Bills sign Taron Johnson to 3 year extension

YoloinOhio

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it pretty much guarantees they are drafting an outside corner early next April. Paying Tre, Taron, Jordan and Micah you are gonna need some cheap labour somewhere.

I wonder what Levi gets on the open market this season.  Was strange to see him get little to no interest (from what I saw) this offseason

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills are very good at finding contributors in the draft. Their bust rate is very low - Zay Jones and Cody Ford probably the only two (Harrison Phillips you could argue for) and their record with day 3 guys - Milano, Taron, Gabe, Teller (even though his success came elsewhere) - and that is without mentioning core ST and depth guys like Jaquan Johnson, Siran Neal, Tommy Sweeney, Tyler Bass, Dane Jackson etc. 

They have definitely outperformed the league in that regard and that is why they for the past couple of years have been consistently talked about as one of the deepest rosters in the league - they will have to keep that going as they start to pay their guys and have less room for those solid middle range free agent types.

Where there are teams that have still outperformed them is in finding those real top end elite guys. You'd still like to see Tremaine, Ed, Dawson, maybe Greg get there to balance that out. But we are excellent at finding guys who range from "solid, cheap depth" right through to "very good starter". 

Yeah, I see eye to eye with you on 99% of this.

I’d be curious to see how the Bills compare to the rest of the league when it comes to getting those top end guys over the past 5 years. 

Josh Allen

Dion Dawkins

Tre White

Matt Milano?

Let’s say I leave Milano out. I’m feeling pretty good about the fact that they got 3 impact guys in 5 years. Off the top of my head I can think of 1 or 2 teams that may have nabbed more and those are the Colts and Saints. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I wonder what Levi gets on the open market this season.  Was strange to see him get little to no interest (from what I saw) this offseason

Yea. He was probably unfortunate to hit it in a year where his performance was weakest. If the Bills could bring Wallace back on this deal again I am sure they would, just not sure they will pay much more for him.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it pretty much guarantees they are drafting an outside corner early next April. Paying Tre, Taron, Jordan and Micah you are gonna need some cheap labour somewhere.

They may think Cam Lewis and Dane Jackson can do it. Plus they will have Wildgoose for a year. Who knows with him. Lewis is a player to my eyes. 

• Like (+1) 1

If peeps are thinking the price is a bit steep I think McBeane are making an example of Taron. He lost his job to cam Lewis last year. He didn’t make noise and continued his grind. When his shot came back around he put up 2 game changing pick 6s. I think they want to reward that type of toughness

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Just curious, which are the two you're referring to??  The only ones I can think of are Ford and Joseph the LB?

Zay Jones and Cody Ford. 

If they’re drafted 5th round or later I have a hard time calling a guy a “bust.”

It’s very difficult for those guys to amount to much more than a special teams contributor. It’s not impossible… it’s just that the rate of failure that low in the draft is sky high. 

13 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Yeah, I see eye to eye with you on 99% of this.

I’d be curious to see how the Bills compare to the rest of the league when it comes to getting those top end guys over the past 5 years. 

Josh Allen

Dion Dawkins

Tre White

Matt Milano?

Let’s say I leave Milano out. I’m feeling pretty good about the fact that they got 3 impact guys in 5 years. Off the top of my head I can think of 1 or 2 teams that may have nabbed more and those are the Colts and Saints. 

Dion Dawkins isn't elite. Nor is Milano. They are in that "very good" category. The Bills have three elite players - Allen, White and Diggs who they traded for. I agree it is a relatively small handful of teams who have found more, but there are a few out there - Carolina I might throw in there, 49ers,  Washington, you could debate Cleveland. 

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

They may think Cam Lewis and Dane Jackson can do it. Plus they will have Wildgoose for a year. Who knows with him. Lewis is a player to my eyes. 

I think Cam is best inside though. Dane I am not sure. Just not seen enough but I was disappointed in him pre-season.

Edited by GunnerBill

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Dion Dawkins isn't elite. Nor is Milano. They are in that "very good" category. The Bills have three elite players - Allen, White and Diggs who they traded for. I agree it is a relatively small handful of teams who have found more, but there are a few out there - Carolina I might throw in there, Washington, you could debate Cleveland. 

I think that assessment is more than fair. 

Even so, we’ve names 4-5 other teams? I’m not even sure those teams have drafted more guys than two (Allen and White).  Bills are still in the upper echelon there…

Browns - Chubb, Garrett and Ward. 
Carolina - McCaffrey and? 

Washington - Young, Sweat and ? 
New Orleans - Kamara, Lattimore, Ramczyk

Colts - Nelson and Leonard

They Bills are in an enviable position. 

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

I think that assessment is more than fair. 

Even so, we’ve names 4-5 other teams? I’m not even sure those teams have drafted more guys than two (Allen and White).  Bills are still in the upper echelon there…

Browns - Chubb, Garrett and Ward. 
Carolina - McCaffrey and? 

Washington - Young, Sweat and ? 
New Orleans - Kamara, Lattimore, Ramczyk

Colts - Nelson and Leonard

They Bills are in an enviable position. 

Absolutely the Bills are still upper echelon. But I don't think they are smashing the league there. They are in with a bunch of good teams. Where they are outperforming pretty much everyone is finding good contributors throughout - and even in UDFA with Levi, Dodson and Ike.

Brian Burns is the other one in Carolina. He is the best pure speed and bend pass rusher in the NFL in my view. Top 5 at the position. Jeremy Chinn was pretty awesome as a rookie too (although completely fair to say need to see more than 1 year to class him as elite). I have Payne as an arguable elite in Washington I have him there but I know some others are not as high on him.

49ers - Bosa, Warner, Kittle.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yes it is!   We finally have a GM and entire organization that understands the proper way to build a team. 

Its why this team is good and should remain good for years to come.  

Totally agree, the days of the endless rotating in GMs & HCs every two or three years was fools gold, the entire team structure was broken in those days,  and poor old Ralph didn’t know how to do it differently, it was his M.O. for the most part as an owner. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Absolutely the Bills are still upper echelon. But I don't think they are smashing the league there. They are in with a bunch of good teams. Where they are outperforming pretty much everyone is finding good contributors throughout - and even in UDFA with Levi, Dodson and Ike.

Brian Burns is the other one in Carolina. He is the best pure speed and bend pass rusher in the NFL in my view. Top 5 at the position. Jeremy Chinn was pretty awesome as a rookie too (although completely fair to say need to see more than 1 year to class him as elite). I have Payne as an arguable elite in Washington I have him there but I know some others are not as high on him.

I can’t argue with any of the names there either.

I think what this exercise illustrates is something we already know - it’s hard to find elite players. Nobody has found more than 3 over the past 5 years. 

I don’t think it’s really even possible to smash the league there. 

Drafting the way we have gives you the ability to find the elite guys IMO. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane would make a great asset manager. He knows when to take a swing, he knows where to find value, etc. 

And frankly what I love so much about this team is that it isn’t a few elite guys carrying the load and sucking up cap; it’s that we have a lot of those very good football players who are coached well and work together well. That’s how you win a championship. Of course, it helps that you have an elite QB.

23 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Zay Jones and Cody Ford. 

If they’re drafted 5th round or later I have a hard time calling a guy a “bust.”

It’s very difficult for those guys to amount to much more than a special teams contributor. It’s not impossible… it’s just that the rate of failure that low in the draft is sky high. 

Yeah I was thinking Jones was prior to McD being here, but was informed was McD's first draft prior Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Seems obvious, keep rotating rookie contracts opposite of White, with their success on scouting CBs they should be able to manage that position without paying anyone. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

@JGMcD2 also worth saying my slight nervousness on those top end guys is even if we throw Dion and Matt in there it is 1 in 4 drafts from Beano (albeit the most important one - the elite QB!)

That 2017 draft is likely one of the best 3 or 4 classes in Bills history.

Absolutely fair on the first point. Although, look at all those other teams finding elite players at a high rate that we named.

Saints, Colts, WFT, 49ers, Panthers and Browns

Wintson, Wentz and Heinicke are going to put pressure on. Lance, Darnold and Mayfield may never elevate a team like a true franchise QB needs to. 

Drafting an elite QB gives Beane the ability to find more elite guys at other positions. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.