Fournette wasted opportunity.

newcam2012

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Allen may have the opposite attraction for a running back.  If I'm a RB that wants say 20 carries a game, after watching Buffalo last season why would I want to come here?  Say what you want about Brady, but over the years he's used the running game more.  On the other hand if you're a WR or even a RB that likes making catches out of the backfield, Buffalo and KC are the places to go.

I'm sure they can improve the running game in the off season, both by changes to the line and RB too, but not everyone would want to come here.

RB? Brady has made many. RB look like a HOF with catches out of the backfield threw out his career.. WR your right but Moss loved Brady.. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills had a chance to pick up Fournette. Easy to play armchair QB but I remember wanting the Bills to sign him. Instead the Bills are left with Moss, Motor, and Breida. None of these guys compare to Fournette. The Bills as many other teams whiffed on him. 

LAMP post

21 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

RB? Brady has made many. RB look like a HOF with catches out of the backfield threw out his career.. WR your right but Moss loved Brady.. 

Agree Brady worked with a tone of different RB's over the years and he did throw to them.  Even there, one of the complaints about Allan lately is his lack of willingness to checking down.

Remember, Chicks love the long ball!

If we had picked him through the waiver wire, then we were on the hook for the big contract that Jacksonville had signed him.

Once he cleared waiver wire, he was free to sign with anyone....and he chose Tampa Bay considering he was already a Florida native and having a chance to play with Tom Brady

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills had a chance to pick up Fournette. Easy to play armchair QB but I remember wanting the Bills to sign him. Instead the Bills are left with Moss, Motor, and Breida. None of these guys compare to Fournette. The Bills as many other teams whiffed on him. 

He might easily have gotten us a few extra yards more than Devin and Moss behind this OL. Maybe.

But with his salary on our current cap, we'd be around $2M over the cap.

2 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Singletary has 1921 rushing yards the past 39 games……Fournette has 2140 in the same 39 games.

Yup. And Singletary has significantly fewer carries.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Allen may have the opposite attraction for a running back.  If I'm a RB that wants say 20 carries a game, after watching Buffalo last season why would I want to come here?  Say what you want about Brady, but over the years he's used the running game more.  On the other hand if you're a WR or even a RB that likes making catches out of the backfield, Buffalo and KC are the places to go.

I'm sure they can improve the running game in the off season, both by changes to the line and RB too, but not everyone would want to come here.

I'm not buying the he didn't want to come to Buffalo. Buffalo was and is a place lots of players want to play at. Buffalo has a solid reputation now and the team is looked at as a top tier AFC team by many. I believe they could have landed him if they really wanted too. At that time, I felt like he was worth getting vs an unknown or mediocre RB from the draft. Let's not forget Fournette was a beast for awhile in Jacksonville. We all should have known the talent was there. 

The front office has failed to adequately provide a solid running game with a solid offensive line. Until then hope and pray Allen is "god like" on the field. 

3 hours ago, JY422 said:

This line of thinking is true for every team who doesn’t pick 1st in every round. 
Think how many fans are saying the same thing about Allen, White, Knox, Edmunds, Davis, etc. 

Also keep in mind how important culture is to McBean when they draft. Not saying Fournette is a bad fit for the Bills but I don’t get worn out second guessing their draft history. Like every team, they’ve had some “woulda, coulda, shoulda’s” but they’ve also build this team into a contender for years to come. I say let’s ride with these guys win or lose and at the end of the day be grateful for what we have!

Right on!

8 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I understand why teams passed on Fournette.  He was viewed as a malcontent and had issues getting along with teammates.  Jacksonville sat him because of a lack of preparation and game day effort.  I give him credit for turning things around but I don't fault the Bills for passing on him.

This is fair. 👍

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Seeing as how Fournette has never averaged over 4.5 ypc in his career I'm not sure how 7 carries a game would make him much better than Singletary's 7 carries a game.

Are you saying Singletary is better than Fournette? Can Singletary get into the end zone? Let's get real. 

8 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

Singletary has 1921 rushing yards the past 39 games……Fournette has 2140 in the same 39 games.

How many TDs jas he scored? Singletary can't move a pile or get a 1 yard on 3rd down. Why you think they drafted Moss. 

Edited by newcam2012

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He might easily have gotten us a few extra yards more than Devin and Moss behind this OL. Maybe.

But with his salary on our current cap, we'd be around $2M over the cap.

Yup. And Singletary has significantly fewer carries.

Come on Thurman, Singletary is a dime a dozen in the NFL. Nothing special about the guy. He's replaceable in a heart beat. The Bills brass drafted Moss and seemingly liked him better. They both are adequate at best. At least Fournette can find the end zone and get the tough yards on 3rd and 4th down. 

5 hours ago, thronethinker said:

Buffalo had 6 chances to draft Brady……

So true and good point. Buffalo missed it but so did every other team except the Patriots. The comparasion isnt really fair because Fournette was a known commodity. His production went downhill due to being in Jacksonville and being unhappy. His skill set was pretty well known. People here tend to forget how effective he was. Playerprofiler.com has him ranked as RB12. Yet, you guys want sell me Singletary. Lol

Edited by newcam2012

11 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Being in Jax at the time he became available, I can tell you his press was terrible, his attitude was terrible, he was playing uninspired, W’as also having off field issues and he just looked like he really didn’t cRe about football at the time.  Got to give Him credit, he remade his image and he looks like the antithesis of the rb he was while in Jax!  I think that’s why so many teams passed on him. Honestly, I thought he was going to be out of the league very shortly. Just goes to show, the culture and right situation can make or break careers in the NFL!  Given the Bills lack of success until just now, he may not have turned his career around like he did at Tampa. I don’t blame the Bills for that choice , but not taking a 2000 yard back like dobbins who fell to you , going for a project like epenesa , sticking with two 3 rd round rbs from schools that don’t play nearly the competition dobbins played against, will continue to haunt them.  After dobbins recovers , epenesa ( where. You are supposed to see the biggest improvement from the first to second years , similar to Moss)  will continue to be a spot player and I just don’t see moss having the speed or the advertised power to become a special player. 

So missing on a player having proven issues in the NFL, is something I think was explainable.   Going back to back on 3 rd rd Rbs , passing on a proven 2000 yd rb who also is a good receiver for a dl falling down the board related to speed issues and still only sees spot duty is partly responsible for our lack of a viable running  game. I like Beane a lot as a good communicator, fairly good gm with a distinct vision , but his lack of addressing a true edge rusher ( groot has potential, not there yet) , sticking with the same o line that showed issues in last years afc championship loss, and under valuing the rb position are things I believe will keep us from being a bona fide SB contender this year. We might get there ,,,,but beating the Bucs who I believe will be from the nfc , looks impossible as we are still a mostly one dimensional team.   I hope he learns from this and has a better off season filling in those last parts. New England sure made up lots of ground in a year , so now he has more pressure than just addressing beating the Chiefs. 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.