to go with him, as might be the Jags, as I mentioned before (without Trubisky). With Trubisky, the Broncos might also be a slot he could drop into.

In my mimnd, it's probably now or never fror Frazier - although I don't think it necessarily should be. Daboll I think still has time on his side.

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree it is a sad list. The league cannot sustain 6 or 7 vacancies a year. It depletes the pool too quickly. 

You could go deeper into the morass of 'with previous experience', and dredge up the names Marrone, Gase, and Ryan...🙁😳

"What am I bid on this previously used Gregg Williams?"

"Here's a bargain!  Can function as HC and GM.  Will act like he's the GM even if you don't want him to!  Bill O'Brien."

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Carolina might be an option for Daboll, if he can persuade Trubisky to go with him, as might be the Jags, as I mentioned before (without Trubisky). With Trubisky, the Broncos might also be a slot he could drop into.

Matt Rhule is not gonna be fired after 2 years. He’s owed waaayyyy too much money. A good coach, just needs time, and a QB. 

• Agree 1

I get the allure of being a head coach, but here are the options:

Option 1 (if offered): Take a HC job. Jacksonville and Vegas are open, the next two most likely are Chicago and Giants. None of the 4 are very stable.  

Option 2: Stay as DC for the Bills

If I'm Frazier, I'm 63 years old, I can stay with the Bills and probably make it my last stop before retiring. He's not going to get fired and the Bills are set up to be perennial contenders for the foreseeable future, probably the rest of his coaching career. 

Alternatively, I can take a HC job with one of those 4, all of which have their issues and no recent history of coaching stability. None have GMs with a good track record so as HC what am I going to have to work with? Jags have Lawrence and Bears have Fields, so if you believe either or both are a franchise QB, maybe you take the job.

Now if he gets at least a 5 year contract at really good money ($4-5/year) maybe that financial security makes it more attractive. 

If I'm Frazier, I think long and hard how I want to spend my final years. It would be very enticing to stay put and see "the process" through in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I’m of the understanding that Rhule has as much or more say as Fitterer in big decision. This was part of the agreement he secured with Tepper when Tepper swooped in to whoo him before he could even get to the Giants interview.

Tepper is the only one with firing power.

Rhule has lost the locker room. It actually started at least a month ago. I feel there is a 50/50 chance he gets the boot. 

Yes, I know, Rhule was involved in the selection process for the GM but it is the GM sitting next to Tepper in the lounge every Sunday when things are going wrong. Is he going to be up there defending a coach he didn't have a say in hiring? That was my point. 

Agree with you Rhule's status is 50/50. Two bad losses to end the season could tip the balance. 

6 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

I get the allure of being a head coach, but here are the options:

Option 1 (if offered): Take a HC job. Jacksonville and Vegas are open, the next two most likely are Chicago and Giants. None of the 4 are very stable.  

Option 2: Stay as DC for the Bills

If I'm Frazier, I'm 63 years old, I can stay with the Bills and probably make it my last stop before retiring. He's not going to get fired and the Bills are set up to be perennial contenders for the foreseeable future, probably the rest of his coaching career. 

Alternatively, I can take a HC job with one of those 4, all of which have their issues and no recent history of coaching stability. None have GMs with a good track record so as HC what am I going to have to work with? Jags have Lawrence and Bears have Fields, so if you believe either or both are a franchise QB, maybe you take the job.

Now if he gets at least a 5 year contract at really good money ($4-5/year) maybe that financial security makes it more attractive. 

If I'm Frazier, I think long and hard how I want to spend my final years. It would be very enticing to stay put and see "the process" through in Buffalo.

He interviewed for an arguably even worse situation in Houston last year. I think if Leslie were offered a job he'd take it. These coaches all have egos even a quiet, humble, mature guy like Frazier.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

If Hackett gets a head coaching gig, then I will truly believe anything is possible. 

I think @GunnerBill is dead on with his take about Hackett.  I think if some team is taking a run at Rodgers (and he decides to leave) - Hackett may be the key to getting him in.  

I really see Denver as the primary fit (NYG would also fit, but that is not Mara’s style and I think they might work on prying Russ out of Seattle).  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

What’s your take on the reported rumor that Ken Dorsey would follow Frazier if he lands a HC job?

Certainly plausible. It would be a key question if you are interviewing Frazier. His successful year in Minnesota came behind Adrian Peterson being the MVP. Teams are going to want to get a sense of whether he has a plan or the connections to build a modern NFL passing attack. I can see why to some Dorsey's name might bring a certain cache in that regard - former QB, been here with a hand in developing Josh etc. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Leslie Frazier - this is a Bills board so let's start with the Bills' interest. Leslie Frazier is about to have a third top 5 defense in 5 years in Buffalo and while 62 year old, defensive retreads with low key personalities are not sexy hires there are some franchises in my list above who would benefit from just having a mature adult in the room for a few years - Jags, Raiders and Seahawks for example. He is hugely respected across the league and interviewed last year in a similarly volatile situation in Houston.

Haha - good take!

4 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Hard to imagine that Bill O'Brien and Doug Marone are interested in staying on as assistant coaches at Alabama. Given the tendency of a lot of NFL teams to hire retreads at HC, don't you think one or both of them will get a look-see?  

Marrone:  🎶 If you change your mind
I'm the first in line🎵
🎶Honey, I'm still free
Take a chance on me 🎵

NFL: NO!!!

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Even by your own high standards you are in form this morning 🤣🤣

Nonsense.  I am as sober as a judge.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Even by your own high standards you are in form this morning 🤣🤣

I shouldn't have watched that 'Airplane!' and 'Airplane 2' marathon showing. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Hard to imagine that Bill O'Brien and Doug Marone are interested in staying on as assistant coaches at Alabama. Given the tendency of a lot of NFL teams to hire retreads at HC, don't you think one or both of them will get a look-see?  

I certainly hope so.  They would make a great tandem for NE when Billy boy finally retires.

14 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Marrone has had two goes round. Doubt he gets a third unless he is on an NFL staff and gets a shot as an interim etc. Bill O'Brien I don't think it is impossible at some point. He is 54-52 as a regular season coach and has two post season wins. His personnel moves were mainly horrid but he wasn't a horrid Head Coach. Just a kinda average one.... and when the memory of his GMship starts to fade it is not impossible he gets a second go round from a franchise looking for someone to come in and kick some people up the backside. I just don't think it happens this soon.

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

So no chance that McDaniels leave the Pats for a HC gig? Is he waiting for the Belichick to hang up his hood? 

I read somewhere that if McDaniels does leave then Bill O Brien would likely be brought back in

Who is going to hire him? I think what he did to the Colts killed his chances of ever being hired again anywhere other than New England when Bill retires.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.