Derrick Henry potential season ending injury

Process

I was listening to Rod Woodson on Rich Eisen show.  Rod says he knows lots of guys who had this.  Unlikely he could come back this year.  Surgery doesn’t always work.  His body type and need to put pressure on it during cuts makes it improbable he can play this year.  

10 hours ago, The Red King said:

Yes, the AFC is wide-open this year, and their division is weak, but I really hope the Titans don't go all-in and gamble Henry's future in an all-or-nothing bid to win it all this year.  He deserves better.

The Titans seem like the organization that would try to trot out a 25% healthy Henry. Which creates a set back into the following season. 

Then again, I just really dont like the Titans, so their is that too.

21 hours ago, beavis said:

Holy hell. What's wrong with you?

Depends who you ask.  My ex-wife likely has an itemized list. 😁

Kidding aside, Henry is a beast.  Teams have to cheat and stuff the box like it was a Twinkee.  He's really the only RB in the league right now that commands that much attention.  That is why he's not easily replaced.  The Titans can put another back in there, sure, but defenses won't have to commit as many defenders to stopping the run.

Tannehill has had the success he has because defenses have had to stack the box to contain Henry, leaving a threadbare secondary that makes it a lot easier to pass on.  That's all about to come crashing down now.

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Tannehill was 18-29, 216 yards, 0 TDs and 1 pick against the Bills.  He didn't exactly carve us up.  He converted some throws down the stretch in the second half, but that's because our defense had already been beaten down by Henry.  He's the epitome of an average NFL starting QB.

I think more highly of Tannehill than most people, but he needs a good running game to help him. Unless AP is good, I see pain for the Titans 

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Tannehill was 18-29, 216 yards, 0 TDs and 1 pick against the Bills.  He didn't exactly carve us up.  He converted some throws down the stretch in the second half, but that's because our defense had already been beaten down by Henry.  He's the epitome of an average NFL starting QB.

It will be interesting to see what he does against the Rams this week not only in Henry's absence, but the Rams defense will be even more amped up with Von Miller making his debut.

If the Titans somehow wins this game there should be no question they are the AFC favorites but I have a hard time seeing it happen because I do believe the Rams are an elite NFL team even before the big trade this week.

8 hours ago, The Red King said:

Depends who you ask.  My ex-wife likely has an itemized list. 😁

Kidding aside, Henry is a beast.  Teams have to cheat and stuff the box like it was a Twinkee.  He's really the only RB in the league right now that commands that much attention.  That is why he's not easily replaced.  The Titans can put another back in there, sure, but defenses won't have to commit as many defenders to stopping the run.

Tannehill has had the success he has because defenses have had to stack the box to contain Henry, leaving a threadbare secondary that makes it a lot easier to pass on.  That's all about to come crashing down now.

He's big. He's strong. He's fast. And he doesn't win. Now he's hurt. Same with Odel Beckman. Who cares about all those circus catches and 40 times if you loose and destroy teams everywhere you go. Henry had the luxury of a facelock on Poyer and a clip on White for his 80 yard touchdown. Everyone gushed about it and let him off because of "muh stiffarm". McKenzie has a better run and is called back on nothing.

It's a rookie mistake to try to max out all stats. You're here to win, not to make some workout video to sell on TV. Better off keeping your QB, a few dedicated football players, and start over. Find that one cheap play and exploit it to the max.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:21 PM, beavis said:

What makes him any different than any other player? Odds are they have another monster RB right behind him waiting. Steelers used to do that all the time. Why does Tannenhill always have such a big game with Tennessee against the Bills?

Derrick Henry is a unicorn at the RB position.  His size, speed and up to now, durability make him significantly different than any other RB in the league.   

On 11/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I can’t believe the titans were so woefully unprepared for a Henry injury. They had really no replacement on their roster even; McNichols is a skat back. 

I would think it would be hard to sign a FA there to basically not play. Henry gets every carry. Its like being Peyton Mannings backup

9 hours ago, beavis said:

He's big. He's strong. He's fast. And he doesn't win. Now he's hurt. Same with Odel Beckman. Who cares about all those circus catches and 40 times if you loose and destroy teams everywhere you go. Henry had the luxury of a facelock on Poyer and a clip on White for his 80 yard touchdown. Everyone gushed about it and let him off because of "muh stiffarm". McKenzie has a better run and is called back on nothing.

It's a rookie mistake to try to max out all stats. You're here to win, not to make some workout video to sell on TV. Better off keeping your QB, a few dedicated football players, and start over. Find that one cheap play and exploit it to the max.

Yes, he gets the benefit of calls and non-calls, but, like Brady, don't you think he gets them because of who he is?

Let me tackle this another way.  Regardless of what you personally think of the man himself, I assert his threat forces opposing defenses to commit more defenders to contain him then they would other running backs, and that opens up the passing game for Tannehill.  Do you agree or disagree with this?

4 hours ago, The Red King said:

Yes, he gets the benefit of calls and non-calls, but, like Brady, don't you think he gets them because of who he is?

Let me tackle this another way.  Regardless of what you personally think of the man himself, I assert his threat forces opposing defenses to commit more defenders to contain him then they would other running backs, and that opens up the passing game for Tannehill.  Do you agree or disagree with this?

And who is he? Couldn't win 2020 in KC. Couldn't win in Baltimore. Now he's out half a year.

Opening up the passing game is dated. No defense against a perfect pass. You're paid to win the game. Not to be big or strong or fast or make defenses adjust. Those do not score points. I've seen a a lot of players like this. They never turn into anything. People buy the hype and get intimated and loose their fundamentals. That's the only reason they are good. It's a fight. Fight back.

9 hours ago, beavis said:

And who is he? Couldn't win 2020 in KC. Couldn't win in Baltimore. Now he's out half a year.

Opening up the passing game is dated. No defense against a perfect pass. You're paid to win the game. Not to be big or strong or fast or make defenses adjust. Those do not score points. I've seen a a lot of players like this. They never turn into anything. People buy the hype and get intimated and loose their fundamentals. That's the only reason they are good. It's a fight. Fight back.

Let's try one more time...

"Let me tackle this another way.  Regardless of what you personally think of the man himself, I assert his threat forces opposing defenses to commit more defenders to contain him then they would other running backs, and that opens up the passing game for Tannehill.  Do you agree or disagree with this?"

Care to answer this time?

On 11/5/2021 at 10:44 PM, The Red King said:

Let's try one more time...

"Let me tackle this another way.  Regardless of what you personally think of the man himself, I assert his threat forces opposing defenses to commit more defenders to contain him then they would other running backs, and that opens up the passing game for Tannehill.  Do you agree or disagree with this?"

Care to answer this time?

Disagree. Run to set up the pass was over in the 80s.

On 11/1/2021 at 9:21 AM, Malazan said:

I love Allen, but it's far worse than losing Allen. Henry is that entire team. He keeps the defense off the field, he pulls up the coverage, ge makes EVERYTHING work. Hell, I'm pretty sure their kickers will start sucking with him out. 

Obviously….

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.