Was anyone here at the 1988 division clinching game vs the Jets?

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, Rubes said:

That game, when it came down to the end and the Jets were about to kick the game-winning FG, my dad made us get up and start walking up the stairs from the lower bowl so we could get out of there fast. I made him stop at the top of the steps so we could watch the kick, and...boom. Smerlas saved the day.

Good times.

I wasn;t there but watched it on the TV.  The Monday Rochester headlines read: "Smerlas Blocks Out The Past!"  Great game, great season.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

I was 9 at the time and there with my folks.  Just remember the rain and the feeling that this couldn't really be happening, that the Bills were actually going to win the division and host a playoff game.  Obviously, my parents had the good sense not to allow me down on the field, but I remember watching with glee as the posts came down. 

Also, I remember becoming a huge Scott Norwood fan.  I spent the next two weeks kicking field goals over the fence in my driveway. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

By page 15, we'll be up to 97,071 people who were there.

There are a few games in Bills fandom that approximately ALL of WNY was at:

80 Dolphins

88 Jets

Comeback Game

2011 Slaying of Pats

2017 Snowbowl

I was at the snowbowl and have pictures being front row. There was not more then 56-57k there that day, yet it has 100% morphed into a game where at my last count 80k were in a stadium that maxes at 70k haha 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, corta765 said:

80 Dolphins

88 Jets

Comeback Game

2011 Slaying of Pats

2017 Snowbowl

I was at the snowbowl and have pictures being front row. There was not more then 56-57k there that day, yet it has 100% morphed into a game where at my last count 80k were in a stadium that maxes at 70k haha 

I was at pretty much every home game from 1987-1994, but one of the few I missed was the comeback game.  I had strep, so my parents had to leave me at home. :(

Another great game (for the atmosphere) was the 2002 home game against the Dolphins where Ricky Williams ran for 200+ yards and the Bills stormed back as blizzard-like conditions whipped in during the second half.  That was my wife's first Bills game (she's a SoCal girl and had never been to Buffalo before).  Just a perfect way to introduce someone to the Buffalo Bills experience.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Greg S said:

I wasn't at this one but I was at the season finale in 1989 at Giants Stadium.  The Bills clinched the division that day with a 37-0 blowout win over the Jets. The game was sold out but there were a lot of no-shows. Attendance was just over 21,000. That was a great day. 

I was at that game, it was freezing. 

I was in the upper deck parallel to the kick about 5 rows up with a friend from the UK who had never seen a game live before. I remember telling him “they never miss from in this close unless someone blocks it” and low and behold it gets blocked!!! YESS!! What a weird sloppy game. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, corta765 said:

80 Dolphins

88 Jets

Comeback Game

2011 Slaying of Pats

2017 Snowbowl

LOL.  Good call.

Of those I was only at the 88 Jets but there were a few other memorable games I was at.  Bills - Denver for Biscuit's first game, Bills-Dolphins 1987 Marino's TD streak is broken, Bills - Raiders Jan 1994 Coldest Bills game in history. 

And Seattle San Francisco NFC Championship Richard Sherman batted ball leads to INT

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills - Raiders Jan 1994 Coldest Bills game in history. 

I remember getting to our seats and there was about a foot of ice on them.  My Dad brought two Thermoses full of hot chocolate, but neither of us wanted to take our gloves off to open them.  Our section all just sort of huddled together and barely moved the entire game.  

And I'm pretty sure the week (or maybe two weeks) before against the Jets was the previous coldest game in Buffalo history.  My Mom took my Grandfather in one of the luxury suites, while Dad and I sat outside in our season tix.  It was frigid and I remember going up to visit my Mom and Grandpa at halftime and my Mom was complaining that the suite was so cold (it was like 65*) she had to put on her sweater.  That comment didn't go over real well with me and Dad...lol.

• Like (+1) 1