Did Sean go too far calling out Mckenzie?

Niagara Dude

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

There's calling out problem areas and then there's throwing players under a bus.  His wording and delivery were terrible.  

Disagree. My god in heaven, the coach gave a straight answer!

Have we not seen the fumbles by McKenzie and Stevenson? Are we ***** blind?

In a potentially wet and windy game that's likely going to be decided by one score, McD should absolutely put someone back there who he trusts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Looked like a routine handoff to Peyton Manning and Eli Manning too

Breida was kept in for KR that were expected to go into the EZ.  He actually wasn't used on offense after that fumble, which took away a whole chunk of run plays we needed.

Agree with last part. Moss is not good. One yard and dust, missed opportunity to bounce outside easy walk in td. His problems is he is slow and lack of vision.  Brieda would be much better even tho he made a mistake. Still don't get Moss why Moss gets it more. Brieda helped Bills huge last game. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

In a potentially wet and windy game that's likely going to be decided by one score, McD should absolutely put someone back there who he trusts.

I agree.

This is over-reaction angry fan day at TBD today.  He gave a straight forward answer and if McKenzie is hurt over his comments , he isn't  emotionally mature enough to play in the NFL, imo.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

We've seen exactly one fumble by McKenzie this season.  And he was in the top 3 for returns in the NFL when he got benched.

I'll concede that the conditions may have justified using Poyer over McKenzie.  But cite the reasons/logic behind the move in a professional manner.  

For example:  "In the xxxxx game earlier in the season, we saw McKenzie struggle a bit with unpredictable kicks.  We just felt like Poyer is better suited to receive kicks in these particular conditions."

Instead of - "I wanted to put a guy back there that I trusted and was gonna make good decisions with the ball.”

It's not like there has ever been a trend of McKenzie muffing or fumbling returns.  It's never been close to a trend.  He's one of the best returners in the NFL and it is utterly asinine to bench him, then publicly disrespect him.  

Total Bush League move on McDermott's part.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree.

This is over-reaction angry fan day at TBD today.  He gave a straight forward answer and if McKenzie is hurt over his comments , he isn't  emotionally mature enough to play in the NFL, imo.

He gave an "I don't trust my players" answer.  He could have given a straightforward answer (as I outlined above) that chose to be positive rather than to dump on guys who are already upset because they were benched during a game when (McKenzie at least) with his misdirection and threat of reverses/jet sweeps, could potentially have helped the team.  You're giving two guys who are struggling with being benched an extra dump.  Pointless.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

For example:  "In the xxxxx game earlier in the season, we saw McKenzie struggle a bit with unpredictable kicks.  We just felt like Poyer is better suited to receive kicks in these particular conditions."

Poyer went back to receive a kick?  When?

KR I saw was Mr Fumble, Breida.  PR was Hyde.  And there's no need to bring struggles into it. 

Just say Hyde, as one of the best safeties in the league, has among the best ball-tracking skills and the surest hands on the team and those were more important in the weather conditions than superior returning skills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Yup

That game was meant for gadgets and jet sweeps

Agreed. Besides if the "issue" is his returns. Here is an idea, dont have him return kicks and just let him be on offense where he has shown he can a lot of good things.

It's like benching Shaq, because the coaches make him bring the ball down the floor as a point guard instead of letting him play in the post. (Granted, is not McKenzie is not a HOF talent Shaq was, but I think everyone should get my point)

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe its more than just the fumble with the Colts game?  For all we know, McKenzie might have been making mistakes in practice and muffing balls.  Also sounds like its more than just a fumble, he said "good decisions", so could be McKenzie has made some poor decisions in regards of when to return or not to return.  

I have a feeling he is mad at McKenzie for more than the fumble.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

We've seen exactly one fumble by McKenzie this season.  And he was in the top 3 for returns in the NFL when he got benched.

I'll concede that the conditions may have justified using Poyer over McKenzie.  But cite the reasons/logic behind the move in a professional manner.  

Instead of - "I wanted to put a guy back there that I trusted and was gonna make good decisions with the ball.”

It's not like there has ever been a trend of McKenzie muffing or fumbling returns.  It's never been close to a trend.  He's one of the best returners in the NFL and it is utterly asinine to bench him, then publicly disrespect him.  

Total Bush League move on McDermott's part.

And McKenzie tripping and fumbling without even being touched is about as bush league as it gets for a returner.

I'll concede that McDermott is human and extremely frustrated after that loss and that will probably show through in his words.

While McKenzie is sad that McD doesn't trust him, I'm sure Hyde is happy that McD does trust him. 

.... and the world keeps on turning.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

He did.

Coach is cracking just like he did in the game, and now he's gonna be known for throwing players under the bus instead of putting it on himself

Oh dear. I dunno. Is this the reality yet? meh is that his MO? really?

• Like (+1) 1

Listening to 98.5 The Sports Hub Boston today. They are roasting McDermott over a spit, and he deserves it. He really lost his cool the last week or two and he's in danger of losing the locker room. Surprisingly the Boston guys have been very complimentary of Allen's game yesterday.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He gave an honest answer. He also mentioned Brieda's fumble. Should he be pissed too? Not playing McKenzie isn't why we lost. The answer coach gave should light a fire under McKenzie's ass. We cannot turn the ball over and win. If I heard it right, NE's RB (Stevenson) fumbled early in the season and BB sat him for 3 games. He came back only to fumble again. BB sat him again. The only difference is Sean mentioned not trusting Isaiah when asked, where BB will not give reporters anything to chew on. If the locker room is lost based on this, the players are week minded, not the coach. These are grown ass men, not high school kids. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No, I found it refreshing.

McD rarely calls out players.

McKenzie has had an issue with ball security for some time and he even mentioned so in an interview a few weeks (months?) back. 

1 fumble. That's it. In a game where they got destroyed on defense (his specialty). If he had drafted him I bet he plays. 

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Did Sean go too far calling out McKenzie after the game and answering on why he was not active?  The fact is Isaiah McKenzie has touched the football 131 times in the last three seasons he has 1 fumble. McKenzie saw McDermott’s comments tweeted and had just a one-word response: “Damn.” Maybe Sean should have also focused in on why his D cordinator took 3 quarters to adjust and start sending his LB up the gap when the PATS guard pulled or how his TE  dropped key passes all night and should have been more physical with DB's and fighting harder for position to catch balls that are there. Knox's blunders last night were far worse than McKenzie's one fumble because we actually had a opportunity to win had he made some of those catches.  

So while I was also pissed at Mckenzie for his massive fumble against Colts I think Sean should not have aired dirty laundry about Mckenzie and not call out others. As far I am concern the Bills might as well cut McKenzie this morning,  because it does not sound like Sean plans on trusting him to return kicks.  Go sign John Brown or some other WR that could help because after those comments Mckenzie is done. 

No Isiahs an NFL player time for him to put on his big boy pants 

Did anyone happen to see the episode of the Colts Hard Knocks, from the week that they prepped, and destroyed the Bills?  It got me thinking that other teams don't really respect the Bills as much as we might have thought.  Not sure if McDermott saw it, or heard about it.  But, in the aftermath of their big win, Colts players were making comments (not unlike Jags players a few weeks earlier) about how the Bills "didn't want it", or "don't seem to care".  They mention how they wanted revenge for their playoff loss last year, but the Bills just didn't seem to amped up for the game....it was an easy win.

Sorry, can't remember the exact quotes...but they are discussing McKenzies fumbled punt, and one of the Colts players said something like "we knew they were sloppy with the ball, so we expected it...but I was surprised he coughed it up like that".  A few days after this aired, we came to find out that McKenzie was benched (or as he said on twitter, "out for the rest of the season")...maybe it wasn't the result of the show, but it sounded like the Colts players and coaches expected the Bills to be undisciplined...it was a poor reflection on the Bills coaching, I thought at the time.

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Listening to 98.5 The Sports Hub Boston today. They are roasting McDermott over a spit, and he deserves it. He really lost his cool the last week or two and he's in danger of losing the locker room. Surprisingly the Boston guys have been very complimentary of Allen's game yesterday.

I'll get flamed here but Ive witnessed it in person in baaston and its legit. For however ball-washy national pundits may be about the pats* the Boston sportgs writers were to me refreshingly candid and unbiased considering all things. City Boston is NOT faaxbarrah

#fact

McKenzie became a Buffalo Bill because he was a horrific fumbler on special teams with Denver.

He has mostly avoiding issue this season but when you were THAT BAD...........people always worry about you falling off the fumble wagon again.

I don't trust the ***** either.

That said.........would like to see him used on offense.     In addition to the misdirection they've used him on they should have been using him out of the backfield all season to add some speed to their run game and give them a RAC threat on RB screens.   

I'm not giving up on this team but very disappointed that the coaching staff hasn't used their continuity to their advantage here by making their offense and defense more complicated to defend.    It's like they have never practiced a 5 man D Line to guard against a "run-only" game plan or a series of plays where they just run the QB in the event of the wind being so outrageous they can't throw the ball at all.   

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

What DIDN’T happen was a ST turnover which surely would’ve contributed to a loss. As others here love to argue, McKittrick has “Only One fumble”, the shrimp has double-dribbled many kick returns he, his teammates and the sidelines have covered up for. Yes, he’s a quick little runner. But there’s a reason so few of his ilk Don’t play in the NFL.

I haven’t yet heard Sean’s comment so I won’t comment here. (OP, it’s on you to provide links to back up audacious accusations in the thread start @Niagara Dude 😡) but #19 should be cut, imo.

Then cut Josh, Breida, Singletary, Moss, Knox etc because they all make game changing mistakes.

8 minutes ago, Muppy said:

I'll get flamed here but Ive witnessed it in person in baaston and its legit. For however ball-washy national pundits may be about the pats* the Boston sportgs writers were to me refreshingly candid and unbiased considering all things. City Boston is NOT faaxbarrah

#fact

The guys on 98.5 are surprisingly even-handed. Nothing they said about the Bills today was wrong. Zolak even said he expects the Bills to win in 3 weeks in Foxboro because they are a more talented team. They also said something interesting about Terry Pegula taking notes during the game in the owners box, which the press sits next to. He's in there with Beane and the personnel people, calmly taking it all in. Now that could be taken as a "RED ALERT" by us fans.

https://985thesportshub.com/episodes/mac-jones-not-throwing-bills-crying-after-the-game-sean-mcdermott-shades-bill-belichick-12-7-hour-2/

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.