Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

9 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

In today's NFL LBs are similar to RBs in that they aren't as important. I mean we've played nickel 90% of the time on D. If I had to choose importance of Edmunds on the D, I think White, Hyde, Power, Milano, Hughes/Rousseau and maybe Oliver I'd rate more important/better. 

You're saying he's less important than rotational D-linemen, and a rookie and 36 year old who is gone at years end at that. Milano's great but he's effective in tandem with Tremaine similar to the Bucs LBS. 

57 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I’ll take the 5th to keep from getting a warning 

Don’t be afraid! Do you have any tequila in the house? We want to know what you really think!      

I mean, we might miss you for a while, but it might be some fine entertainment!     :)

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

You're saying he's less important than rotational D-linemen, and a rookie and 36 year old who is gone at years end at that. Milano's great but he's effective in tandem with Tremaine similar to the Bucs LBS

They play entirely different defensive schemes. That being said, you are right: generally guys play better when they play next to a guy who is good. 

I have been a harsh critic of his and was underwhelmed by his play in his first 3 years. Remember we traded up to pick 16 and he was nowhere near that level.

But I think he has definitely gone up a notch this year. If he could improve at the same rate by the end of the year then I would like to see him get a contract extension.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

By comparing his value to offensive players your killing your argument, which is mostly your personal dislike for the player.

When you're dealing with possible future contracts and cap money you have to look at all your players. You can't sign them all. Especially with $44M tied up on Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

When you're dealing with possible future contracts and cap money you have to look at all your players. You can't sign them all. Especially with $44M tied up on Josh.

So what's the problem with picking up the option this year, and watching his progress. The defense overcomes a host of offensive shortcomings. The way we are holding offenses down make us the formidable team we are.

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

It's a good thing you don't make personnel decisions. Edmunds is a freakish athlete that makes plays sideline to sideline. Speed, length and 22 years old. He is our QB on defense and it's the top rated defense in football. Your problem with him is his long hair?

He doesn’t make that many plays though. That’s what many of us keep pointing out. Klein made as many great plays today as Edmunds has all year. He is a freakish athlete that lacks instincts. He is playing better this year than last year and the have another year to figure out if they should extend him. No way should Beane sign him long term this off season. They can still franchise him too. Plenty of time to make him truly earn a long term deal.

• Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

So what's the problem with picking up the option this year, and watching his progress. The defense overcomes a host of offensive shortcomings. The way we are holding offenses down make us the formidable team we are.

Nothing,  the organization did the right thing picking up his 5th year. See what you truly have before you put a ring on it. But to call him a freakish athlete is pretty funny. And newsflash,  he's not getting a freakish 2nd contract. 

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

By comparing his value to offensive players your killing your argument, which is mostly your personal dislike for the player.

No, it demonstrates that I feel MLBs aren't as valuable as other said positions. 

Edited by The Jokeman

12 minutes ago, WMDman said:

Klein and Edmunds are 2 completely different players, AJs strength is defending the run while Tre's is defending the pass. one is definitely flashier in the box score but Tremaine is more important to the d imo

Absolutely! 

First off , what a pleasure it is to have Klein as depth. He's more nasty and ferocious than Edmunds.

But it's a passing league and like  you said,  Edmunds is way better in that aspect. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely! 

First off , what a pleasure it is to have Klein as depth. He's more nasty and ferocious than Edmunds.

But it's a passing league and like  you said,  Edmunds is way better in that aspect. 

Well said and all true. Tremaine is probably the best pass coverage mlb to ever play in Buffalo. But he is different from Klein. He does more of the traditional things a mlb is known for. I'm not denying this is a very frustrating scenario for fans. But in the end it will be Sean's call as to Edmunds future?

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well said and all true. Tremaine is probably the best pass coverage mlb to ever play in Buffalo. But he is different from Klein. He does more of the traditional things a mlb is known for. I'm not denying this is a very frustrating scenario for fans. But in the end it will be Sean's call as to Edmunds future?

Ya absolutely.  I think him being a Captain going on 3(?) years now, we're going to extend him but I understand why fans are frustrated as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.