Derrick Henry potential season ending injury

Process

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

lol.  Yeah, It's that simple.  Not like his presence alone dictates the entire defensive scheme or anything...

Sorry, but that’s nonsense.  Henry isn’t even on the field when it’s third down and more than 5 yards to go.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bengals? Nah. They are a year away from that kinda thing IMO. Honestly the bills should be the #1 seed. The only thing stopping everyone from accepting that is the fear of failing to meet expectations. The Bills are the best team in the AFC. Tennessee are one of the worst matchups for the Bills because of Henry and if he is out I'd take Buffalo 9/10 against them. 

I agree that the schedule/and just the overall inconsistency of the AFC that the Bills should be the one. I mean we’re staring down 7-2 with the Colts and Saints ( both very winnable after that) 

1 minute ago, mannc said:

You mean like yesterday, when they beat the Colts on the road, and Henry amassed 68 yards on 28 carries?

The non-DPI call in OT was huge, as was the ridiculous pick 6 offered up by Wentz.  Titians got lucky.  Without Henry, they're the Bumble after Yukon Cornelius pulled his teeth.

I would imagine Tennessee will be trading for/signing a new RB. Their backups are pretty dreadful and just have no capability to remotely replace him. Wouldn't be surprised if Tampa sends them a RB; those two teams have had a pretty close relationship in the past and Tampa can afford to give up one of theirs (Vaughn most likely probably).

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

I remember a few years back, when Todd Gurley was getting MVP mentions as the Rams’ feature back. When he went down with an injury, the Rams plugged in Malcolm  Brown and they didn’t miss a beat.  I know Henry’s better than Gurley was, but the Titans are also a pretty solid all-around team.  I still think they win the division and go 12-5, or better.

So if you're talking about MVP mentions, you must be talking about 2017 and 2018. 

Gurley missed 1 game in 2017 (against the 6-10 49'ers) and 2 in 2018 (against the 3-13 Cardinals and 4-12 49ers).  Both teams had bottom-of the-league run D.

Not sure that's a comparable situation to the Titans, but it's also important to note that in those 3 games, the Rams passing yards plummeted.

The reason being, opponents said "OK, life is different now, we're going to choke off your passing game and dare you to beat us running Brown" - which, the Rams were able to do in those circs and win 2 of those 3 games.  But, if they'd been playing teams with solid fundamental run D, might not have worked.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mannc said:

That doesn’t refute what I said…

I think you're quite wrong in this thread, but rather than argue, when you are evidently firm in your convictions, I'll just suggest that the issue will be demonstrably answered in the following weeks. I'll be surprised if the Titans have the talent to adapt to the loss of Henry. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, mannc said:

As great as he is, Henry is still just a running back and this is 2021.  This is not nearly as big a setback for the Titans as it would be for a team losing its franchise QB. I don’t believe the Titans will suffer nearly as much as some predict.

They will still be a decent team but I disagree with you.  Their passing game works not because they have a top QB.  Henry actually helps Tannehil look like a top QB because of the way the defenses have to defend Henry.  They are always sucked up to the line leaving the middle of the field wide open.  The LBers are delayed because of they have to be.  That is Henry.  Tannehil isn't terrible but he is just an average QB without a running game to fear.

Its not the same as losing a franchise QB but for them its not much different.  Tannehil is no star like Allen, Mahomes, Rogers, etc.  He is more like Andy Dalton. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So if you're talking about MVP mentions, you must be talking about 2017 and 2018. 

Gurley missed 1 game in 2017 (against the 6-10 49'ers) and 2 in 2018 (against the 3-13 Cardinals and 4-12 49ers).  Both teams had bottom-of the-league run D.

Not sure that's a comparable situation to the Titans, but it's also important to note that in those 3 games, the Rams passing yards plummeted.

The reason being, opponents said "OK, life is different now, we're going to choke off your passing game and dare you to beat us running Brown" - which, the Rams were able to do in those circs and win 2 of those 3 games.  But, if they'd been playing teams with solid fundamental run D, might not have worked.

Everyone disagrees with my take, and that’s fine.  We’ll see what happens. The Titans offense will certainly look different, but it’s much easier for team to adapt after an injury to a RB (even a superstar RB) than if their QB went down.

You can't look at 28 carries for 68 yards or wtvr it was and draw conclusions from the yardage. The fact that Henry was able to get to 28 carries means his role in making that offense run was still 100% effective. It's the effect of the 28 carries that plays more of a role than the yardage. What it does for their play action passing game is immense. Tannehill's performance is most certainly going to be affected in a negative way from this. He is a decent to pretty good QB and will never be more than that without the complimentary running game. It might not show up immediately but over time it will.

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

You can't look at 28 carries for 68 yards or wtvr it was and draw conclusions from the yardage. The fact that Henry was able to get to 28 carries means his role in making that offense run was still 100% effective. It's the effect of the 28 carries that plays more of a role than the yardage. What it does for their play action passing game is immense. Tannehill's performance is most certainly going to be affected in a negative way from this. He is a decent to pretty good QB and will never be more than that without the complimentary running game. It might not show up immediately but over time it will.

You're basically relying on Tanny now....I doubt he's anywhere near as effective without Henry.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

That’s not what I said, but you already know that….

53 minutes ago, mannc said:

As great as he is, Henry is still just a running back and this is 2021.  This is not nearly as big a setback for the Titans as it would be for a team losing its franchise QB. I don’t believe the Titans will suffer nearly as much as some predict.

In this quote, you're basically saying losing Henry is not that big a deal.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.