[Edit] The Obligatory Edmunds Thread (was: Edmunds name-only title)

beacon

This thread brings up some conjecture/questions on my part

Would a switch back to a 4-3-4 (more traditional) D alignment help with the run game. Of course I am assuming they can get a better MLB and move Edmunds and Milano to the OLB positions.

is the reason the Bills use a 4-2-5 because they are concerned about their defensive backfield and want some help back there. Milano and Edmunds are pretty good in pass coverage (IMHO-which isn't worth much admittedly).

One of the reasons for asking is in next year's draft maybe using that first round pick on a really good MLB would solve a myriad of problems for the Bills D.

Wait until we play Tampa Bay this coming weekend.  Wish we could have helmet cams on their two linebackers "White and David" and stream this to  Milano ,Edmunds, Frasier and McDermott to watch the entire game.  Wow talk about an intervention!!!  LOL...  Our linebackers are below average in every single category when grading this position.   Want to see how linebackers are supposed to play watch Tampa's two this coming Sunday.   We can sit Milano and Edmunds on the damn bench for all I care they don't do squat except occupy space on the football field anyway.  They have zero impact on games and after last nights pathetic performance they are both expendable IMO.   Good riddance after this year to Edmunds, finally,  and just release Milano take the cap hit get some real linebackers via the draft or FA.  Neither are worth any of the money they are paid.  Period!!

Edited by Toyo321
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, zevo said:

I think he gets a lot of *****...but I also have zero desire to hand that man a huge contract...

That’s the issue for me.  You just cannot pay him the huge contract he is in line for.  He’s not a terrible player.  He has a lot of positives, but his problems along with what he soon will cost make me want to move on.  You can get an above average MLB who maintains his gap responsibilities for a whole lot less.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The guy does nothing well except fill out a Uniform.  People are obsessed with his size and speed metrics, and it gets in the way of reality when it comes to his play.    I heard an excellent point about him on the radio this morning.   Everyone remarks on his age, he is only 23 etc.  However, his age doesnt change the fact he has played in over 50 NFL games.  The guy is who he is.  

He can make tackles sideline to sideline as long as he is 100% clean from blockers.   The idea that he is somehow good in zone coverage blows my mind as well.  He is often out of his zone because he gets fooled easily by play action.    Good leader, below average football player and there is no way in heck the Bills should be looking to pay him 12-13 million dollars a year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

Go back and watch every single big play NE made on the ground... you'll notice 49 either completely washed out of the play, or fail to get off a block. 

Looks like tarzan, plays like jane. It's not going to improve. Let miami overpay him next year. 

He's garbage and has been for awhile.  His instincts are terrible. This Edmunds report was such nonsense. He does 1 thing well, cover TE's.  That's it.....literally that's it. Play Dotson, hell play Andre Smith more or just put Klein in there the remaining of the season. What a 1st round "trade up" project bust. 

• Like (+1) 2

I feel like a broken record on topics like this but Edmonds is the perfect example of the type of players this regime has drafted, particularly on defense:

1) undersized built to defend passing teams only

2) shows flashes of greatness at times but mostly invisible especially in big games

3) better suited to be playing in a 3-4 defense as an OLB pass rusher

With that said don't be surprised if he ends up on a different team down the road and flourishes but he's simply not a fit for whatever defensive scheme you want to call this crap under Frazier/McD and will continue to be a liability against teams that follow the Titans/Colts/Pats gameplans against us.

1 hour ago, entropyrules said:

This thread brings up some conjecture/questions on my part

Would a switch back to a 4-3-4 (more traditional) D alignment help with the run game. Of course I am assuming they can get a better MLB and move Edmunds and Milano to the OLB positions.

is the reason the Bills use a 4-2-5 because they are concerned about their defensive backfield and want some help back there. Milano and Edmunds are pretty good in pass coverage (IMHO-which isn't worth much admittedly).

One of the reasons for asking is in next year's draft maybe using that first round pick on a really good MLB would solve a myriad of problems for the Bills D.

It’s an excellent question that leads into another.  If you’re going to only play 2 LBers in your base defense, can you afford to have one of them blow assignments regularly in hopes that his splash plays make up for it?  To me, that’s an obvious no.  If you’ve only got one LB in the correct position, smart teams will eat you alive.

In the AFCCG, Mahomes ate him alive.  If Edmunds was out of position, he’d hit Kelce.  When he was in position, Pat just moved him with his eyes…and then hit Kelce anyway.

There’s a reason he has so many defenders.  He’s a talented guy, but he’s a really bad fit for this scheme.

5 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

Go back and watch every single big play NE made on the ground... you'll notice 49 either completely washed out of the play, or fail to get off a block. 

Looks like tarzan, plays like jane. It's not going to improve. Let miami overpay him next year. 

I never get tired of the Joel Buchsbaum sayings.  He obviously foresaw Tremaine Edmunds playing in the NFL.  

16 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I feel like a broken record on topics like this but Edmonds is the perfect example of the type of players this regime has drafted, particularly on defense:

1) undersized built to defend passing teams only

2) shows flashes of greatness at times but mostly invisible especially in big games

3) better suited to be playing in a 3-4 defense as an OLB pass rusher

With that said don't be surprised if he ends up on a different team down the road and flourishes but he's simply not a fit for whatever defensive scheme you want to call this crap under Frazier/McD and will continue to be a liability against teams that follow the Titans/Colts/Pats gameplans against us.

I think he’s a Will in a 4-3.  Let him start on one side of the field so that he can see the whole play in front of him and chase dudes down.  Don’t force him to make quick decisions when it’s clear he doesn’t have great instincts.  You don’t need a great athlete at MLB.  You need someone who can recognize a play and has a good first step.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gisele said:

He is the exact same player he was last year and the year before.  His game hasn't improved with his age.  I think he's old enough now that we can retire the "well, he's only ____yrs old".  He's a grown man and just isn't that good.

And it was never about raw "age" anyway.

It was really about "experience," and now he has quite a bit of that.

And I do agree; he hasn't really improved.  Looks like the same player.

Perhaps his hair isn't long enough !?!??!?

Edmunds and Milano are speedy, useful LBS. If our front is going to be pushed around by O-lines, they might give up yardage. Bottom line,  Hyde got victimized on Harris's long run and there were missed tackles on Harris's other long run Stephenson long run. You want to put the loss on Edmunds, it doesn’t explain the red zones failures in the 4th qtr. That's where I would start to fix this team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Edmunds and Milano are speedy, useful LBS. If our front is going to be pushed around by O-lines, they might give up yardage. Bottom line,  Hyde got victimized on Harris's long run and there were missed tackles on Harris's other long run Stephenson long run. You want to put the loss on Edmunds, it doesn’t explain the red zones failures in the 4th qtr. That's where I would start to fix this team.

It’s about more than that, though.  This should have been the easiest game of his career from an assignment perspective.  He didn’t have to worry about coverage.  He didn’t have to worry about misdirection plays or getting wiped out by pulling linemen.  He had one responsibility.  Fill your gap.

FWIW, I don’t think he was terrible, but he was far from perfect on a day where a more cerebral player could have been perfect.  This wasn’t Rodgers up there calling audibles.  It wasn’t Mahomes throwing no look passes or Brady making instant reads with pinpoint accuracy.  Hell, it wasn’t even the Colts with an elite line and RB.  It was Mac Jones handing the ball to his backs over and over and over.  It was an ugly rock fight which is what any good MLB should want.  Kuechly may have made 20 tackles in a game like that, but BB would never use that game plan against someone like him.

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

It’s about more than that, though.  This should have been the easiest game of his career from an assignment perspective.  He didn’t have to worry about coverage.  He didn’t have to worry about misdirection plays or getting wiped out by pulling linemen.  He had one responsibility.  Fill your gap.

FWIW, I don’t think he was terrible, but he was far from perfect on a day where a more cerebral player could have been perfect.  This wasn’t Rodgers up there calling audibles.  It wasn’t Mahomes throwing no look passes or Brady making instant reads with pinpoint accuracy.  Hell, it wasn’t even the Colts with an elite line and RB.  It was Mac Jones handing the ball to his backs over and over and over.  It was an ugly rock fight which is what any good MLB should want.  Kuechly may have made 20 tackles in a game like that, but BB would never use that game plan against someone like him.

I feel your frustration with the LBs in general. The problem is that TEs, Harry and that huge full back were getting to the 2nd level and our D-line was blocked by a talented O-line. The Bills stopped some runs early, but Edmunds didn't have his best game. I'm not excusing his performance, but he's an easy target. Did you hear Oliver,Star or Hughes's name mentioned last night. I thought Phillips and Poyer played well but Rousseau and Epenesa looked timid.

34 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

Watched the play break down.  Oliver was in the guard/center gap.  He needs to take those two on.  Instead he engages the center.  The guard moves to the next level.  He pushed Edmunds to the left of the hash mark.  The back side guard is steam rolling Milano to the same area.  Hyde had to choose the far side where the run was going or the cut back.  He was too slow to react to that cut back.  If you look, the OT was blocking Wallace.  WR Harry had Epenessa pushed inside and the full back took out Dodson.  Breakdown starts when one does not execute.  Oliver takes the OG/C double team leaves Edmunds to fill the hole and Hyde to cover the outside.  Thanks to Brian Baldinder

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Watched the play break down.  Oliver was in the guard/center gap.  He needs to take those two on.  Instead he engages the center.  The guard moves to the next level.  He pushed Edmunds to the left of the hash mark.  The back side guard is steam rolling Milano to the same area.  Hyde had to choose the far side where the run was going or the cut back.  He was too slow to react to that cut back.  If you look, the OT was blocking Wallace.  WR Harry had Epenessa pushed inside and the full back took out Dodson.  Breakdown starts when one does not execute.  Oliver takes the OG/C double team leaves Edmunds to fill the hole and Hyde to cover the outside.  Thanks to Brian Baldinder

Great breakdown, Edmunds, Dodson or Hyde, should have made a play. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.