Covid may decide who wins the AFC east

Niagara Dude

1 minute ago, Success said:

Honestly, I'd support that.

If a guy feels healthy, why can't he play?

If a guy is vaccinated and healthy I think they’re saying they can.  But if they are unvaccinated they are going to have a much higher possibility of getting ill and a much higher chance of transmitting the virus.  We are going to have to get more data on the omicron variant; right now it appears much more infectious but not near as virulent as other strains.  If that is the case then I think the answer to your question will be they play.  If not then they’d basically have to cancel the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Because he's contagious. Other than that, no reason.

I get that, but it's time to start looking at the risk.

Can he spread it?  Of course. So can someone who is vaccinated.  And what are they spreading now?  Something which appears to be quite a bit more mild. 

They have to confirm that. But COVID is just always going to be around. The way we're responding to it today is not the way we'll respond to it next year, or in 5 years.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

Bourne for Beasley is pretty even.

Nothing yet to indicate it will tip any scales one way or the other.   

Sort of?  Yes Bourne is probably their best receiver but the Pats spread the ball pretty evenly outside of Meyers and don't throw that much to begin with.  Beasley has almost twice the targets Bourne has. 97 to 53.  Meyers actually has 90 targets for the Pats.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Sort of?  Yes Bourne is probably their best receiver but the Pats spread the ball pretty evenly outside of Meyers and don't throw that much to begin with.  Beasley has almost twice the targets Bourne has. 97 to 53.  Meyers actually has 90 targets for the Pats.

Someone else made this point - it's not that it's a bad point, but losing Bourne is HUGE for the Pats passing game. Clearly, they do not rely on the pass as much.

But if they have to, it hurts them tremendously.  Especially w/ Aghelor & Harry both nursing injuries. It's not just plug & play there.  Losing Bourne is big for them if they wanted to try a more pass-oriented strategy this time (or, if they have to because they get behind).

9 minutes ago, Success said:

Can he spread it?  Of course. So can someone who is vaccinated.  And what are they spreading now?  Something which appears to be quite a bit more mild. 

They have to confirm that. But COVID is just always going to be around. The way we're responding to it today is not the way we'll respond to it next year, or in 5 years.

Absolutely next year will be different. For now we are in a situation where as recently as Sunday, Jon Feliciano went to the ER for this. Seems like a situation where some precautions are still in order. As the situation evolves the protocols should and will change.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Absolutely next year will be different. For now we are in a situation where as recently as Sunday, Jon Feliciano went to the ER for this. Seems like a situation where some precautions are still in order. As the situation evolves the protocols should and will change.

It's a good point.  In general, my personal philosophy is more to err on the side of caution, which is what they're doing.

But there is another side to it that I don't think quite as many people consider.  The more we let COVID rule our lives, the more it hurts many - economically & with regard to mental health. It's a really complicated issue.  I don't envy those who have to make these calls.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

It's a good point.  In general, my personal philosophy is more to err on the side of caution, which is what they're doing.

But there is another side to it that I don't think quite as many people consider.  The more we let COVID rule our lives, the more it hurts many - economically & with regard to mental health. It's a really complicated issue.  I don't envy those who have to make these calls.

There is certainly an opportunity cost to every decision. If the league and players feel so strongly that they need to play the games, they will change the rules like they already did. No easy answer to this one.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I just wrote on this point in a different thread.  

It's going to get worse and I will GUARANTEE you that the SB winner will be directly impacted by great luck with COVID.

Having the right COVID luck is going to be as important as having the best QB, or coach, or getting on a winning streak at the right time, or luck with injuries, etc.

It's going to decide the champion this year.

And since vaccinated players only have to test if they have symptoms, guys will hide symptoms once the stakes get that high.

God help the Buccaneers player who wants to report symptoms once the playoffs start. 

• Agree 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

And since vaccinated players only have to test if they have symptoms, guys will hide symptoms once the stakes get that high.

God help the Buccaneers player who wants to report symptoms once the playoffs start. 

Will Joe Buck say that a player is constantly blowing his nose and laying sluggishly on the bench because it is cold in the stadium?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Success said:

Someone else made this point - it's not that it's a bad point, but losing Bourne is HUGE for the Pats passing game. Clearly, they do not rely on the pass as much.

But if they have to, it hurts them tremendously.  Especially w/ Aghelor & Harry both nursing injuries. It's not just plug & play there.  Losing Bourne is big for them if they wanted to try a more pass-oriented strategy this time (or, if they have to because they get behind).

Yeah I agree somewhat.  Also around the league the Chiefs lost Hill and Kelce and a couple others.  Tampa lost pretty much everyone to injury.  It could be worse.  My fear is that its still early in the week.  Who knows if we will lose more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Somehow AB will unintentionally get Brady on the Covid list once the playoffs start.

12 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

On behalf of me,  thanks for your laughs. Just hope no keys players pick up Covid before Sunday because i really don't want to say i told you so.

Isn't the "New Protocol" that if your vaxxed and asymptomatic you get to play?

If your not vaxxed you just need a negative test 2 days in a row.

Sounds like 95% or more of the players would be eligible.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Somehow AB will unintentionally get Brady on the Covid list once the playoffs start.

Bromance in the showers? ;)

This is all getting ridiculous. May come to a point where we just write this season off and start thinking about the next. A bunch of players testing positive with no symptoms or cold like symptoms...here we are again talking more about protocols than the actual illness. 

Edited by Jpsredemption

12 hours ago, Success said:

Boy I hope you're right about this. I'm already dreading the coming next variant (after Omicron) being reported by the alarmists of the world. 

12 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Will Joe Buck say that a player is constantly blowing his nose and laying sluggishly on the bench because it is cold in the stadium?

I don't want to speculate......But,

22 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'm already dreading the coming next variant (after Omicron) being reported by the alarmists of the world. 

If you're dreading something that hasn't even happened, you may want to reconsider who the alarmist is :devil:

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Boy I hope you're right about this. I'm already dreading the coming next variant (after Omicron) being reported by the alarmists of the world. 

I don't want to speculate......But,

If the norm for viruses occurs the more it mutates the less virulent it should become.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Simon said:

If I'm the Bills GM, I have a great big old Covid party on Sunday night after the Pats game.

Invitations to every infected person I know and bring the whole roster in to share a wide variety of dips and punches.

Have a kissing booth, some small enclosed bouncy tents and a monoclonal station with free antibodies at the exit.

Get everybody a fat dose right now so nobody has to worry about it when the playoffs start.

haha.  I like it!  (But, you’re assuming that we can beat the Falcons with basically practice squad guys and street free agents).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.