Jump to content

10/18/21 Gameday Bills @ Titans Postgame thread


Chandler#81
 Share

Recommended Posts

What a horrible end to the evening. I hate night games and lying awake thinking of how annoying it all was. A few thoughts.

 

1. Our run game hasnt been horrible but it seems to have a knack for not getting done when it matters. We stumbled in the red zone because the Titans knew they could easily stop Singletary or Moss and just key on the pass. Not getting a veteran running back in the offseason was a major mistake. Even at the end the Titans knew Josh would run it as we wouldnt trust our Rbs to get it done.

 

2. The lack of defensive adjustments in game by Fraser is maddening. Just like the playoff game in KC.  The Titans were not pressured by our pass rush and then Brown just gashed us repeatedly.  This isnt 1960, you have spotters in the booth that can update Frasier in real time about the offensive adjustments so why dont we adjust our schemes to keep up. If you are not getting pressure then drop some of these guys into coverage on passing downs! I didnt think the run d was that bad and there was major holding on the long TD by Henry that directly led him to get free. Unbelievable, they call phantom penalties when it was that blatant and directly allowed a TD.

 

3. Vrabel has to be the biggest dbag in the NFL. Smug obnoxious, arrogant and stupid. Yet we let him off the hook and enable him to further dbaggery by gifting him that victory with our mistakes and poor decisions. For me this might be the worst part of the loss!

 

4. It was nice to see Beasley back in the groove. He looked angry out there.

 

5. Is Diggs one of the most hated WRs in the NFL? that guy seems to take a lot of dirty and late hits designed just to hurt him. 

 

6.I had no problem with the 4th down call or most of the other decisions. The problem was execution in some areas. I think this loss may help them in the long run!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

 

yeah, did you notice that he left Sanders WIDE OPEN for a TD, but checked it down?  Happened a few other times.  Josh had a game against 2 backup QBs with amazing receivers.  He should have a great stat line.  Any QB would in that game.  JA did not make the deep passes he needed to, he didn't keep his head up for the long ball when being flushed from the pocket.  I don't want excuses here, because he's hit those passes before.  He was good last night, not "tremendous."  

 

not to sound harsh, but (1) this was an issue before his Grandparents died.  (2) if it is his Grandparents; then it's on McD to put a different coach in.   Daboll has all the weapons, and fails in the red zone this often, and can't put up over 31 on a team with an utterly depleted D that has given up the most deep balls all year.  Yeah, offensive play calling was an issue.  

We put up 31 after putting up 35, 43, 40, 38. You are not being reasonable. 

 

 

This is acceptable if they are clearly not looking for holdings otherwise. If you take two TDs off our board on small holds and allow this one to stand it is unacceptable. 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

We put up 31 after putting up 35, 43, 40, 38. You are not being reasonable. 

 

I am being reasonable.  He needs to, and usually does, see those wide open WRs.  We played BACKUP ROOKIE CB'S.   We should have put up a TON on them.  I'm not saying he sucked, he was good.  Not elite last night.  

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

You can’t ask for a better game for the audience. Sadly, the Titans played the best game of their lives. Congrats to them for that. Now, we can regroup and run the table.

 

No complaints about the Bills from me, just a little disappointed.

Agree 100%.  The Titans brought their A Game and played their asses off.  That last play was a fine example of just how great their coaching is plain and simple.  There were numerous examples of that on both sides of the ball last night.  One of the best coached games I have ever witnessed probably.  
This loss doesn’t hurt me so much personally.  I rather enjoyed it actually in many respects.  This felt like an old K-Gun style shootout from the 90’s.  Was it perfect?  No.  But are they ever really?  Not really.  We’re not going to face a Mack Truck like Henry every week thankfully and the D held up decently IMO.  JA17 had a monster game but still has much to learn.  And he will and the other 31 teams should be very afraid of that prospect.

10 years from now we will probably appreciate this game more.  And the reality for this team is that losing a game truly makes them stronger.  I have immense confidence in their coaching staff coming off of losses.  

Edited by Apocalypse Nuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

What a horrible end to the evening. I hate night games and lying awake thinking of how annoying it all was. A few thoughts.

.

 

2. The lack of defensive adjustments in game by Fraser is maddening. Just like the playoff game in KC.  The Titans were not pressured by our pass rush and then Brown just gashed us repeatedly.  This isnt 1960, you have spotters in the booth that can update Frasier in real time about the offensive adjustments so why dont we adjust our schemes to keep up. If you are not getting pressure then drop some of these guys into coverage on passing downs! I didnt think the run d was that bad and there was major holding on the long TD by Henry that directly led him to get free. Unbelievable, they call phantom penalties when it was that blatant and directly allowed a TD.

 

This has big one of my biggest concerns with our coaching staff.  They can come up with great game plans.   But then sometimes, they don’t!    The issue is, when they don’t, they’re extremely slow to adjust, if at all.   
 

Quite clearly the defensive game plan wasn’t working last night and they seemed unwilling to change things up. 
 

Another issue, for me, is that they seem to love their situational players to an extreme.  Benching 2 DLinemem that have been consistent and playing well for players that haven’t is the definition of over thinking it. Sometimes I wish they’d just line up and play who has been producing rather than pulling the hidden ringer off the bench.  
 

it’s all great when it works, but when it doesn’t it makes the second guessing go into overdrive!  Lol 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:
23 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

 

I am being reasonable.  He needs to, and usually does, see those wide open WRs.  We played BACKUP ROOKIE CB'S.   We should have put up a TON on them.  I'm not saying he sucked, he was good.  Not elite last night.  

No... you’re not. 


 

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

We put up 31 after putting up 35, 43, 40, 38. You are not being reasonable. 

 

This is acceptable if they are clearly not looking for holdings otherwise. If you take two TDs off our board on small holds and allow this one to stand it is unacceptable. 

I don’t wanna start bashing the Refs again, but they miss more holds of Bills players than seems reasonable.  Heck, Jerry Hughs could probably get a rope tied around him and dragged down and they wouldn’t call it.   The league hates him.  

Edited by Dan
  • Like (+1) 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

We put up 31 after putting up 35, 43, 40, 38. You are not being reasonable. 

 

 

This is acceptable if they are clearly not looking for holdings otherwise. If you take two TDs off our board on small holds and allow this one to stand it is unacceptable. 

White was held on that play as well....

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:


Yeah, he looked almost concussed. It was an average game for him. His stats were good, but something wasn’t right all night. Took several bad sacks and made some questionable throws. Slipped on a critical 4th down.  
 

 

 

So I will agree Allen had some off throws. But also some dimes. I am generally one to be critical of Allen first, but this one is on the OL. He was regularly throwing off platform all day. Most certainly on a number of deep shots that caused him to under throw (which never happens). Tennessee got the better of our OL last night. Allen was our saving grace. 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

 

yeah, did you notice that he left Sanders WIDE OPEN for a TD, but checked it down?  Happened a few other times.  Josh had a game against 2 backup QBs with amazing receivers.  He should have a great stat line.  Any QB would in that game.  JA did not make the deep passes he needed to, he didn't keep his head up for the long ball when being flushed from the pocket.  I don't want excuses here, because he's hit those passes before.  He was good last night, not "tremendous."  

 

not to sound harsh, but (1) this was an issue before his Grandparents died.  (2) if it is his Grandparents; then it's on McD to put a different coach in.   Daboll has all the weapons, and fails in the red zone this often, and can't put up over 31 on a team with an utterly depleted D that has given up the most deep balls all year.  Yeah, offensive play calling was an issue.  

We have the 30th rated oline and one of the worst sets of backs in the league yardage wise give it a rest your hatred of Allen over the years shows up we get the point 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read an article this morning moaning about our lack of production in the Red Zone.  Well why is anyone surprised?  The strength of this offense is Allen and the WR's.  Outside the red zone it's tough to defense this combo.  But in the red zone when the field shrinks it's a lot easier.  At this point you need to depend on your RB's and O line.  And therein lies the problem.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Well, 6 inches gets you a few more plays.  I’ll bet if they tried to score and failed a lot of people would cry about the 6 inches.  
 

Bottom line is our OL got pushed back on the left side.  Yes Allen slipped but there was nothing there in the way of a push. 

Problem was we limited ourselves playing for the first down. I got no problem  having a drive stalled on a QB sneak, I got a problem having a game come down to its results.  Rather have a short yardage play that makes them cover more of the field, maybe we get in the end zone or just the first down. I understand Allen slipped but they knew what was coming, more then Dawkins did. 😂  

Edited by BananaB
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

 

I am being reasonable.  He needs to, and usually does, see those wide open WRs.  We played BACKUP ROOKIE CB'S.   We should have put up a TON on them.  I'm not saying he sucked, he was good.  Not elite last night.  

 

Dude, it all starts up front.  If a QB has time to stand in, he has time to scan the field and see receivers.  If he's running full tilt his vision is limited. Can you reasonably think Josh Allen had time to scan the field and see receivers last night?

 

Also, 31 points IS a TON.  The problem wasn't that we didn't put up a ton of points, the problem is that our defense allowed the Titans to put up a ton-plus.  If we allow the opponent 34 points every week, we won't win many games.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I read an article this morning moaning about our lack of production in the Red Zone.  Well why is anyone surprised?  The strength of this offense is Allen and the WR's.  Outside the red zone it's tough to defense this combo.  But in the red zone when the field shrinks it's a lot easier.  At this point you need to depend on your RB's and O line.  And therein lies the problem.

 

 

Yep.  Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Dude, it all starts up front.  If a QB has time to stand in, he has time to scan the field and see receivers.  If he's running full tilt his vision is limited. Can you reasonably think Josh Allen had time to scan the field and see receivers last night?

 

Also, 31 points IS a TON.  The problem wasn't that we didn't put up a ton of points, the problem is that our defense allowed the Titans to put up a ton-plus.  If we allow the opponent 34 points every week, we won't win many games.

Can't argue with this, but as I said in the gameday thread, Josh was a bit off last night.  On a lot of his throws, the ball was not coming out of his hand clean.  I have no explanation for it, but I've seen that happen to him before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few thoughts:

- There is blame to go around for this loss. It's reasonable to say that the offense should have scored more TDs and less FGs, or that Josh failed to see open checkdown options a time or two. It's also reasonable to say that when your offense scores 31 points, you should win the game. The defense couldn't stop a nosebleed the entire second half, so they certainly deserve a big share of the blame, too.

- Even with all that the offense and defense could have done better, the Bills still drove the ball down the field at the end and were six inches away from a 1st and goal with 20 seconds left. 

- I can't help but wonder if Knox going out with injury ultimately cost the Bills the game. On the 4th quarter drive where Allen failed to throw to the wide open Tommy Sweeney in the flat and the Bills ultimately wound up punting...I just wonder if things would have been different had Knox been in the game. No sense in wasting too much time wondering, though. What happened, happened.

- Credit where credit is due: That was a gutsy, impressive win by an undermanned Titans squad that had faced a couple devastating on-field injuries to key players. Vrable's cute little punt return lateral troll attempt was lame, and I'm glad that it didn't work. Other than that, I can only tip my cap to the Titans for going blow for blow with the Bills, digging deep, and finding a way to pull out the win. 

- I'm with McDermott 100 times out of 100 on that decision to go for it on 4th. Analytics and common sense both tell me it was the right call. I also have no problem with the QB sneak being the playcall there. Josh gets those better than 90% of the time. It wasn't the Xs and Os that cost the Bills this game, it was the Willies and Joes. Execution wasn't up to snuff, period.

- It's been said by others, I'm sure, but it sure does feel to me like the Bills sort of needed this loss. To lose the way they lost, right before the bye week (just like last year)...it seems like this was the type of adversity, the type of rallying cry, the type of "re-set and re-focus" loss that this Bills roster often thrive on. Instead of spending the next two weeks hearing how they're Super Bowl favorites, they'll spend the next two weeks with a sick feeling in their stomach, knowing that execution cost them a winnable game.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Virgil said:


And it was a poor decision.  Zero sacks, and rarely any pressure in passing situations.  I am actually somewhat okay with their run defense.   
 

 

This.

 

I was ok with how the middle of the dline played for the most part.

 

Without more early scoring from the offense we could not "cheat" towards leaving the run to our front 4 on 3rd downs and playing the pass/doubling Brown.

 

We were too susceptible to play action in the second half which is exactly the Titan's game with Henry.

 

Us older fans with some grey in our hair remember how a KC team was built around their Nigerian Nightmare RB Christian Okoye. A bruising runner whose style reminds me of Henry.

 

He and Bills MLB Shane Conlan had some epic collisions.

 

The one drawback to building your team around one player though is the drop off when they get dinged. RBs take a lot of hits - realistically the Titan's offense (as it is built today) likely has a small window to win it all.

 

Tennessee has no one on their bench that defenses will scheme for like Henry.

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

Fix the redzone O, we win that game easy


Reasonable thing to say.

On the other hand, the offense still scored 31 points, and the defense couldn't stop a nosebleed.

Hard to put the entire loss on the offense's red zone shortcomings.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, WideNine said:

 

This.

 

I was ok with how the middle of the dline played for the most part.

 

Without more early scoring from the offense we could not "cheat" towards leaving the run to our front 4 on 3rd downs and playing the pass/doubling Brown.

 

We were too susceptible to play action in the second half which is exactly the Titan's game with Henry.

 

Us older fans with some grey in our hair remember how a KC team was built around their Nigerian Nightmare RB Christian Okoye. A bruising runner whose style reminds me of Henry.

 

He and Bills MLB Shane Conlan had some epic collisions.

 

The one drawback to building your team around one player though is the drop off when they get dinged. RBs take a lot of hits - realistically the Titan's offense (as it is built today) likely has a small window to win it all.

 

Tennessee has no one on their bench that defenses will scheme for like Henry.

 

 

 

 

Agree. Titans as well as using play action or fake handoffs to have the d bite bad on it (cause of Henry). Early scoring pretty much does that. But Titans might still run the ball they know still lots of time left in a way.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...