Train Horn Haters - Alternate Ideas?

JohnBonhamRocks

27 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Almost as obnoxious as playing the shout song after a garbage time score in a blowout loss. Embarrassing

Never liked the shout song after a field goal either. We all understand the value of points, but unless it’s a game winner, field goals are always a let down in the moment. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Obviously all Buffalo’s struggles can be attributed to the 3rd down train horn. 

Many have voiced displeasure with the train horn, but I recall few suggesting what should be done/played on 3rd down instead.

Thundering herd of Buffalo buffalo?

Something similar to the Sabres goal horn?

Just play the Wilhelm Scream on a loop?

Any favorite 3rd down noises / approaches from around the league, college football, or other sports? For example, at Notre Dame the students take out their keys and shake them to make noise on 3rd down. 

I think something that reflects the fan base and region would be ideal. Interested to hear your thoughts!

(Hate to feel like I have to give a disclaimer, but yes I am aware there is a 2019 thread about this. Figured 2 years is long enough.)

Loud belch or fart noise?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I used to like it when they had Fred Flinstone & Barnie Rubble with their lodge hats on they would say "go go buffalo"

To update it, we could use Mike Schopp's face for Fred and Jerry Sullivan's for Barney. Except that would probably make the crowd boo vs. cheering louder.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I have always loved the train horn and I will always love the train horn.

I consider myself #1 authority on the matter, as someone who has been hit by a train.... and yet, i love the horn! Dunno why, dont care why, i say break it out on 1st, 2nd, 4th downs as well.  Add a 5th down, simply for more train horn!

On a serious note, I used to love the herd stampede noise!  People hate the train, they could easily pack it up for that one.  Do they still show the herd on the jumbotron on 3rds?  They did when i was  a kid

Edited by BillsShredder83

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I consider myself #1 authority on the matter, as someone who has been hit by a train.... and yet, i love the horn! Dunno why, dont care why, i say break it out on 1st, 2nd, 4th downs as well.  Add a 5th down, simply for more train horn!

Well who cares about the train horn! 

Tell us the story about getting hit by a train!

32 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Never liked the shout song after a field goal either. We all understand the value of points, but unless it’s a game winner, field goals are always a let down in the moment. 

I'd be entirely fine with getting rid of the shout song full stop! 

Probably not a popular opinion, but it's old, it's cheesy, it was never particularly special, and it hasn't aged particularly well.

It also conjures up images of a different era where the team was better than it is now.

The current team deserves its own schtick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Obviously all Buffalo’s struggles can be attributed to the 3rd down train horn. 

Many have voiced displeasure with the train horn, but I recall few suggesting what should be done/played on 3rd down instead.

Thundering herd of Buffalo buffalo?

Something similar to the Sabres goal horn?

Just play the Wilhelm Scream on a loop?

Any favorite 3rd down noises / approaches from around the league, college football, or other sports? For example, at Notre Dame the students take out their keys and shake them to make noise on 3rd down. 

I think something that reflects the fan base and region would be ideal. Interested to hear your thoughts!

(Hate to feel like I have to give a disclaimer, but yes I am aware there is a 2019 thread about this. Figured 2 years is long enough.)

I’m in favor of the Wilhelm scream.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, benderbender said:

The Mighty Taco's "Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayo!"

I would think the Mighty Taco would sound more like a whoopee cushion? A big, long, loud…..I think it would have to be distracting at least the first time! 

18 hours ago, HolySchmidt said:

I think “The Purge” siren would work.

care to elaborate what that is exactly? 🙂

edit: I googled its hideous lmao..ahem.....NO haha nice try 🙂 jmo

PS: I like your chat handle its right up my alley......how about cheese n crackers instead of taking the Lords name in vain :-))) it has actually helped me to not swear n say that it just comes out. Peace. m

Edited by Muppy

Thanks for all the great responses everyone!

My favorite idea is the thundering buffalo herd with fans stomping along. Maybe even mix the Falls in with the herd. 

I do like the work whistle idea, too. Checks the “reflect the fanbase” box. 

Interesting about Amtrak if that’s true. Most logical explanation I’ve seen for the train horn - money talks. 

41 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Thanks for all the great responses everyone!

My favorite idea is the thundering buffalo herd with fans stomping along. Maybe even mix the Falls in with the herd. 

I do like the work whistle idea, too. Checks the “reflect the fanbase” box. 

Interesting about Amtrak if that’s true. Most logical explanation I’ve seen for the train horn - money talks. 

Not bison, but this is cool...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.