Matt Milano #hammywatch - update - officially off the injury report

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Obviously rather have him playing, but with how well Klein has been playing it hopefully wouldn't be too bad of a drop off

Milano is FAR better in coverage than Klein is.  Not having Milano at 100% tomorrow (if at all) will be a massive disadvantage, especially with respect to Kelce.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Listening to Sal C. on the radio yesterday, who is over there and nosing around at the facility, my guess is that Milano will be a scratch for the game, and that's gonna hurt.

Sal was guessing because of the DNP on Wednesday and Thursday. 

These guys around the team, Sal and Chris Brown, don’t actually know anything about what is going on with injuries, trades, free agent signings, draft picks.

They’re like the rest of us, waiting for Shefter to break the story. 

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Especially if they game-planned for Klein.  As we saw when Milano went on IR, Klein playing works best if they customize the defense around what Klein can and can't do, instead of trying to plug him in as "next man up" for Milano

This is important and relevant. Klein is not Milano and vice verse. He plays downhill best. and very well .
Need to use our Safety depth in coverage and likely in underneath pass game of KC. Bills have the depth to adjust run and coverage
 But McFrazier will surely need to adjust smartly if Matt cannot go or his hindered.
any one feel like zone coverage LOL

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Anyone see/know Milano boarding the plane? The few pics I saw posted by the Bills didn’t show him.

Pretty sure that's Milano in pic 6 and 7 of 38 here:

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/suited-up-bills-travel-to-kansas-city-x6948#afebfbce-ff37-4d16-9aaa-ed0a9a6b83ec

(Gotta LOL at Ed Oliver's sweats motto)

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

This is important and relevant. Klein is not Milano and vice verse. He plays downhill best. and very well .
Need to use our Safety depth in coverage and likely in underneath pass game of KC. Bills have the depth to adjust run and coverage
 But McFrazier will surely need to adjust smartly if Matt cannot go or his hindered.
any one feel like zone coverage LOL

Yep.

Hyde commented that his first year in Buffalo and Milano's first year, they hardly ever played Dime and he was like what is up with that? then he figured it had a name, and its name was Matt Milano.  I think Milano commented that Taron Johnson is almost like having a LB out there. 

So part of the base Frazier/McD Bills 4-2-5 D is that they have a LB who has some of the coverage skills of a dime DB, and a nickel corner who has some of the run coverage/pressure skills of a LB.

That's not true when Klein is in there.  He's a good LB, but they need different personnel packages for different situations and they have to hand off some of Milano's coverage responsibilities to the DB and Edmunds.

6 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Wonder if Matakevich sees snaps if Milano is out, he seems better in coverage than Klein.

It's a good question, I was thinking they'd turn to more dime with Neal but who knows? 

For whatever it's worth, Matakevich is 3rd on the depth chart behind Dodson at MLB, and Klein behind Milano.  But of course that reflects someone putting guys on lines in a chart, and not necessarily the coach's thinking for a specific game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty sure that's Milano in pic 6 and 7 of 38 here:

https://www.buffalobills.com/photos/suited-up-bills-travel-to-kansas-city-x6948#afebfbce-ff37-4d16-9aaa-ed0a9a6b83ec

(Gotta LOL at Ed Oliver's sweats motto)

It is. Excellent. Gotta mean he’s playing, right? Flights, hotel, sustenance for a injured guy who isn’t playing? That’d be an expensive rouse if not..

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It is. Excellent. Gotta mean he’s playing, right? Flights, hotel, sustenance for a injured guy who isn’t playing? That’d be an expensive rouse if not..

Uncertain?  AFAIK, they regularly take all 53 regular roster guys even when the coaches already know they won't be playing, unless they are actually ruled "Out" on Friday.  The charter plane is already paid for, I'm sure the catered meals have enough extra that they don't care +/- 1 or 2 guys, and the hotel room is probably considered a fair tradeoff for maintaining uncertainty.

In fact, unsure about this year but last season I believe they brought the entire practice squad on the trip because if they lose someone to Covid quarantine tonight or tomorrow (AVERT!), I think they have the option to bring up a PS guy to replace them, which obviously couldn't happen if the PS guys aren't with the team.

36 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yeah, Milano is better in coverage, but Klein is  much more likely to knock the Rat out of the game with a vicious hit.

I probably shouldn't encourage this theme and nickname but....you mean like this?

image.thumb.png.440f55cd2aa621f70bd1b1548e837716.png

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Uncertain?  AFAIK, they regularly take all 53 regular roster guys even when the coaches already know they won't be playing, unless they are actually ruled "Out" on Friday.  The charter plane is already paid for, I'm sure the catered meals have enough extra that they don't care +/- 1 or 2 guys, and the hotel room is probably considered a fair tradeoff for maintaining uncertainty.

In fact, unsure about this year but last season I believe they brought the entire practice squad on the trip because if they lose someone to Covid quarantine tonight or tomorrow (AVERT!), I think they have the option to bring up a PS guy to replace them, which obviously couldn't happen if the PS guys aren't with the team.

I probably shouldn't encourage this theme and nickname but....you mean like this?

image.thumb.png.440f55cd2aa621f70bd1b1548e837716.png

That’s nice… but I’m thinking more like this:

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Listening to Sal C. on the radio yesterday, who is over there and nosing around at the facility, my guess is that Milano will be a scratch for the game, and that's gonna hurt.

Milano being out, and possibly followed by Espenesa sounds just about right going into tomorrow night.

Watch, Tre will get the flu.

AI hate to 🤬 that we can’t have nice things.

7 hours ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Milano is FAR better in coverage than Klein is.  Not having Milano at 100% tomorrow (if at all) will be a massive disadvantage, especially with respect to Kelce.

If Milano is out, have Klein line up over Kelce every play and get him to jam him than late rush Mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Putin said:

Im sorry but game will not be decided on our LB play this is ALL on Josh  , yes I’d love to see Milano on the field but I’d much rather see the Josh a saw against the Seahawks last year !!! 

The Chargers beat the Chiefs by holding them to 24 points, collecting 2 picks and 2 fumbles along the way.

There are typically 8-10 drives per team game, 7 or 9 meaningful ones plus a couple at end of half.  If we let the Chiefs score TDs on 6 of their 7 drives like the Iggles did, and it just becomes a 42 or 49 point shootout, I don't like our chances.

When the Chiefs have beat us it's not "all on Mahomes", it's because their defense has harassed and harried Josh, and mugged and thugged our WR.

We need our D.  If it's "all on Josh", our chances of winning are not that good because we haven't done "TD on Every Drive" yet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Chargers beat the Chiefs by holding them to 24 points, collecting 2 picks and 2 fumbles along the way.

There are typically 8-10 drives per team game, 7 or 9 meaningful ones plus a couple at end of half.  If we let the Chiefs score TDs on 6 of their 7 drives like the Iggles did, and it just becomes a 42 or 49 point shootout, I don't like our chances

When the Chiefs have beat us it's not "all on Mahomes", it's because their defense has harassed and harried Josh, and mugged and thugged our WR.

We need our D.  If it's "all on Josh", our chances of winning are not that good because we haven't done "TD on Every Drive" yet.

And this is the game that will have to score almost on every possession , If we have to count on our defense we are not winning this game 

• Disagree 1

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's amazing to watch some of that old footage. That would for reals be a penalty these days.

And even then, didn't I see a yellow flag fly out?

I’m cool with a flag. I’m cool with a fine, just get the job done.

As Tony Siragusa said after squishing Rich Gannon in the AFCCG, “It was the best money I ever spent.”

It’s a team game.

Mike Schopp and his put it all on Josh, Jeremy White says the same thing, Josh needs to win the game for us is amateur. 

When I think in reality we all know a bunch of things went wrong last year in both games.

Our offensive line stunk up the joint.

Our WRs struggled to get separation.

Daboll was stymied by Spagnuolo’s 3-Safety looks.

We didn’t run the ball effectively or enough and Moss was hurt for Game 2.

Josh was pressing.

Whether we got gashed in the run game or played soft coverage, the defense couldn’t stop the Chiefs. The got whatever they wanted.

I think the truth is they have Michael Jordan. We are trying to beat Michael Jordan and the Bulls. 

So it’s going to take that kind of

locked in effort to beat that team. 

Diggs has to show up, Beasley has to torch Ward if they put him on him, Moss and Singletary need that 5 yards per clip, Chris Jones needs to keep struggling, Daboll can’t leave our offensive line on an island with 5-wide sets if they are struggling, McDermott needs to get on the radio and back aggressive shots into the end zone. 

We can’t have goofy backwards  pitches that don’t work, flea flickers thrown late, guys playing 15-yards off WRs, missed tackles. It’s going to take Playoff level execution to beat these guys. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It’s a team game.

Mike Schopp and his put it all on Josh, Jeremy White says the same thing, Josh needs to win the game for us is amateur. 

When I think in reality we all know a bunch of things went wrong last year in both games.

Our offensive line stunk up the joint.

Our WRs struggled to get separation.

Daboll was stymied by Spagnuolo’s 3-Safety looks.

We didn’t run the ball effectively or enough and Moss was hurt for Game 2.

Josh was pressing.

Whether we got gashed in the run game or played soft coverage, the defense couldn’t stop the Chiefs. The got whatever they wanted.

I think the truth is they have Michael Jordan. We are trying to beat Michael Jordan and the Bulls. 

Diggs has to show up, Beasley has to torch Ward if they put him on him, Moss and Singletary need that 5 yards per clip, Chris Jones needs to keep struggling, Daboll can’t leave our offensive line on an island with 5-wide sets if they are struggling, McDermott needs to get on the radio and back aggressive shots into the end zone. 

We can’t have goofy backwards  pitches that don’t work, flea flickers thrown late, guys playing 15-yards off WRs, missed tackles. It’s going to take Playoff level execution to beat these guys. 

Chiefs defense is one of the worst in the league this year and yet they’re still favorites why is that ? 

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

Chiefs defense is one of the worst in the league this year and yet they’re still favorites why is that ? 

Mahomes plays QB at the highest level this league has ever seen.

And as much as it’s still Kelce and Hill making up 70% of their offense, that triangle has been hard to stop.

24 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Fair take.  

Another thing we can't have is the fumbles.  We've been "dodging the bullet" there.  Boxscore by Boxscore, I count 9 (nine) in 4 games.

We haven't been in an uproar about it, because we've only lost 2 of them, but that's just random chance.

Hopefully it's been a point of renewed emphasis by our coaches this week.

13 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Mahomes plays QB at the highest level this league has ever seen.

And as much as it’s still Kelce and Hill making up 70% of their offense, that triangle has been hard to stop.

True, but they can be slowed.  The Chargers held them to 24.  First game last season we held them to 26.

We can't expect to Donut them, but we also can't expect to win if we let them rack up a 40-burger on us.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fair take.  

Another thing we can't have is the fumbles.  We've been "dodging the bullet" there.  Boxscore by Boxscore, I count 9 (nine) in 4 games.

We haven't been in an uproar about it, because we've only lost 2 of them, but that's just random chance.

Hopefully it's been a point of renewed emphasis by our coaches this week.

True, but they can be slowed.  The Chargers held them to 24.  First game last season we held them to 26.

We can't expect to Donut them, but we also can't expect to win if we let them rack up a 40-burger on us.

The Chargers held them to 24 points because of 4 turnovers , 

and for us to win our offense will have to score TD’s and not settle for FG we shouldn’t even have to punt they’re defense is one of the worst , 

10 hours ago, Putin said:

I promise that they wouldn’t have the worst defense in the league if they had played the Steelers, Fins, WFT and the Texans.  

edit:  walking around P&L last night talking to random Bills fans, I realized:  there are a LOT of clueless folks that root for our boys.  If what I heard last night is correct, Milano will be starting and he’s not even hurt.

Edited by NewEra

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I promise that they wouldn’t have the worst defense in the league if they had played the Steelers, Fins, WFT and the Texans. 

You would keep your promise, but the flip side is also true.  If the Steelers, Fins, and Texans hadn't played us, they wouldn't have some of the worst offenses in the league.

At this point in the season, there's a strong relationship between the outcome of 1 outlier game and a team's ranking. 

If, instead of being skunked by us, the Dolphins had scored the average number of points from their other 3 games, they'd be 21st-23rd instead of 31.  The Texans would be similar, but data suggest they will struggle with their current QB

WFT does not have one of the worst offenses in the league, although they have played us (3-1) and the Chargers (also 3-1)

It's #11, even without Fitz.

I got nothin' on the Steelers.  They're currently ranked 28 on offense and they deserve to be.  Their offense is managing a mighty 16 points per game.  I don't think they beat us if 1) their defense wasn't close to 100% when they played us, and missing guys ever sense. 2) Tomlin and Butler didn't stay up late all summer plotting out how to stop us on offense.  It worked against the offense Daboll planned, the OL that didn't show up, and the way Allen played.

11 hours ago, Putin said:

They really aren’t… it’s 2.5 and normally it’s 3 just for home field. It’s a pick em right now. But as you know they “usually” can overcome their bad D with their offense and that’s why 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You would keep your promise, but the flip side is also true.  If the Steelers, Fins, and Texans hadn't played us, they wouldn't have some of the worst offenses in the league.

At this point in the season, there's a strong relationship between the outcome of 1 outlier game and a team's ranking. 

If, instead of being skunked by us, the Dolphins had scored the average number of points from their other 3 games, they'd be 21st-23rd instead of 31.  The Texans would be similar, but data suggest they will struggle with their current QB

WFT does not have one of the worst offenses in the league, although they have played us (3-1) and the Chargers (also 3-1)

It's #11, even without Fitz.

I got nothin' on the Steelers.  They're currently ranked 28 on offense and they deserve to be.  Their offense is managing a mighty 16 points per game.  I don't think they beat us if 1) their defense wasn't close to 100% when they played us, and missing guys ever sense. 2) Tomlin and Butler didn't stay up late all summer plotting out how to stop us on offense.  It worked against the offense Daboll planned, the OL that didn't show up, and the way Allen played.

Soooooo…..you’re saying that we wouldn’t have the best D in the league if we had played the Chargers, Browns, Ravens and Eagles? 😆

our D is good and much improved.  I just don’t think we have the best D in the league.  We’ll find out tonight!

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Soooooo…..you’re saying that we wouldn’t have the best D in the league if we had played the Chargers, Browns, Ravens and Eagles? 😆

our D is good and much improved.  I just don’t think we have the best D in the league.  We’ll find out tonight!

Nor do we need to in order to win the game 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I'm just pointing out that the woulda, coulda, shoulda business cuts both ways. 

One of the 4 teams we played has a pretty good offense.  One of them seems to have a legit bad offense.  The other two have mediocre offenses.

We likely wouldn't have the best D in the league if we'd played those guys but it's also possible their offensive rankings would be significantly lower.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nor do we need to in order to win the game 

Agreed. That thought had been resonating as I was talking to a bunch of Bills fans last night.  I was the only person that thought we had a chance to lose—-literally every person I chatted with were sure that we would win by at least 2 scores.  

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just pointing out that the woulda, coulda, shoulda business cuts both ways. 

One of the 4 teams we played has a pretty good offense.  One of them seems to have a legit bad offense.  The other two have mediocre offenses.

We likely wouldn't have the best D in the league if we'd played those guys but it's also possible their offensive rankings would be significantly lower.

Eh, to each their own-

The Miami offense is putrid imo  They are not mediocre imo. Their OC should be fired in weeks, not at the end of the season.  

The Steelers, also putrid.  Not mediocre.  That’s a bad offense. 

The WFT offense is average

jmo

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

This is the best offense the Chiefs D has played. Technically the Ravens are ranked higher but still score over 7 points less per game than the Bills and the Bills offense is more balanced and dynamic. So I don’t see this as a get right game for their D. They are the offense that needs to score on every possession. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They really aren’t… it’s 2.5 and normally it’s 3 just for home field. It’s a pick em right now. But as you know they “usually” can overcome their bad D with their offense and that’s why 

"Home field advantage" hasn't existed for 3 years in a row now.  At least in the NFL.  

Some say last year had to do with COVID and no fans at games, but the trend started the year prior with fans, and it's continuing again this year with fans too.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is the best offense the Chiefs D has played. Technically the Ravens are ranked higher but still score over 7 points less per game than the Bills and the Bills offense is more balanced and dynamic. So I don’t see this as a get right game for their D. They are the offense that needs to score on every possession. 

I hope you’re right.  

Frank Clark has been injured and has only played in one game I believe. His return could push Chris Jones back inside more often—-which is bad news for our OL imo.   

Their most athletic LB, Willie Gay, hasn’t played yet this year either 

Based on the last two meetings vs KC- it’ll be on our coaching staff to get things right.  They failed epically 

—-I just heard that a Chris Jones’ wrist injury is apparently more serious that they had initially thought and that he’ll be a game time decision.  If he sits, I think we win 💯 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.