[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I've lost 2 close family friends to drunk drivers in the last 18 months. If he is guilty I hope he gets the maximum sentence. I have no tolerance for these idiotic a ss holes. Like he didn't have the money for an uber. Let him run fly routes in prison.

This doesn't make it any better, but I believe NFL players have access to ride share services free of charge anyways so he doesn't even need money for an Uber.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Also, for all of you on this board that occasionally drink and drive (and I know you're out there), remember that this could happen to you.

I have a cousin whose entire family (wife and 2 kids) was wiped out by a drunk driver.  Of course, the perp survived.

My rule is that if I take the car out of the house - I do not have a single drink.  If you intend to drink or think it's a possibility you might be tempted to, take an Uber or Lyft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Also, for all of you on this board that occasionally drink and drive (and I know you're out there), remember that this could happen to you.

I have a cousin whose entire family (wife and 2 kids) was wiped out by a drunk driver.  Of course, the perp survived.

My rule is that if I take the car out of the house - I do not have a single drink.  If you intend to drink or think it's a possibility you might be tempted to, take an Uber or Lyft.

This.  I spent my late teens/early 20s working in a pediatric ER.

I am speaking my personal moral judgement here, not the law which varies from state to state but IMHO if you drink over the limit (or use drugs) and get behind the wheel of a car, intentional murder is just what you've done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This doesn't make it any better, but I believe NFL players have access to ride share services free of charge anyways so he doesn't even need money for an Uber.

Pretty sure most teams offer concierge type ride share where someone gets you and your car home safely and its available 24/7 to avoid DUI/DWI.  I'm sure the players do not want anyone associated with the team to know about their party habits though.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Unfortunately for someone who spends way, way too much on a tricked out green corvette, driving it - whether drunk or sober, and typically too fast - is the whole point. 
In the RB trade thread the name of Melvin Gordon came up. He signed a $16 million contract (almost all guaranteed) last year and then picked up a DUI pretty close to my home. If I had a spare 5 million or so you better believe I’d have a personal driver on call 24/7. But that’s not how young athletes think. It’s time they started. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If by some legal miracle he gets away with this, would an NFL team give him another chance?  I would hope not, if he is proven to have been drinking and the driver.

is this a real question? not only 1st rd pick, but elite speed like that YES. 32 teams will have files with their own information on him, not one single team wouldnt... and if they dont, its because they believe the hip injury to be career ending

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Pretty sure most teams offer concierge type ride share where someone gets you and your car home safely and its available 24/7 to avoid DUI/DWI.  I'm sure the payers do not want anyone associated with the team to know about their party habits though.

I can't find recent confirmation, but back in 2012 there was this information:

The NFL Players Association employs an independent safe-ride program for all its players. The program provides two services: pre-arranged transportation and an emergency response for intoxicated players with access to a vehicle. This service protects the anonymity of players, so teams aren't alerted when one of their players uses it.

And of course, nowadays one need only have one's cell phone to access Uber, Lyft, now many local cab companies - not to mention I think most of these players have their "people" so there's "phone a friend"

• Like (+1) 2

In all cases involving somebody who is deceased probably the number one factor in determining sentencing is intent. I doubt most drunk drivers have any intent to harm somebody, so in my mind that does make the person different than somebody who has intent to harm another. That said vehicular manslaughter is a very serious charge. Not murder one, but he's going away for awhile, certainly enough for his life to be all but destroyed. It's never worth it to risk this behavior. Not with Uber and all the options available today. Horrible decision, one I'm sure he has made dozens of times with no consequences until now.

If anything, I would be much more in favor of very strict penalties for drinking and driving. The way the crime is treated when it does or doesn't involve injury is essentially like playing Russian roulette. Any drunk driver could have just as easily had this become the outcome. Instead, for most, no outcome occurs or in the event of a DUI the penalty is not harsh enough. People don't think, "what if I get vehicular manslaughter tonight" they think, "I hope I don't get pulled over".  Until more severity is placed on making the decision at the start irresponsible people will roll the dice. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If by some legal miracle he gets away with this, would an NFL team give him another chance?  I would hope not, if he is proven to have been drinking and the driver.

It's probably pretty tough for him to get off. Warrant for his blood level, they haven't said anyone else was in his car etc.  Unless they screw up chain of evidence with the blood or something he's looking at some serious time. 

8 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

If anything, I would be much more in favor of very strict penalties for drinking and driving.

It’s essential now. No one drinks more than the British yet they have a drunk driving rate that is negligible compared to us.  Why? The penalties are severe. We’ve made strides in the USA, but it’s still not enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

is this a real question? not only 1st rd pick, but elite speed like that YES. 32 teams will have files with their own information on him, not one single team wouldnt... and if they dont, its because they believe the hip injury to be career ending

Is yours a real question? 

Yes it is a real question.  If he  gets off for by some legal maneuvering and everyone "knows" he killed someone due to drunk driving, i think there would be a lot of hesitancy on the past of NFL teams to use him.

And you are wrong, not all 32 teams would go for him,   I can promise you the Texans wouldn't.  I would bet the Bills wouldn't.

But some team probably would, they gave Vick another chance but that was a different world back then.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.