The Bills Offense Evolution is Paying Off In Spades

corta765

Heading into the 2021-22 season there was great optimism that the offense would continue its strong play, but understandable realism that there could be regression because statistically offensives that produced 500 pts or more as the Bills did in 2020 see a drop off of a few touchdowns the year after. Additionally once an offense makes it mark the following offseason teams have a year of film to target certain areas. That makes evolution necessary to keep a high offensive output possible and not become stale. 

After week 1 anyone associated with the offense including the waterboy was open for criticism at the time. Since then though a few things have happened including just time to let things play out that have helped significantly make the offense a far more efficient machine then the 2020 version:

• Allen has had time with his fellow teammates to find their flow. Sanders has become a prime target for Josh, but it took a game or two for them to find their way. People forget last year John Brown and Beasley were in year 2 with Josh and established as good targets. Diggs was the new guy but he is a sublime talent and Allens work with him all offseason showed
  • DaBoll backed off running the spread and has integrated Knox far more. This is without a doubt the most important piece in my opinion. After week 1 I think the Bills offense said oh crap with the amount of pressure put on Allen and the offensive line given how PIT covered them. Most defensives do not have PIT's personnel nor the coaching to do what they did. That said KC in the title game and PIT week 1 did a great job making Josh's pocket collapse while holding a ton of guys in coverage making it a tough passing situation. I personally think Josh was actually fine week 1 minus a few misses and it was the parts around him that let him down, but regardless it was a problem. Last year and week 1 the Bills were running close to 60% in spread form, whereas weeks 2-5 here its been down to 37%. Dawson Knox obviously has been a big part in adding a new look to the offense, but the offense has excelled non-spread forms which has given the offensive line more time and the ability to create different looks.
  • The Bills are rushing quite well in fact 5th overall. Josh looks like an MVP candidate again, but the running situation has been an ally to the offense at this point that has made Josh's life easier. I loved that the Bills opening drive they let Josh run (smartly I may add) to help the offense. That forced the defense the rest of the game to be prepared for that element of the Bills offense. I love the Bills want to pass, but the diversification allows a much less predictable offense overall which in turn makes it more dangerous.
  • The Bills offense ability to score slowly has allowed the defense to rest more. One of the issues the defense had the first half of last season was the offense scoring so fast they didn't have time to recover. They admitted as much as a unit that this was a different challenge compared to the first 3 years with McD. The defense is playing at a much higher level this year which is superb, but the ability for the offense to run a 7:51 min long drive for a TD with 13 minutes left like they did in KC is vastly more important then given credit to

All of these factors have led to a far stronger offense as a unit that is not solely predicated on Josh having to throw his way every game to success. Make no mistake he will absolutely have games that is needed, the TB game could be one of those 400 yd games we need from Josh given how good their offense is playing. But the evolution of the offense makes the Bills far more lethal in my eyes then last years team.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The O-line is playing well.  It all starts with that. 

The 3 WR 1 TE 1 RB set offers the most options for play calling and forces the defense to defend the entire field - vertically and horizontally.

Knox is a weapon.  Sanders is healthy where Brown was not.  In the short term that has limited opportunities for Davis and at least in some games for Beasley.  They also seem more committed to Moss and his bruising running style.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

The 3 WR 1 TE 1 RB set offers the most options for play calling and forces the defense to defend the entire field - vertically and horizontally.

Knox is a weapon.  Sanders is healthy where Brown was not.  In the short term that has limited opportunities for Davis and at least in some games for Beasley.  They also seem more committed to Moss and his bruising running style.

I think you will see Beasley and Knox go on and off with good and lesser games as they trade targets depending on how the defense matchups up against us. I agree the 11 personnel set is the best and truthfully if they ever got the talent going to 12 with two TE's would be really fun given Josh's skill set. Davis may have a lesser year, but my expectation is Beasley is cut this year and in comes Davis or he potentially is groomed to take over as the WR2.

• Like (+1) 1

That first run by Josh he would have in the past tried to get into the end zone, even with faster guys closing in on him from both sides. 

I was scared thinking don't fumble here they can me to try and chop your arm. He then slide right when they closed and it was perfect.

He is learning, still the grounding wasn't good but he can have a bad play and still dominate a game.

23 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It'll be interesting to see if the package of 2 WR, 1 TE, RB and FB (Gilliam) gets used more.  Gilliam had as many snaps as Beasley did against the Chiefs.  I know Dabol says it's all about game planning for each team each week, but using Gilliam gives them a lot of flexibility too, since he's really a TE.

The offense in my opinion is benefitting from having Sanders in there as a true WR2. John Brown was great in 2019 but in 2020 he was just so banged up consistently. In the games where Brown was healthy last season the offense really rolled. Brown made big plays, Diggs was all over the place, Beasley carved people up down low and Mac and Davis played their roles. But when Brown was out better defenses had more success against the Bills. 

Knox's emergence, Spencer Brown on the o-line and kicking D.Williams inside and Zack Moss improvement have all made a positive impact and are all key too but I think Sanders on the field and off has added so much to the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really liked that Josh kept attempting to run from time to time, even though he didn't get much after the first quarter (the hurdle excepted).  There were several plays where he tried to run, but the Chiefs were keeping their guys in to protect against it.  Happy days, then, with the field opened up. 

If Knox keeps making plays, he's going to remain on the field.  He only missed 2 plays against the Chiefs.  He's a big, athletic guy who creates mismatches especially down in the red zone.  

The Bills running 4 WR sets ( 10 personnel) will be less frequent.  The Bills have an added dimension to their offense - a legit threat at TE.  Been a long time.

The Patriots with Brady would often do this thing where they would try to figure things out in the first 4 or 5 games...almost like a pre-season.  They would look beatable and have some struggles...but by November they would have everything clicking and would become a juggernaut.  It feels like the Bills are doing something similar...not seeing the same 4 and 5 wide we were seeing last year and it's almost like Josh is learning a new offense.  Most have noticed that it looks choppy and his completion percentage is down.  (And yet, thanks to the talent of Josh and others we still manage to have the top scoring offense while not looking as smooth as last year...which is a nice bonus)  However, I suspect that soon he will have this new offense humming. Once he does, I suspect that this won't be the new offense...It won't replace what we did last year, but we will be able to switch based on conditions/opponent.  If that happens, this team is going to be really scary.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills O is playing I'd say about average for them through the first 5 games of the year...but average for them is really good for a lot of teams in the league. They make it look effortless to rack up points and first downs. 

Now that the D is giving them even more chances with turnovers and great field position, once the O gets going they are going to just be annihilating teams even worse than they are now...might start seeing starters pulled after 3 quarters in a lot of games.

Having an offense that can execute all aspects of game planning well, when those individual components are called upon is KEY to sustained success, these truths we hold self evident..,, 

Go Bills!!!

I think it was one bills live that was talking about how Knox and sanders being such threats will lead to them getting more attention, which will in turn take some coverage off Diggs and beasley, which I agree with. I think Diggs, Beasley and Davis are in for some big games down the Rd here 

I think one thing everyone tends to  overlook is the benching of Cody Ford. He was absolutely dismal the first few games in allowing pressure up the middle. It disrupted the passing game to no end and made Josh revert back to some old habits (particulary throwing off base with and without pressure).  I'm not saying Williams has been great at guard, but just average play with Spencer Brown playing good for a rookie has made a huge difference. 

Edited by Bills Juggernaut
  • Like (+1) 2

The Bills offense this year may not be a fine-tuned machine but it has a big big tank of nitrous.

1 hour ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

I think one thing everyone tends to  overlook is the benching of Cody Ford. He was absolutely dismal the first few games in allowing pressure up the middle. It disrupted the passing game to no end and made Josh revert back to some old habits (particulary throwing off base with and without pressure).  I'm not saying Williams has been great at guard, but just average play with Spencer Brown playing good for a rookie has made a huge difference. 

Brown starting has elevated 3 positions on the line, his own and both guards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.