Week 3: WFT at Bills

YoloinOhio

Maybe we could kinda loosely keep this thread for discussing the upcoming game with the WFT, and use another thread to discuss whether or not Allen sucks if he doesn't perform to your satisfaction, and how we as fans should "Demand" more?

Just a thought, but I did split some responses off to create one....if you are looking for a post that's not here, it moved there:

You might need a subscription or at least to sign up to read this WaPo article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/20/svrluga-washington-football-team-taylor-heinicke/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/20/washington-football-team-defense-penalties/

Apparently, WFT has a defensive penalty problem:

The Washington Football Team’s defense has a penalty problem. There are several reasons the talented unit has underperformed in the season’s first two weeks, according to Coach Ron Rivera, including miscommunication and missed assignments. But penalties by the defense have proved costly — every time Washington has committed an infraction, its opponent has finished the drive with a score.

Washington has hamstrung itself with penalties in all three phases — its total of 17 is tied for fifth most in the NFL through Sunday’s games — but the eight defensive flags have hurt in particular. The team’s margin for error could shrink in coming weeks, given Washington is set to face several top quarterbacks, starting Sunday with a road trip to meet Josh Allen’s Buffalo Bills. Over Washington’s subsequent six games, it is set to take on Kansas City’s Patrick Mahomes, Green Bay’s Aaron Rodgers and Tampa Bay’s Tom Brady.

“We just have to do better,” defensive tackle Jonathan Allen said. “It’s not like the issues are we’re just not good enough. We obviously have the talent. We just got to focus on the little things, and honestly, thank God our offense was there to save us time and time again.”

Inside Washington’s game-winning drive against the New York Giants

Statistically, there is hope Washington’s penalty rate will decline. One study of penalty data from 1999 to 2020, which included more than 64,000 infractions, found the rates at which a team is flagged for certain types of penalties can be somewhat consistent. But the magnitude of the moments in which Washington’s have occurred will not necessarily continue — meaning that even if Washington keeps getting penalized as much as it has been, it doesn’t mean it’ll keep happening on plays as important as Fuller’s pass interference against Shepard.

“[Washington’s penalties so far] are still not all that predictive of future performance,” the penalty study’s author, Jack Lichtenstein, said in an email. “I would not be all that concerned.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Questions unrelated to the game (well sort of):

1 - should a Washington fan be forced to bin their "Redskins" gear if they don't want to?

2 - does a Bills fan (or any fan) have the right to give a WTF fan grief if they wear said "Redskins" gear to that teams stadium? 

I am curious to know how this is viewed.  

I view this as something someone can remain curious about.

:)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/04/26/ron-rivera-washington-football-culture/

Some backstory on Haskins:

Some people just naturally know how to say things in a voice that will make dogs sit and men dig entrenchments, and Ron Rivera is one of them. Born at Fort Ord in California, where his father was an Army chief warrant officer, he has such a habitual tone of command that you can practically hear the italics in his words, even on Zoom.

“I will tell you right now, we’re going to the Super Bowl, okay? But you’re not all going to come,” the head coach said in his first remote meeting with the Washington Football Team last spring. “If you want to be part of it, you have to make the commitment to us. And just so you understand, there are only two options with this commitment: You’re either in or you’re OUT. There will be no in-between.”

But if Rivera wasn’t willing to back it up with firm action, none of it meant a thing. He learned that from John Madden, a mentor early in Rivera’s head coaching career with the Carolina Panthers. “Ron, don’t ever forget you set the standard,” Madden told him. “And if you don’t hold everybody to the same standard, then you’re just talking into the wind.”

In fact, Rivera wasn’t holding everybody to the same standard. And they all knew it. Quarterback Dwayne Haskins, the personal first-round draft pick of owner Daniel Snyder, was a visible laggard. If there was one bad habit in the organization, the veterans knew, it was the devaluing of real effort while allowing a favored few to slide.

Haskins was a huge complication in Rivera’s culture campaign because he made all of Rivera’s talk just wind. By the second game, Rivera was “concerned,” and by the third, when Haskins gave up three interceptions and a fumble in a loss to the Cleveland Browns, Rivera started asking hard questions of his staff.

“What type of commitment do we have? What is he doing? When is he getting in? When is he leaving? What extra things has he done? Who’s he been working with?”

Rivera would ask receivers, “Hey, have you been doing any extra work with him?” The reply was no. “You haven’t?”

When Rivera and his staff looked at the Cleveland game tape, he saw something that truly startled him. On a throw late in the game, Haskins went through his progression backward. His first look was to a receiver who was the last option on the play.

A week later he demoted Haskins to third string, and it was one of the two most important personnel moves Rivera would make all season. “I will say this: I think doing what I did helped me with the other guys,” Rivera reflects. “Because I showed them that, hey, guys, I’m not all-in on just one guy. I’m all-in on the team. …

The second-most-important player move was elevating unsung grinder Jeremy Reaves — and it was the complete opposite of the Haskins situation. Rivera had cut the 24-year-old safety from the roster of 53 in preseason, but Reaves was the kind of guy who did everything he was asked, in double-time. He had caught the coach’s eye with his energy. Rivera told him: “Look, you got our attention. This is a numbers game. Keep working, and I promise I’ll give you an opportunity.”

When Landon Collins went out with a season-ending Achilles’ injury, the football world expected Rivera to bring in big-name veteran Eric Reid to help with the playoff chase. But Rivera kept his promise to Reaves and promoted him from the practice squad. Reaves ended up the fifth-highest-rated safety in the league according to Pro Football Focus — and he told everyone in the building Rivera was a man of his word.

Now comes Stage 2 — and what Rivera knows about the second phase is that it can be a trap. He learned that when he took Carolina to the Super Bowl with a 15-1 record, then went 6-10 the next year. “Got the crap kicked out of us,” he says matter-of-factly. Again, he talked to Madden. “How do you sustain it?” he asked. Madden said, “Ron, you start from the beginning.”

“Excuse me?” Rivera said.

“You can’t show up and think you’re going to pick up right where you left off in January,” Madden told him. “You have to show up and start from the beginning. You have to be better at the details, be better at the little things. You can’t ever let anybody think that the little things don’t matter, that now you have all the answers. You don’t.”

So Washington will start from the beginning, with Rivera preaching “base fundamentals” in staff meetings last week. “Every year has its own personality,” Rivera says, his voice rising. “I’m as excited as anybody. I think we have a chance. But the biggest thing I have to do is make sure we start at the beginning and work our way up.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I like to call them the artists formerly known as the Hogettes…. but in all seriousness they have a very good dline which will generate pressure but their back 7 is suspect this is a Josh game where plays can be made downfield…as to the other side Heinecke was undrafted for a reason and he’s not the biggest guy their skill talent is ok get some pressure and he should fold like an accordion 

13 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Questions unrelated to the game (well sort of):

1 - should a Washington fan be forced to bin their "Redskins" gear if they don't want to?

2 - does a Bills fan (or any fan) have the right to give a WTF fan grief if they wear said "Redskins" gear to that teams stadium? 

I am curious to know how this is viewed.  

This topic is near and dear to my heart (kinda)

I was born and raised in Lancaster in the days before everything was offensive and had to be eliminated. All through my school days we were the Lancaster Redskins, WKBW radio even donated a "mascot costume" (I think it was via some kind of contest) of an Indian brave's full regalia that a student would wear on the sidelines during games. Needless to say, the school decided that Lancaster Redskins was too offensive and changed to the Lancaster Legions. A while back I attended my 50th class reunion, and the sentiment of once a redskin always a redskin was voiced more than a few times.

So no, a Redskins fan should cherish that Redskin gear, wear it with pride.

As far as a fan giving a Redskins fan grief for wearing said gear; put yourself in their situation. If PETA decides that Buffalo Bills is offensive because he represents the wholesale slaughter of the Bison herds and force a name change to the "Buffalo Big Guys", I know as far as myself I'm still wearing Bills gear, and if someone gave me grief over my Bills gear my response would be ... "Once a Bills fan, always a Bills fan ... Bite me" 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Gen2 said:

This topic is near and dear to my heart (kinda)

I was born and raised in Lancaster in the days before everything was offensive and had to be eliminated. All through my school days we were the Lancaster Redskins, WKBW radio even donated a "mascot costume" (I think it was via some kind of contest) of an Indian brave's full regalia that a student would wear on the sidelines during games. Needless to say, the school decided that Lancaster Redskins was too offensive and changed to the Lancaster Legions. A while back I attended my 50th class reunion, and the sentiment of once a redskin always a redskin was voiced more than a few times.

So no, a Redskins fan should cherish that Redskin gear, wear it with pride.

As far as a fan giving a Redskins fan grief for wearing said gear; put yourself in their situation. If PETA decides that Buffalo Bills is offensive because he represents the wholesale slaughter of the Bison herds and force a name change to the "Buffalo Big Guys", I know as far as myself I'm still wearing Bills gear, and if someone gave me grief over my Bills gear my response would be ... "Once a Bills fan, always a Bills fan ... Bite me" 

I think there is a difference between PETA protesting on behalf of an animal and a group of actual human beings telling you over the course of a number of years that the word you are directly attaching to them specifically is offensive to them and they want you to stop using the word.   I highly doubt you'd drive out onto a reservation somewhere, hop out of your car, and say something akin to "Hey, how are all of you redskins doing today?"  If you wouldn't use the word in that fashion why is ok to use the word as part of a caricature of those exact same people? Go out to a reservation dressed head to toe in that costume your high school used. If it's an overblown thing that isn't worthy of consideration then you should have nothing to be concerned about. Right?  It's not about everything being offensive and needing to be eliminated. It's about listening to people we as a society haven't normally listened to and God forbid at least trying to be a basic level of respectful towards. You are welcome to use whatever words you want to use. There are a long list of words that different people have asked not to be called and for obvious reasons I won't make a list.  I would suggest that if you wouldn't use those words in the presence of the people the words refer to then you are actually aware that they are not appropriate and choose to use them anyway.  If your child brought home someone from one of the groups with a word that has been deemed to be inappropriate and you wouldn't call them that word to their face immediately upon meeting them then, again, you are aware the word is hurtful. You wouldn't use it out of common courtesy and politeness.  

I still occasionally refer to the football team as the Redskins, it takes awhile to change your linguistic habits after spending 40 years calling something one name, but I'm at least making an effort. If you're not at least willing to try, and using that specific word in that way is more important to you than having a basic level of respect for people who have repeatedly asked you to stop doing it, then I dunno what to tell you.  Quite frankly, the board has a language filter that is pretty liberally applied to plenty of other words the world at large has deemed to be inappropriate for public consumption and it's a little surprising (and at the same time not at all) that that particular word hasn't been included yet.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1