Get Diggs the Ball

Billsfan1972

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

And that is who's fault?  I think defenses adjusted to Adams, Kupp, Julio Jones, Jerry Rice and other great receivers.

What a cop out.....

I've presented who I believe is "at fault."   I believe our poor oline is the reason for our offensive struggles.  We can put that on Beane I guess.

actually on a few crucial plays lately i think Allen was looking at and throwing to Diggs but he was well covered, can't blame him for it, but when he comes off him quickly and finds the open guy like Davis etc, instead of forcing to Diggs its been better. Now i also think Daboll could scheme some things up better to free Diggs up more. You know Belicheat gonna try to take Diggs away so Josh gonna have to find his 2nd 3rd and 4th option, thats IF THE OLINE CAN PROTECT LONG ENOUGH. NE gonna take his first read away and try to get pressure so he doesn't have time to go through his progressions

Daboll gotta come up with some new ways to use Diggs this week, different formations, more pre snap motion etc., change it up or ol Billy gonna take him away

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

Diggs is still having a good year, but I’ve felt like he’s been underutilized all year. For whatever reason, Josh isn’t looking to him as much this year. I also think the creativity on offense hasn’t been there as much this year either. I wish they’d use Diggs more like Cooper Kupp. 

Kupp, Adams, Jefferson...they get used all over the field.  Tf is Daboll doing?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes I've posted Diggs #'s being down and was told that was due to coverages and all the options Allen has.....  Well down another this week (thanks Cole) and time to put up or shut up (i.e. Daboll draw up plays to get it to him).

Outside the Jets & Texans games, Diggs, like the offense just not like 2020.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2976212/stefon-diggs

vs. Peers

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/16800/davante-adams

vs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2977187/cooper-kupp

vs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/4262921/justin-jefferson

Justin Jefferson was the pick the Bills gave up for him.

I think Diggs is great, just don't think the Bills are using him to his full potential.

Diggs needs to get the ball more - agreed. You later comments about him regressing or something don’t make sense. 

There are only so many targets to go around on offense. We’ve added mouths to feed and Knox has emerged. In order for Knox and Sanders to put up numbers that people expect, Diggs and Beasley need to get the ball less.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong… all I’m saying is there is a statistical cap on how many plays can be run and targets given. 

Yes I've posted Diggs #'s being down and was told that was due to coverages and all the options Allen has.....  Well down another this week (thanks Cole) and time to put up or shut up (i.e. Daboll draw up plays to get it to him).

Outside the Jets & Texans games, Diggs, like the offense just not like 2020.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2976212/stefon-diggs

vs. Peers

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/16800/davante-adams

vs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2977187/cooper-kupp

vs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/4262921/justin-jefferson

Justin Jefferson was the pick the Bills gave up for him.

I think Diggs is great, just don't think the Bills are using him to his full potential.

I agree they could utilize him a little better but who gives a shot about his “numbers?”  It was going to be nearly impossible to duplicate the season he put up last year.  This years there’s been so many factors as to why the offense has struggled 

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

It's my opinion that Daboll is hampered by poor oline play.  When teams are playing us with light boxes and we still can't run it's a talent problem.  Forces us to be predictably one-dimensional and overy dependant on Allen.

Oh I agree with this 100%, but I'm confused (especially because he is from the Belichek tree) why he doesn't try to use quick passes, WR screens, screen passes even more as an extension of a running game.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Since 2020....

Jefferson - 262 targets, 177 receptions, 2735 yards, 16 touchdowns, 15.5 yards per reception.

Diggs - 294 targets, 209 receptions, 2542 yards, 16 touchdowns, 12.2 yards per reception. 

Davis - 108 targets, 64 receptions, 1069 yards, 13 touchdowns, 16.7 yards per reception. 

The Bills FO couldn't take the risk on IF Jefferson would work in the NFL. 

In summary get Diggs & Davis the damn ball. 

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again great receivers can beat any coverage.  Why always excuses?

Diggs                     2021              2020     Diff

Avg Catches          5.86               7.94      -26.2%

Avg Targets            9.14               10.38    -11.9%

Avg Yds/catch       12.3                12.1         +1.7%

Avg Yds/gm            71.93             95.94    -25.0%

TDs                           8                     8          Even in two less games

So your stats basically show that Diggs has

2 less catches per game

1 less target per game

same amount of avg yards per catch

24 yards less per game

more TDs per game

Basically, the same as last thread you made, your major gripe is that Diggs needs the ball one or two more times but you act like they don't use him at all.

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

So your stats basically show that Diggs has

2 less catches per game

1 less target per game

same amount of avg yards per catch

24 yards less per game

more TDs per game

Basically, the same as last thread you made, your major gripe is that Diggs needs the ball one or two more times but you act like they don't use him at all.

Two less catches is significant.  If someone went from 48 to 16 over 16 games you'd say they should be cut. 

24 yards less is also a big drop.

His stats are down.

And yes I'm saying get him the ball. 

Do you disagree with that assessment?

Again why are others putting up #'s and their QB looking for them? 

6 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I think the biggest factor is how D's are playing us this year- two deep soft zones daring us to run.  Last year they were daring Josh to beat them, and he obliged.  Need to continue to establish the run to soften up the pass D, IMO.

I think this is true all those guys Mentioned above have great running games. 

6 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I think we kind of ran him into the ground last year, and it really hurt us in the postseason.

Might be a little by design not to overuse him, especially with a longer season.  But , if there's a week to do it, this is it.

The expectations we so high this year. Last years number were record breaking and it was nearly impossible to live up to the hype this year. With Diggs getting so much attention, it should open up opportunities for the rest of the crew.

Two less catches is significant.  If someone went from 48 to 16 over 16 games you'd say they should be cut. 

24 yards less is also a big drop.

His stats are down.

And yes I'm saying get him the ball. 

Do you disagree with that assessment?

Again why are others putting up #'s and their QB looking for them? 

Im sorry, I dont view it as significant as you do.  He didnt go from 48 to 16.  He went from 127 to 94.  The math is extrapolated because they played 2 less games.  Could be more.  Could be less.  Travis Kelce's numbers are down more than Diggs.  

Yeah big drop in personal stats.  He is 11 yards a game from being 4th with Tyreek Hill.

Im not saying dont get him the ball.

No I dont disagree with getting him the ball more if its available.

Because some of those guys are the only guys on the team worth throwing the ball too.

Ill say this one more time.  You are making this out to be a big issue.  The fact is Diggs is seeing 1.4 less targets per game.  1.4 less targets a game is not that significant to me considering the coverage they are seeing is completely different from last season. 

The most catches in single games Diggs has seen all year were Steelers(9) and Titans(9).  We lost both those games.  He had 2 catches against the Chiefs. We won that game by 18 points. Diggs catching the ball more doesnt mean the Bills will win, which is all I care about.

Edited by Scott7975

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

Diggs ranks 7th in the NFL for targets.  On a team with as many weapons as the Bills, I don't think that's too shabby.

However interesting if you saw what I posted above, that targets down only 10%, but catches down 26%.  Maybe a lot were just throwaways (or DPI's not called😜) by Allen, which could skew the #'s. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.