SNF: Bucs at Pats* 8:20 NBC

YoloinOhio

Last night's game put me in a weird position. I couldnt figure out who I hated more, Tom Brady or Bill Bellichick. I kept changing my mind as the game went on. Then it hit me, as Kurtz says in Apocalypse Now, "like a diamond through my forehead" the solution... I hate Chris Collinsworth more than any of them!!

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I see our residents Pats*** fans are clawing for moral victories this morning. 14th in the AFC right now!

This was a classic Brady vs mediocre team in the NFL. Mediocre team goes all out, makes brady work for every single yard. But he does because he's the best ever. Next day, fans talk about how close they were to beating Brady

Mac Jones looked good. 19 straight completions is a good stat, but he needed to finish that drive with a TD. He was a dropped INT away from being the main reason they lost

He is the main reason they lost. He was playing the worst ranked pass defense in the league and the Bucs didn’t even respect him enough not to go all out to stop the run instead of him. Then belichick didn’t think he was good enough to go for it on 4th and 1 instead of kicking a 56 yard FG.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Sorry man welcome to post Brady New England where you have a glorified game manager as your QB and if you read my post history I’ve been on the Josh Allen train since his preseason rookie game against Cleveland when Shady McCoy said hey this kid is special Allen can simply do things only a couple of qbs can which eve. Lebron James is tweeting about now 

First UGH on LeBron James. (I don’t like him at all lol)  Again making that judgement based off of the protection he has been given so far isn’t fair.  I mean that’s like saying what Allen would be based off of 4 pro games. 

34 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I would like to see the official time in the pocket, but to me I thought he was getting about as much time as an NFL QB is going to get. The OL pass protected pretty well given the talent on the Bucs front 7. It appeared to me that the Bucs game plan was to limit the ground game and pressure Jones while giving up the short throws. Their D plan wasn't too shabby and succeeded in limiting the Pats** scoring. I have seen yesterday's game and several bits of other Jones' games and it is too early to tell how he will end up as a QB. But I grant you this, the kid does look poised. 

The problem for the Bucs was that Brady was unable to control the game on O and was playing on his back foot or catching up.

From the Bills perspective, the result was an ideal outcome. 

Overall he isn’t getting 3 seconds back there. Mind you Jones makes dumb mistakes and holds on at times to much like any rookie, but overall the line has been inferior, to what is expected from such a talented group.

2 hours ago, BassToMouth said:

Lol I love people like you. No need to have your conditioned knee jerk reaction and call for backups to help you ridicule. Just wait until the end of the season. Have a good day.

The Steelers fans are saying the same thing right now. If I were you I'd be worried about Wilson and the Jets finishing 2nd, he had a pretty solid 2nd half against Beli's defensive buddy in TEN. And I think they have the better head coach at this point in the modern NFL.

Edited by pocoboy

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

First UGH on LeBron James. (I don’t like him at all lol)  Again making that judgement based off of the protection he has been given so far isn’t fair.  I mean that’s like saying what Allen would be based off of 4 pro games. 

If Folk's kick was 10" to the right we are having a totally different conversation.  I thought it was a great game and I find myself enjoying the game more when I don't care who wins.  Tampa did what great teams do, they find a way to win the tough ones and walk out with the win.  

Hoodie and Mullet had a pretty impressive defensive game plan, fun game to watch.  

13 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

@PatsFanNH, I will say I was more impressed than I expected I would be with Jones' composure and handling of a pressure packed moment against his predecessor--he also delivered some good throws along the way, no question. However, playing in the same division as Allen will be hard to ever overcome with regularity, as I think Allen will maintain a higher overall performance ceiling. I know it's early, but unless Mac turns into Brady...    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

@PatsFanNH, I will say I was more impressed than I expected I would be with Jones' composure and handling of a pressure packed moment against his predecessor--he also delivered some good throws along the way, no question. However, playing in the same division as Allen will be hard to ever overcome with regularity, as I think Allen will maintain a higher overall performance ceiling. I know it's early, but unless Mac turns into Brady...    

I think Jones is more like Garoppolo, which is still like Brady but without the "clutch" gene.  😁

I could be wrong, because a lot of guys could be like Brady with the Bucs personnel around them.  That's a ridiculous wealth of talent and skill on that team right now.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He is the main reason they lost. He was playing the worst ranked pass defense in the league and the Bucs didn’t even respect him enough not to go all out to stop the run instead of him. Then belichick didn’t think he was good enough to go for it on 4th and 1 instead of kicking a 56 yard FG.

ha ha what..nobody outside of this forum has blamed Mac Jones for the loss. And BB already said he went with Folk because Folk been on a hot streak and the down was 4th and 3..nto 4th and i. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

right now Allen is the stud QB in the division, absolutely ZERO question about that.  Do I expect Mac pass Allen ANYTIME soon? Hell no, but I’d love their to be some epic games in the future between them. I do believe (under the extremely small sample size) he is the second best QB in the East.. a very distant second. 

I don’t ever expect see another Brady but if Jones can be atop 10-12 QB then I will be very happy. (Allen IMO top 6 at least)  All I want is fun games again, last year watching Newton was painful! 

2 hours ago, P Riv said:

If Folk's kick was 10" to the right we are having a totally different conversation.  I thought it was a great game and I find myself enjoying the game more when I don't care who wins.  Tampa did what great teams do, they find a way to win the tough ones and walk out with the win.  

Hoodie and Mullet had a pretty impressive defensive game plan, fun game to watch.  

Off topic a bit did you laugh as hard as I did at Steve B faces? I almost died laughing on my couch! 

I still say they should have gone for it on 4th and 3, I mean the last time Folk hit one that far was in 2011 lol. 

I agree was fun to watch, and I honestly thought Jones was going to get that win. Every game (minus Saints) he drove down the field to put the team in a spot to win and something out of his control happens.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

First time watching Mac. I have to say I was impressed by the composure, but it seemed like it took his whole upper body to throw 15 yards. If it was my D I’d cover the intermediate part of the field and force him to throw long. Just don’t see it in him. 

Lol I think you are just use to the effortlessness Allen shows throwing deep. Lol he can make the deeper throws he really hasn’t had time the first 4 games to show it.

31 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lol I think you are just use to the effortlessness Allen shows throwing deep. Lol he can make the deeper throws he really hasn’t had time the first 4 games to show it.

Possibly, it was my first experience watching him. Just seemed like it was a bit of a chore for him. I’ll reserve full judgement until I see more. You don’t get that impression at all watching him? 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

I was hoping when Kraft was in the tunnel, Brady shoves him and says "don't ****ing touch me old man". Kraft trips, and falls, and tumbles, and since the camera crew is following Brady, it all happens in the ever distant background. Then at the end of the game, when Tafoya asks "What's it like to be back in Boston?" Brady hocks a loogie and spits on the field proceeds to say nothing. After a few more questions, all Brady says is stuff like "I proved Bellicheck is nothing but a punk." and  "Those are my banners."

Edited by beavis
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Possibly, it was my first experience watching him. Just seemed like it was a bit of a chore for him. I’ll reserve full judgement until I see more. You don’t get that impression at all watching him? 

I am more shocked how poised he is, and how he actually goes threw his reads and delivers a very accurate ball.  I really haven’t noticed what you mentioned probably because the throw is usually on target unless he gets hit as he throws. (Like the INT he threw last night and even that should have been caught or at the very least made an incomplete by the receiver.) 

52 minutes ago, beavis said:

I was hoping when Kraft was in the tunnel, Brady shoves him and says "don't ****ing touch me old man". Kraft trips, and falls, and tumbles, and since the camera crew is following Brady, it all happens in the ever distant background. Then at the end of the game, when Tafoya asks "What's it like to be back in Boston?" Brady hocks a loogie and spits on the field proceeds to say nothing. After a few more questions, all Brady says is stuff like "I proved Bellicheck is nothing but a punk." and  "Those are my banners."

Lmao OMG you had be so disappointed as it was actually the opposite happened and it APPEARS him and BB patched things up after the game when they talked for like 20 minutes.  Brady also said in his post game that his entire relationship with BB was not accurately portrayed. (A lie I am sure but  not shocked)

33 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am more shocked how poised he is, and how he actually goes threw his reads and delivers a very accurate ball.  I really haven’t noticed what you mentioned probably because the throw is usually on target unless he gets hit as he throws. (Like the INT he threw last night and even that should have been caught 

33 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am more shocked how poised he is, and how he actually goes threw his reads and delivers a very accurate ball.  I really haven’t noticed what you mentioned probably because the throw is usually on target unless he gets hit as he throws. (Like the INT he threw last night and even that should have been caught or at the very least made an incomplete by the receiver.) 

Yeah, the first part of my original comment I said how impressed I was with the composure. Especially in a game of that magnitude. 

It’s a good thing for sure, but being a fan of a division rival of course I’m going to look for things that can be exploited. And for me, I’d do my best to take away the shorter stuff and force him to go deeper. If he proves he can do it, I’d adjust. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This morning the advanced stats said that Jones COST the Pats 4 pts with his play last night. I think he hasn't looked bad and could even be decent for sometime, but the hype attached has been stupid and inflated because of where he went not his actual play.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Jones has a little bit of Pennington in him.  I doubt he'll be a bust - but I also doubt he'll be elite.

He can can keep the Pats competitive as long as BB is there (and maybe beyond if the next coach is good).  He's not the hardest QB to defend - doesn't have a long ball, and can't really move in the pocket, though he had a couple of plays where he was able to be elusive.  And he is no run threat at all.

The division is shaping up to be pretty good in the years ahead.  Not this year obviously, but there are some good young players.  It would have been fun to coast through a lame division every year like the Pats were able to during the dynasty years, but getting back to some good rivalry games will be fun, too.

• Like (+1) 2

Idk, I watch Jones and I don’t see an “it”.  I’ve watched all the Pats*** games thus far. Yea he looks composed and yea he looks accurate but I just don’t see anything that says he’ll go out and win a game.  The hype around him is unreal though. I think it’s partially because none of the rookie QBs have looked great.

9 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Idk, I watch Jones and I don’t see an “it”.  I’ve watched all the Pats*** games thus far. Yea he looks composed and yea he looks accurate but I just don’t see anything that says he’ll go out and win a game.  The hype around him is unreal though. I think it’s partially because none of the rookie QBs have looked great.

I think he's looked pretty fantastic; I've seen him play 3 full games now I think.

Remember, he's starting out at ground zero.

19 minutes ago, corta765 said:

This morning the advanced stats said that Jones COST the Pats 4 pts with his play last night. I think he hasn't looked bad and could even be decent for sometime, but the hype attached has been stupid and inflated because of where he went not his actual play.

COST them 4 points? So basically a TD instead of a FG.  (Mind you JJ fumbling on the 30 of TB we KNOW cost them a minimum of 3 points) His play has been the best of ANY QB drafted in this class and it’s not close.  As for hype? Where we are saying it LOOKS like we have a QB but we have Xyz problems still.

12 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Did you see how he drove them down the field against Miami and TB for the game winning drives? One was stopped by a fumble by the RB, the other stopped because BB thought the kicker could hit the game winning FG from 56 yards out.  Also how many rookies really show you they can just win a game this early?   This is only week 4 and he has 4 TD passes which is only 3 less than Newton had all year! Lol

16 minutes ago, Success said:

Jones has a little bit of Pennington in him.  I doubt he'll be a bust - but I also doubt he'll be elite.

He can can keep the Pats competitive as long as BB is there (and maybe beyond if the next coach is good).  He's not the hardest QB to defend - doesn't have a long ball, and can't really move in the pocket, though he had a couple of plays where he was able to be elusive.  And he is no run threat at all.

The division is shaping up to be pretty good in the years ahead.  Not this year obviously, but there are some good young players.  It would have been fun to coast through a lame division every year like the Pats were able to during the dynasty years, but getting back to some good rivalry games will be fun, too.

His pocket presence will get better with time, I am more impressed with his calmness and ability to read the field.  As for the deep ball that’s not really the Pats game plan but he can deliver it when needed he showed that in preseason and Alabama.

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

COST them 4 points? So basically a TD instead of a FG.  (Mind you JJ fumbling on the 30 of TB we KNOW cost them a minimum of 3 points) His play has been the best of ANY QB drafted in this class and it’s not close.  As for hype? Where we are saying it LOOKS like we have a QB but we have Xyz problems still.

I keep hearing the bolded. I've watched all of those guys. 

For starters, it's super early.  I know you're not saying that in a definitive way, but some Pats fans are.  As in, "we got the best rookie QB," and not, "he looks better up to this point."

But he hasn't shown much aside from a little poise in the pocket, and that he can be really accurate on short passes. Guys like Lawrence have been asked to do much more, and have shown that they CAN do much more, in terms of a larger repetoire of passes, a better deep ball, running, etc.   Even Wilson did a lot more yesterday than Mac is asked to do.

I like Mac, and think you got a good one. But he was always the most pro ready. The other guys will improve a lot more, and have a broader skill set to do so.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Don't kill the messenger Bill Barnwell had it this morning that he was a -4.6 epa. Saying his play is the best of any in this class isn't much considering how bad they all have bad in various ways. The last few years you've had guys like Herbet or Burrow etc.. torching for 300 yds etc.. Mac has managed to be the best by simply not being a tirefire which is a respectable thing. And I get your a Pats fan but the hype is there from outlets, heck Collinsworth last night was praising him last night as if he went off for 400 yds 4 TDs. He looked fine last night which is a pretty solid compliment considering who they played, the situation, etc...

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think he's looked pretty fantastic; I've seen him play 3 full games now I think.

Remember, he's starting out at ground zero.

Pretty fantastic? I certainly wouldn’t describe it as that. He’s managed to not look like a tire fire. And that’s because the rest of the rookie Qb class hasn’t looked great. Herbert looked pretty fantastic last season as a rookie. 

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Did you see how he drove them down the field against Miami and TB for the game winning drives? One was stopped by a fumble by the RB, the other stopped because BB thought the kicker could hit the game winning FG from 56 yards out.  Also how many rookies really show you they can just win a game this early?   This is only week 4 and he has 4 TD passes which is only 3 less than Newton had all year! Lol

I’ll give you Miami.. but he didn’t drive the Pats offense down the field against TB and it wasn’t game winning, they didn’t win. He was given a nice pass interference penalty, one that really wasn’t pass interference. Yes the Pats*** had a chance to win it but a 56 yarder isn’t really giving your kicker the best possible chance.  

Edited by Wayne Cubed

24 minutes ago, Success said:

I keep hearing the bolded. I've watched all of those guys. 

For starters, it's super early.  I know you're not saying that in a definitive way, but some Pats fans are.  As in, "we got the best rookie QB," and not, "he looks better up to this point."

But he hasn't shown much aside from a little poise in the pocket, and that he can be really accurate on short passes. Guys like Lawrence have been asked to do much more, and have shown that they CAN do much more, in terms of a larger repetoire of passes, a better deep ball, running, etc.   Even Wilson did a lot more yesterday than Mac is asked to do.

I like Mac, and think you got a good one. But he was always the most pro ready. The other guys will improve a lot more, and have a broader skill set to do so.

First, I don’t believe he is the BEST QB in the draft, just the one looks the best so far. I do believe, outside of Lawrence who is a generational talent, he is the best fit for the Patriots amongst all the QBs drafted. (If that makes sense.)  Also he has done enough, IMO for the team to be 2-2 right now if not 3-1, it’s been sloppy play around him costing them games. (Fumbles against Miami and TB)

Right now I see him as the bright spot on an Offense that is struggling in areas they are suppose to be elite. That is in O line play and the running game. (They got -1 yards running last night! That’s Lion type bad running!) I haven’t watched the other rookies just see stats TE they able to run the ball at all?

31 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Don't kill the messenger Bill Barnwell had it this morning that he was a -4.6 epa. Saying his play is the best of any in this class isn't much considering how bad they all have bad in various ways. The last few years you've had guys like Herbet or Burrow etc.. torching for 300 yds etc.. Mac has managed to be the best by simply not being a tirefire which is a respectable thing. And I get your a Pats fan but the hype is there from outlets, heck Collinsworth last night was praising him last night as if he went off for 400 yds 4 TDs. He looked fine last night which is a pretty solid compliment considering who they played, the situation, etc...

Last night he looked really good. IMO he looked amazing because they couldn’t run and the Bucs were blitzing him like mad and he still made plays. Now is he a superstar? Pfft no but as a Pats fan he is not the problem on O but rather the fumbles, poor O line play, and the inability to run is. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Pretty fantastic? I certainly wouldn’t describe it as that. He’s managed to not look like a tire fire. And that’s because the rest of the rookie Qb class hasn’t looked great. Herbert looked pretty fantastic last season as a rookie. 

I’ll give you Miami.. but he didn’t drive the Pats offense down the field against TB and it wasn’t game winning, they didn’t win. He was given a nice pass interference penalty, one that really wasn’t pass interference. Yes the Pats*** had a chance to win it but a 56 yarder isn’t really giving your kicker the best possible chance.  

The Refs were horrid last night, but thankfully both ways.  The personal foul on Slater and fumble not a fumble.. the numerous times Judon was held and even the announcers saw it or when they did get away with PI with no call.. both sides got away with a few and got called on a few questionable as well.. so Imo there’s a wash. 

I mean he did break a record of most completions in a row by a rookie at 19 in the game so that was pretty amazing.  I also meant “for a game winning drive” also he scored in the Saints game make it 21-13 with 9 minutes left but the D couldn’t make a stop. So we don’t know if he could have led a last minute drive. 

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

The Refs were horrid last night, but thankfully both ways.  The personal foul on Slater and fumble not a fumble.. the numerous times Judon was held and even the announcers saw it or when they did get away with PI with no call.. both sides got away with a few and got called on a few questionable as well.. so Imo there’s a wash. 

I mean he did break a record of most completions in a row by a rookie at 19 in the game so that was pretty amazing.  I also meant “for a game winning drive” also he scored in the Saints game make it 21-13 with 9 minutes left but the D couldn’t make a stop. So we don’t know if he could have led a last minute drive. 

I get the bad calls -- it's a fast game and all -- but I feel like obvious false starts always get called. I was pretty shocked that the last one that should have been called on NE didn't get called. It was pretty obvious.

Jones looks pretty good, but I'd be concerned less about him than an offensive strategy built around 12 play drives. So much can go wrong on any given play and often does. It's why they're averaging 17.5 points per game.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I get the bad calls -- it's a fast game and all -- but I feel like obvious false starts always get called. I was pretty shocked that the last one that should have been called on NE didn't get called. It was pretty obvious.

Jones looks pretty good, but I'd be concerned less about him than an offensive strategy built around 12 play drives. So much can go wrong on any given play and often does. It's why they're averaging 17.5 points per game.

I think Wynn was shocked too.  I can’t explain how or why they missed it, maybe they were afraid getting back to their car later lol.. 

I think the play calling is an effect of lack of O line protection and allowing him go deep. Also it’s kinda been the Pats playbook for 20 years. 

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

First, I don’t believe he is the BEST QB in the draft, just the one looks the best so far. I do believe, outside of Lawrence who is a generational talent, he is the best fit for the Patriots amongst all the QBs drafted. (If that makes sense.)  Also he has done enough, IMO for the team to be 2-2 right now if not 3-1, it’s been sloppy play around him costing them games. (Fumbles against Miami and TB)

Right now I see him as the bright spot on an Offense that is struggling in areas they are suppose to be elite. That is in O line play and the running game. (They got -1 yards running last night! That’s Lion type bad running!) I haven’t watched the other rookies just see stats TE they able to run the ball at all?

Last night he looked really good. IMO he looked amazing because they couldn’t run and the Bucs were blitzing him like mad and he still made plays. Now is he a superstar? Pfft no but as a Pats fan he is not the problem on O but rather the fumbles, poor O line play, and the inability to run is. 

Against a team who’s missing 4 starters from the defensive backfield. Not super impressive, but just a good outing. His defense keeps him in it with his lack of production, and his oline is better than any of the other rookies have. Tampa stopped the run and dared the patriots to win by passing and they couldn’t do it.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

A pats fan complaining about holding not being called is hilarious, they made a living off that for 20 years. Conveniently ignoring the false start as well as the bs interference call is all I need to hear,  break out the wine and cheese, so sad….

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Against a team who’s missing 4 starters from the defensive backfield. Not super impressive, but just a good outing. His defense keeps him in it with his lack of production, and his oline is better than any of the other rookies have. Tampa stopped the run and dared the patriots to win by passing and they couldn’t do it.

Sigh, there is a difference between stopping the run game from being effective and the run game getting -1 yards for the entire game. Aka they were blitzing him ALL night. Second the Pats O line should be a hell lot better than it has been, he has been hit more than almost any other QB over 4 games. Third is now the WB is responsible for drops and fumbles? Because that’s why they lost 2 of the 3 games this year. 

8 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

A pats fan complaining about holding not being called is hilarious, they made a living off that for 20 years. Conveniently ignoring the false start as well as the bs interference call is all I need to hear,  break out the wine and cheese, so sad….

Lmao he isn’t a Pats fan. I also didn’t complain about it I SAID IT WAS HORRID but HORRID both ways. Meaning it didn’t effect the games outcome. Also anyone knows football tell ya the refs can call holding on every play if they wanted because there is always holding. 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:12 AM, SirAndrew said:

If you took the NYS Thruway back to Rochester, that explains it. Traffic has been a joke, even on non game days for a while. It’s so congested I don’t even bother with it sometimes. No interest in paying tolls to drive 50 mph the entire distance. 

I took 20A back to rte 77. It was a joke that way too.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.