Referee Tony Corrente corrupt as *****!!!

Bubba Gump

1 hour ago, Billever76 said:

So you are now not allowed to look at the opposing teams sidelines? 😂

Not in the NFL, just like standing over a guy after you tackle him, it's illegal whether you say something or not.

You guys act like this kid made a tackle, looked over towards the sideline and walked away. 

Which, is completely untrue, he walked over put on a "look at me" show. Then he got penalized for it, which isn't crazy considering the point of emphasis on taunting. 

He should have celebrated with his teammates and left the field. 

I don't intend to change anyone's mind, you can't change mine either though.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm really confused by all of this. I guess the optics is that he threw the flag right after the contact with the player, but he called taunting for the player staring down the Steelers bench. If the contact had to do with the flag, he would have called something besides taunting, like contacting the official or something, which you can get thrown out of the game for.

But he didn't. He called taunting. It is a judgement call and he judged that there was taunting, something that is being emphasized this year (which is dumb).

This seems like any other dumb taunting penalty we have seen this year. I don't see why this has everyone more angry than others in previous weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Not in the NFL, just like standing over a guy after you tackle him, it's illegal whether you say something or not.

You guys act like this kid made a tackle, looked over towards the sideline and walked away. 

Which, is completely untrue, he walked over put on a "look at me" show. Then he got penalized for it, which isn't crazy considering the point of emphasis on taunting. 

He should have celebrated with his teammates and left the field. 

I don't intend to change anyone's mind, you can't change mine either though.

That's how I see it too. Looking at the sideline isn't a penalty. Looking at the sidelines to taunt them is. Standing over a player isn't a penalty. Standing over a player to taunt them is. Yelling isn't a penalty. Yelling to taunt someone is. It isn't the physical act, it is the intent of the act. We all know when we see it. What he did was taunting, however mild it was.

I think they have gone way too far with it this year. A little taunting is not a big deal. But rules are rules. Players need to have disciplined minds to know that any little thing will get called. Go run towards a teammate and flex at him, if you must. Go out of your way to make sure you are not giving the appearance of taunting. Not because it is right, but because you will potentially get a flag thrown for it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SCBills said:

Noticing more and more people call out officiating this year.  

It’s bad, and more than just the typical “refs hate us” fans are talking about it. 

The quality of officiating has dropped precipitously, such that they are acting on instructions from the league to make games closer and the same old Most-Favored-Teams & Most Favored Players… or something is doing with betting. It’s been bad before but not to this level.

I had four games on screens this weekend and it was like every play, three games had a flag. The fields are being carpeted yellow. And it’s becoming unwatchable like this.

• Like (+1) 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/09/matt-nagy-thought-65-yard-field-goal-and-hail-mary-had-about-the-same-chance-of-success/

The video is the part that is really interesting in this.

Simms calls out Corrente, not for being on the take, but for actually having issues with individual players, citing something that happened between him and Corrente, after he complained (including a traditional f-bomb) about a  particularly late hit.

Basically, after any sort of break (commercial, t.o. etc.) the ref normally gives a quick signal to the QB, before the whistle gets blown to start the clock again. After the complaint by Simms, there was nothing from Corrente. When challenged about it, by Simms, his answer was along the lines of 'are you going to apologise for being disrespectful to me before?'

It would seem that the likeliest explanation of what happened, is that Corrente took an opportunity to screw someone over on the Bears (probably Marsh), for earlier perceived insults.

Something really should be done about this, but it probably won't be.

Which is a pity, as it might have lead to Hughes getting more than one holding call a game, if the Zebras thought they were going to be held to account for pettiness.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buddo said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/09/matt-nagy-thought-65-yard-field-goal-and-hail-mary-had-about-the-same-chance-of-success/

Simms calls out Corrente, not for being on the take, but for actually having issues with individual players, citing something that happened between him and Corrente, after he complained (including a traditional f-bomb) about a  particularly late hit.

Basically, after any sort of break (commercial, t.o. etc.) the ref normally gives a quick signal to the QB, before the whistle gets blown to start the clock again. After the complaint by Simms, there was nothing from Corrente. When challenged about it, by Simms, his answer was along the lines of 'are you going to apologise for being disrespectful to me before?'

It would seem that the likeliest explanation of what happened, is that Corrente took an opportunity to screw someone over on the Bears (probably Marsh), for earlier perceived insults.

Something really should be done about this, but it probably won't be.

Which is a pity, as it might have lead to Hughes getting more than one holding call a game, if the Zebras thought they were going to be held to account for pettiness.

wow—  that is so petty. That guy should seriously be banned from reffing games. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Maybe if that idiot wasn’t acting like a tough guy walking towards the Steelers Punter/sideline the flag would have never been thrown. 

They rely on people like you who do their work for them as far as defending their integrity. Congrats 👏 good work helping a professional ‘sports’ (entertainment license) league fix games

I was going to make a thread on the league being fixed after the blatant Jax game rigging, but others have jumped in. Glad to see so many people waking up. 

-NFL has an entertainment license not a sporting one (only wwe and roller derby share this similarity as far as pro sports go)

-you all need to look up court cases involving the nfl. They always use the defense that they’re one entity—one corporation—not 32 separate franchises as everyone would assume. This allows them to be classified as entertainment. 
-look up the Supreme Court case resulting from a jets fan suing the league after spygate. He and his lawyer argued the league had committed consumer fraud and that he never would have bought season tickets if he knew it wasn’t a legitimate sporting event. The judge ruled his ticket only granted him access into the stadium and that the nfl was under no obligation to provide a fair sporting contest because legally, the nfl is considered entertainment. 
-the amount of spread busters, ludicrous endings I might add, that occur in the nfl is actually comical. 

A common argument is “well how could everyone be in on it and they keep it quiet, no one has ever said anything from within the league.”

-It’s absolutely not everyone. There are NDAs in all nfl contracts, but what it appears to me is that each team has a few coaches and players who actively help steer outcomes on the field. The refs are clearly fixing and steering, this shouldn’t even be a question at this point. I won’t mention who in the Bills is helping this imo bc I don’t see the point. 
-There has been a whistle blower, a very recent one. And he had two pick sixes in a super bowl. Dwight Smith of the Bucs 

The Raiders Bucs super bowl was blatant. Even Tim Brown and Jerry Rice couldn’t contain themselves here. They had a totally different offense and then Callaghan goes back to the gruden one on Saturday the day before. Barrett Robins disappearance should Make a bit more sense now. 

I would get into the truth of the Hail Murray, but this board isn’t ready for that. 

The league is fixed. It’s entertainment not sport. They craft narratives and market them. That’s why weeks ago I said the Pats would play in the super bowl against the Bucs this year. Universally laughed at by the board, followed by comments of how bad the Pats are.

exactly what I said is happening is happening. Game manager rookie carried by defense and Belichek’s ‘genius.’ While obviously it’s still very early, I don’t see people laughing at the notion now. In fact there have been numerous threads on the real threat the Pats represent. The thing is, you all haven’t been watching the cheats play and seeing how much help they’re getting from the zebras, you’re just seeing the outcome. The nfl is repeating 2001 w Jones in place of Tommy Terrific. The narrative is who is the real reason for the Pats dynasty Bill or Tom. They will keep this going and I believe it’s the preferred narrative they wish to play out. Last year was the passing of the torch Possibility between mahomes and Brady. Green Bay was clearly the best team, but like in the pats hey day the Bucs dbs were allowed to maul opposing wrs. Such a great defense! 😂 yeah gbay and others got the colts treatment. Hard to get your offense going when the opposing team isn’t called for flags. 

im sure you all noticed this happen to us against the chiefs. We didn’t play our best but our receivers were mauled with almost no flags. It’s a joke. It’s clearly fixed. 

Flame away, but I went over about half of what I could’ve. I think a lot of people are starting to wake up with all this.

*btw Dwight mentions Jim Kelly! 

Edited by BassToMouth
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, Buddo said:

The manner in which he made the call felt petty and vengeful. He waited over 5 seconds for Marsh to walk by him, gave him a slight hip check, and threw the flag and raised his arm like he was making a 3 pointer lol. Never seen anything like that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Look no farther than this exact play to see that the NFL is now fixed to benefit what the money wants to see. I thought is was bad before, but nothing compares to the blatant corruption in 2021.

This is what the USA has become.

Thanks Joe Biden 

Truthfully Taunting [very subjective call] should just be a fine, perhaps escalating for repeat offenses.  Penalizing a team for an action by one player that has nothing to do with the play is IMHO idiotic.  Yes the players are very well paid, but perhaps a taunting penalty of $25K first offense, $100K second, and one game suspension for a third or subsequent would cure this without affecting the game being played.  Same thing with non-contact unsportmanlike. 

Who knows how many of these are because the ref is having a bad day, had a bad travel experience on the way to the game, or is under the sway of people who want to influence the game outcome [Remember Tim Donaghy in the NBA]. 

IMHO The Tre White penalty kerfuffle against Jax falls into this category.

The other thing is the subjectivity of holding calls.  If the holding on the Derrick Henry TD in the Tenn game didn't rise to the level of a flag, then that should become the new standard example for not calling holding.  Right now a ref could call holding on every single play, likely on both the offense and the defense, but they pick and choose.

Edited by BearNorth
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.