Star Lotulelei this season

DBilz2500

On 10/3/2021 at 5:56 PM, Dopey said:

It's not just you.

Question: what the hell were all you naysayers watching the past couple of seasons he played in?!?

People have trouble understanding that players at his position should not be judged by numbers like tackles or sacks.

• Agree 2

On 9/29/2021 at 8:49 PM, Rico said:

Right now, I think it looks like Star is back next year, with a new backup 1T drafted or signed to go with Oliver/Zim at 3T.

He sure is in his great condition and strength
Smart and high quality leadership qualities have been reported again this year.
 I have stayed steady and positive about Star al along. But this year he is true differnce maker

and he is beast when you watch closely one handing each in double teams and still getting push

I hope we get him back next season. at same level of play and humble price 

Go Star

Go Bills D F4

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/3/2021 at 3:56 PM, Dopey said:

It's not just you.

Question: what the hell were all you naysayers watching the past couple of seasons he played in?!?

There are a few noisy posters here, that love to complain about Star, Edmunds, Wallace, etc, they are mostly wrong most of the time, their view of football is what was relevant in the game fifteen plus years ago, they don’t seem to want to understand/accept that the game has changed as to what the priorities on O & D are now, sure they are right now and again, (who the hell isn’t) and they cling to those rare moments, it makes them feel good, and that’s important for anyone’s psyche to feel good, they bring a certain, “ I do not know what” to the forum, and that’s okay,

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/3/2021 at 5:56 PM, Dopey said:

It's not just you.

An interesting thought is would we all be appreciating him as much as we are now if he hadn't opted out last year? Not having the harder to see things that he does for a season I think really improved peoples opinions of him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/28/2021 at 4:31 AM, The Wiz said:

I think it would be hard for Doug marrone to not fit at least 6 "obviously" in this reply.

Yea almost like he was checked out last year. I understand he missed every defensive line meeting too last year.  It got so bad they didn't even write him a game check once last year! Guess the missed meeting fines no game checks woke him up a bit so he's more noticeable as he tries to regain his lunch money. He couldn't afford to eat as well last year missing all those game checks.  You can see the weight he lost because that.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Star is having the best season of his NFL career.  What's motivated him to get in shape and play this hard?   The pay cut?   The team shifting to more of an attacking style of 1 tech?   The realization that he can't be around his wife 24/7 so he needs to make this football thing last a lot longer?   Who is to say?  Maybe if he keeps playing well and they get to SB week someone will ask him that question.

What we do know is that he underwhelmed in his first two years in Buffalo and was subsequently issued a pay cut.   For people who do not believe the former.......see the latter.   This organization does not ask players to take pay cuts unless they aren't playing well enough to justify the base salary........which at that point wasn't that high because they had already paid him around $15M in signing and other bonuses.

He's been impactful and very fun to watch this season and it's also been hilarious reading all the "he's the same as always" crazy talk takes here on TSW.    When Star Lotulelei is featured even remotely favorably on "pass rush win rate" graphs or charts you can rest assured there has been a seismic shift in his play. :lol:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Special K said:

It’s obvious that Star didn’t sit around on his butt during his Covid opt out year...it appears he has added to his game, and the year of rest has obviously done wonders for him!!

When the NHL lost a season due to a lockout in 04/05 a lot of the veteran players who didn’t play overseas said the year of rest and taking care of their bodies helped to extend their careers and improve their performance in the years that followed.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea almost like he was checked out last year. I understand he missed every defensive line meeting too last year.  It got so bad they didn't even write him a game check once last year! Guess the missed meeting fines no game checks woke him up a bit so he's more noticeable as he tries to regain his lunch money. He couldn't afford to eat as well last year missing all those game checks.  You can see the weight he lost because that.

Took me a moment but 😁

21 hours ago, Warcodered said:

An interesting thought is would we all be appreciating him as much as we are now if he hadn't opted out last year? Not having the harder to see things that he does for a season I think really improved peoples opinions of him.

He looks in his best shape. Changed his body around. Now he looks to be attacking again !
some times we need time away to refocus on what we love and what we wish to accomplish. Covid pandemic forced that upon some of Us.
as far as Star?  He looks the beast so far.

Kudos to him, and McBeanes for knowing this dudes head coming into this season. I thought he was checked out honestly.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

When the NHL lost a season due to a lockout in 04/05 a lot of the veteran players who didn’t play overseas said the year of rest and taking care of their bodies helped to extend their careers and improve their performance in the years that followed.

I needed one of those "rest " seasons too

reasonable points Bad.
 Let the Star roll on !
Cheering the laundry this year for me :) Every one is bringing something worthwhile at some point 
 Matchups and rotations. love it

Edited by 3rdand12

33 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Took me a moment but 😁

He looks in his best shape. Changed his body around. Now he looks to be attacking again !
some times we need time away to refocus on what we love and what we wish to accomplish. Covid pandemic forced that upon some of Us.
as far as Star?  He looks the beast so far.

Kudos to him, and McBeanes for knowing this dudes head coming into this season. I thought he was checked out honestly.

Yea I wanted to make it very subtle.  What can I say I'm a baker's daughter  I have a 'rye' sense of humor. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:08 AM, Eastport bills said:

This guy ame back with a giant chip on his shoulder. Playing fast and being disruptive. A big difference maker. He gives us pressure up the middle with Oliver. This could impact the KC game.

I'm sorry, what evidence is there that a "chip" is the motivation?

14 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I'm sorry, what evidence is there that a "chip" is the motivation?

No evidence, but just an opinion. Guy missed a season and was not expected to be a big contributor. He comes in lighter, quicker and nastier. To me he is under the radar and has something to prove in the twilight of his career.

IMHO it's less a chip than a case of "you never know what you've got until it's gone" and concern that being obese and unfit might kill him if he gets COVID.  But whatever the case, great to see he's making the impact many of us expected.

After last year with him not being in the line up we are probably just noticing his production by being in there again when they drafted Ed O. his rookie numbers were pretty good because Star did a lot of the dirty work enabling some freedom for others to get after the QB. 

It's always been that Star presence wouldn't jump off the screen when it comes to stats but it sure has shown up in other ways that him being a first round talent and just being in there proves McD's reason for bringing him in and knowing how he would effect the D .

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Doc said:

IMHO it's less a chip than a case of "you never know what you've got until it's gone" and concern that being obese and unfit might kill him if he gets COVID.  But whatever the case, great to see he's making the impact many of us expected.

Maybe he was actually advised to lose weight and then with bills training staffs devised plan to get into this slimmed down shape that's healthier to maintain.  Opting out may have just been great timing on reshaping his physique. Looks like he's more apt to be healthier in present form and hasn't lost his strength.

I also wonder with the upgrades we've done across the DL this year if that's had an impact to Star's game. Could be that lackluster DT and DE play, or lack of depth was an issue. DL is a lot like OL, if there's a couple of weaker links in the chain it ripples across the performance of the entire line.

Will say he looks great this year and is playing excellent. Credit to him for keeping in shape during his opt out and coming back rejuvenated. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.