Can someone explain to me why Gabe Davis does not have equal snap count to Diggs?

Ramza86

Sanders sucked out loud yesterday.  He should have laid out for the bomb instead of Fostering it.  He dropped the seam pass when he didn't secure the ball, and he false started when we were trying to come back in the 4th QTR.  He needs to be a LOT better next week.  I agree that Gabe Davis should be seeing much more than 38% of the offensive snaps.  If that comes at Sanders's expense, I'm good with that.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Sanders sucked out loud yesterday.  He should have laid out for the bomb instead of Fostering it.  He dropped the seam pass when he didn't secure the ball, and he false started when we were trying to come back in the 4th QTR.  He needs to be a LOT better next week.  I agree that Gabe Davis should be seeing much more than 38% of the offensive snaps.  If that comes at Sanders's expense, I'm good with that.

Laid out for the bomb… that ball was so far overthrown.  How far you think Sanders can jump?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I had a bad feed, but it looked to me like it was only overthrown 2 yards.  If it was further, OK.

No worries. It was a lot further than 2 yards and was totally uncatchable. And Allen has to get the ball to Sanders a LOT earlier on this play below; it should be hitting him in the hands once he gets past the sticks and is in the middle of the big hole in the zone, not as he is entering the back zone which is occupied by 2 DBs. That's the QB throwing his receiver into a bad play and creating an easy pass defense for the DB. (In the old days, the DB--Pierre--would have completely blown him up.) Josh had to deal with a sieve of an o-line, so I'm sympathetic, but he didn't have a good game either. It'll get better. 

Edited by dave mcbride

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No worries. It was a lot further than 2 yards and was totally uncatchable. And Allen has to get the ball to Sanders a LOT earlier on this play below; it should be hitting him in the hands once he gets past the sticks and is in the middle of the big hole in the zone, not as he is entering the back zone which is occupied by 2 DBs. That's the QB throwing his receiver into a bad play and creating an easy pass defense for the DB. (In the old days, the DB--Pierre--would have completely blown him up.) Josh had to deal with a sieve of an o-line, so I'm sympathetic, but he didn't have a good game either. It'll get better. 

I'll agree that Allen should have delivered the ball sooner, but Sanders has to lock it up.  Reminiscent of Lee Evans in the Ravens game against the Cheats.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I just dont get it. Gabe is about as reliable as you can get on this team.

He should be WR 2 and on the field as long as he can.

Hurts to watch him not in.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47w369cfdoosmakmqivp

Diggs is a 6 year veteran coming off 3 consecutive seasons.

Davis is a promising 2nd year player coming off a rookie season with under 600 receiving yards, 56.5% catch %, and 5% drops.  He blocks well and has made some superior, game-changing sideline catches, but has also dropped balls that hit him in the hands at crucial times (see: Ravens playoff game)  He's got a great attitude by all accounts and will continue to develop, but he's not carrying Diggs shoestrings much less his jock for release and route running savvy and ability to get open or make tough catches in coverage.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Sanders seemed to be getting open quite a bit yesterday. Josh just wasn’t really looking his way much. Putting in Davis does not really solve that problem. 

Sanders had 4 catches on 8 targets.

McDermott specifically mentioned Sanders in his post-game presser, saying positive things about his abilities but also saying that practice time is important so that he can build timing and rappore with Josh (Sanders did not practice much in training camp due to "foot" and was limited all last week with "foot").

I view that as a gentle warning shot across Sanders bow, that if he is dogging practice with the foot that needs to stop.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47w369cfdoosmakmqivp

Diggs is a 6 year veteran coming off 3 consecutive seasons.

Davis is a promising 2nd year player coming off a rookie season with under 600 receiving yards, 56.5% catch %, and 5% drops.  He blocks well and has made some superior, game-changing sideline catches, but has also dropped balls that hit him in the hands at crucial times (see: Ravens playoff game)  He's got a great attitude by all accounts and will continue to develop, but he's not carrying Diggs shoestrings much less his jock for release and route running savvy and ability to get open or make tough catches in coverage.

Sanders had 4 catches on 8 targets.

McDermott specifically mentioned Sanders in his post-game presser, saying positive things about his abilities but also saying that practice time is important so that he can build timing and rappore with Josh (Sanders did not practice much in training camp due to "foot" and was limited all last week with "foot").

I view that as a gentle warning shot across Sanders bow, that if he is dogging practice with the foot that needs to stop.

I did not take it as a dig at Sanders, more of a, "he was hurt at TC, the dude gets open, we are having to force the issue in season because of it" Sanders had a crucial drop on 3rd down. I thought maybe McD could have been covering for him publicly in a "Sanders is super quality, missed some time, he has got to get the reps to get the timing down on a new team". 

5 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Frustrating....3 years later and Josh still hasn't grasped the concept of trajectory on deep balls. Football 1.0

Dude it was overthrown by like 2 yards.. that's like a few steps for pro wide receiver... 10 yard overthrow and it would be a concern

That's timing at the end of the day.. in 1-2 months him and Sanders will be in connection

Aaron Rodgers couldn't throw a deep ball coming out of Cal.. it took him years of sitting on the bench to hone it 

Slowing the play down it was five-six feet away.. that's literally two strides for Emmanuel Sanders... That's chemistry that will get cleaned up in time.. he has very little live action chemistry with him 

If he still missing that in a month... Then maybe there's some concern

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I did not take it as a dig at Sanders, more of a, "he was hurt at TC, the dude gets open, we are having to force the issue in season because of it" Sanders had a crucial drop on 3rd down. I thought maybe McD could have been covering for him publicly in a "Sanders is super quality, missed some time, he has got to get the reps to get the timing down on a new team".

Davis had 2 receptions on 5 targets, and arguably missed a couple catches he could have hauled in.  That's a lower percentage than Sanders 4 of 8.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Sanders is also good, no clue why Allen was so bad yesterday, and I'm thinking he needs to see a sports psychologist about playing in front of crowds.  

Look, I won't completely discard the notion, but there's a lot of factors that are a LOT more likely. 

1. They spent a whole offseason reading their press clippings. Daboll has been touted as the HOTTEST HC candidate for next offseason and it seemed like he was trying to prove it with his gameplan. 

2. Last offseason, we heard about how hard they worked outside of team activities in an offseason where many teams didn't get much work at all. This season, I didn't hear about any of that occurring for the Bills. Long story short, they outworked people last season to have early season success.

3. They barely played in pre-season. That timing/rhythm doesn't necessarily carry over year to year. You have to work. I heard a lot on twitter from the Bills this offseason, but little about how much they were outworking other teams this offseason. 

4. Defenses didn't have time to prepare last year. Defenses usually are ahead of offenses early in the season. They had a season of tape to learn what everyone knew. Blitzing Allen is a way to get beat. Get the pressure you can with 4 and flood the coverage zones. Tackle the Bills receivers immediately and cut down on the YAC. 

5. The Steelers are much better than they are given credit for.. They won 11 games in a row last season. Towards the end of the season they got banged up and Ben slows down later in the year after taking hits, but that defense is a top 5 defense year in / year out and they still needed a blokced kick returned for a touchdown to win. 

6. The offensive line penalties brought plays back that would have sustained drives / had points. No one on the offense looked good, but you can't kill drive after drive with stupidly bad penalties. See #1 with a coordinator who seemed more interested in "his" gameplan working than adjusting to the reality on the field that the players were sucking at what he wanted executed and it's that much harder. 

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Sanders was consistently open yesterday and freed himself for a big TD catch only to see it badly overthrown. Sanders finished top three in the NFL last year in getting separation. He is good.

He also dropped a very important pass that sealed our loss…

4 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I had a bad feed, but it looked to me like it was only overthrown 2 yards.  If it was further, OK.

It was only five feet away  

That's literally 2 strides for a guy like Sanders.. it wasn't that far off

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1