[Edit] Jon Gruden resigns over controversial emails discovered in WFT investigation

flaz

Gruden — then working as an analyst for ESPN's "Monday Night Football" reportedly sent the following email:

“Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin [sic] tires.”

I realize the phrase "ten year old" is referring to how long ago he wrote that, but reading what he wrote, I think it also applies to the mental age of the writer.

• Like (+1) 3

His explanation is plausible in that he said he refers to people who lie as having rubber lips and that was an extension of that. Said he has no racist intent and apologized.

don’t think this will cost him his job 

quotes from ESPN article

Gruden told ESPN he has routinely used the term "rubber lips" to "refer to a guy I catch as lying ... he can't spit it out."

"I'm ashamed I insulted D. Smith," Gruden said, adding, "I never had a racial thought when I used it. ... I'm embarrassed by what's out there. I certainly never meant for it to sound that bad."

The email, sent to the president of the Washington Football Team as the NFL and its players were in the midst of trying to resolve a lockout, said that Smith had "lips the size of michellin tires," the Journal reported, saying it has reviewed the email.

Asked about the email by the Journal, Gruden said he didn't specifically recall writing it, but apologized.

Edited by Bray Wyatt

1 minute ago, Bray Wyatt said:

His explanation is plausible in that he said he refers to people who lie as having rubber lips and that was an extension of that. Said he has no racist intent and apologized.

Are you trying to be funny? Can’t tell

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

quotes from ESPN article

Gruden told ESPN he has routinely used the term "rubber lips" to "refer to a guy I catch as lying ... he can't spit it out."

"I'm ashamed I insulted D. Smith," Gruden said, adding, "I never had a racial thought when I used it. ... I'm embarrassed by what's out there. I certainly never meant for it to sound that bad."

The email, sent to the president of the Washington Football Team as the NFL and its players were in the midst of trying to resolve a lockout, said that Smith had "lips the size of michellin tires," the Journal reported, saying it has reviewed the email.

Asked about the email by the Journal, Gruden said he didn't specifically recall writing it, but apologized.

He's full of *****. He didn't say his lips were rubbery he said they were the size of tires, but nice try though.

3 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

If jake Fromm and josh Allen who had no actual reputation in the nfl can be forgiven, I don’t see why gruden can’t or shouldn’t 

Teenage Josh Allen posts rap lyrics (having worked with teens for 20+ years they [post music lyrics .. even if they shouldn't) vs a grown man making obvious racial comments .. I do not see the correlation at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.