Did Sean go too far calling out Mckenzie?

Niagara Dude

1 minute ago, BeastMaster said:

This might be the beginning of the end for McD

Seems like Bill broke him based on his decisions on and off the field these last 12 hrs

I'm guessing the McDermott is profoundly frustrated by the COVID situation. Dawkins hasn't been right since he was sick, Brown missed three games, Star missed another and now Klein missed one. In all cases, the players were badly needed. It's like he's been playing with a handicap all year long. Worse, he likely saw it coming when so many players were being coy about getting vaxxed. 

He's not dealing with his frustration very well. Even now, this team could go all the way, but he's throwing a hissy fit, not helpful at all. What happened to "trust the process," Sean? 

• Like (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Did Sean go too far calling out McKenzie after the game and answering on why he was not active?  The fact is Isaiah McKenzie has touched the football 131 times in the last three seasons he has 1 fumble. McKenzie saw McDermott’s comments tweeted and had just a one-word response: “Damn.” Maybe Sean should have also focused in on why his D cordinator took 3 quarters to adjust and start sending his LB up the gap when the PATS guard pulled or how his TE  dropped key passes all night and should have been more physical with DB's and fighting harder for position to catch balls that are there. Knox's blunders last night were far worse than McKenzie's one fumble because we actually had a opportunity to win had he made some of those catches.  

So while I was also pissed at Mckenzie for his massive fumble against Colts I think Sean should not have aired dirty laundry about Mckenzie and not call out others. As far I am concern the Bills might as well cut McKenzie this morning,  because it does not sound like Sean plans on trusting him to return kicks.  Go sign John Brown or some other WR that could help because after those comments Mckenzie is done. 

Along with Knox, Breida was shaky last night also!

• Like (+1) 1

I just don't like the selective accountability. He'll trash McKenzie publicly but not anyone else. Moss being active made 0 sense. Obada being inactive after one of his best games also was curious to me. Refusing to throw mid range passes until the 4th Q, also questionable. At some point the HC needs to make adjustments,  but instead throws a guy who wasn't even playing under the bus

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McDermott even was out of character when he spoke out against Bellicheat after the game saying quote: Let's not give more credit than we need to give Bill Belichick in this one. Bellichick has always shown McDermott more respect than any other opposing coach Ive ever seen him show.

To me this all adds up to McDermott feeling embarrassed on NATIONAL TV in the worst possible way. Being out physically. Basically Bellicheat took McDermott/Beane defense and made it his B word. 

Edited by Protocal69
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, finn said:

The benching I don't mind, but the comment about not trusting them is petty, self-indulgent and destructive. The players won't like that. Will he say anything about Knox or Breida? If not, why not? He also threw Daboll under the bus after the game and refused to credit Belichick. In other words, everyone is to blame except him. 

If that's the logic, then Belichick didn't thank McD for playing into his hands so he's the bigger offender. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

McDermott even was out of character when he spoke out against Bellicheat after the game saying quote: Let's not give more credit than we need to give Bill Belichick in this one. Bellichick has always shown McDermott more respect than any other opposing coach Ive ever seen him show.

To me this all adds up to McDermott feeling embarrassed on NATIONAL TV in the worst possible way. Being out physically. Basically Bellicheat took McDermott/Beane defense and made it his B word. 

Exactly 

Coach got owned and he couldn't take it.

Chess vs Checkers

We need a better coach

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/12/bills-isaiah-mckenzie-has-one-word-response-to-sean-mcdermotts-lack-of-trust-in-returners.html

McDermott was asked why he kept both of them (McKittrick and Stevenson) down for this game and he referred to the play in the game where the Patriots muffed a punt and it lead to the Bills touchdown.

“The same reason they turned it over on their punt return team - I didn’t want to do that,” McDermott said. “I wanted to put a guy back there that I trusted and was gonna make good decisions with the ball.”

McDermott is an idiot.  McKenzie was among the league's best returners prior to being benched.  This is a really dumb way to "make a statement," and it's hurting the team.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The coaching staff should get the credit for the loss on this game, absolutely horrible in game calls.  It’s like McClappy didn’t realize he could defer the ball in the 3rd and take the wind, ya know in a tight game where your kicker said he isn’t comfortable at more than an extra point going against the wind.  Then the Challenge you had not shot on, then the time out to set up Moss running into the back of his “blockers”.  Then he had the balls to call out guys he made inactive and put Breida back to return a kick after the guy had JUST fumbled and cost us points..  yeah he’s all over it.  I wish there was any chance they would fire him.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

19 shoulda been active and where the hell are the jet sweeps that gain 8 yards per play on average? 19 is a huge weapon that these morons treat like trash. 

The few Jet sweeps we tried got blown up due to piss poor blocking so Daboll has removed that from being used.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Did Sean go too far calling out McKenzie after the game and answering on why he was not active?  The fact is Isaiah McKenzie has touched the football 131 times in the last three seasons he has 1 fumble. McKenzie saw McDermott’s comments tweeted and had just a one-word response: “Damn.” Maybe Sean should have also focused in on why his D cordinator took 3 quarters to adjust and start sending his LB up the gap when the PATS guard pulled or how his TE  dropped key passes all night and should have been more physical with DB's and fighting harder for position to catch balls that are there. Knox's blunders last night were far worse than McKenzie's one fumble because we actually had a opportunity to win had he made some of those catches.  

So while I was also pissed at Mckenzie for his massive fumble against Colts I think Sean should not have aired dirty laundry about Mckenzie and not call out others. As far I am concern the Bills might as well cut McKenzie this morning,  because it does not sound like Sean plans on trusting him to return kicks.  Go sign John Brown or some other WR that could help because after those comments Mckenzie is done.

I think you're taking McDermott's comments too far.  Those were extraordinary conditions last night, and McKenzie has shown struggles tracking the ball when it does unusual things (that kickoff!) and Stevenson just muffed last game.  Micah Hyde is way better than either of them at tracking a difficult ball and has sure hands.

On the other hand - McKenzie nailed it with his response, and yes, those comments were poorly judged and inappropriate. 

Coach McD:

McDermott was asked why he kept both of them down for this game and he referred to the play in the game where the Patriots muffed a punt and it lead to the Bills touchdown.  “The same reason they turned it over on their punt return team - I didn’t want to do that,” McDermott said. “I wanted to put a guy back there that I trusted and was gonna make good decisions with the ball.”
The implication there is that McDermott didn’t trust McKenzie or Stevenson to handle the kick and punt return duties. Instead he had safety Micah Hyde return punts and running back Matt Breida return kicks.

Isaiah's response to the bolded:

McDermott could have made it into a positive thing, and said something like "Micah Hyde is one of the best safeties in the league and has some of the best ball tracking skills I've ever seen and sure hands - on a horrible day I trust him the most.

He didn't.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

Yeah!!!! Gave up 14 points humiliating!!!! I guess going 1-4 in the red zone had nothing to do with the loss. If Diggs makes the catch and the pats lose all the talk is on how they can’t trust Jones. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2021/12/bills-isaiah-mckenzie-has-one-word-response-to-sean-mcdermotts-lack-of-trust-in-returners.html

McDermott was asked why he kept both of them (McKittrick and Stevenson) down for this game and he referred to the play in the game where the Patriots muffed a punt and it lead to the Bills touchdown.

“The same reason they turned it over on their punt return team - I didn’t want to do that,” McDermott said. “I wanted to put a guy back there that I trusted and was gonna make good decisions with the ball.”

McDermott is an idiot.  McKenzie was among the league's best returners prior to being benched.  This is a really dumb way to "make a statement," and it's hurting the team.

Thank you @Gugny   for finally bringing evidence to this thread.

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.