Jim Kelly Was Better Than Brady Imo..

Anybody else ever notice how some of the greatest players to ever play their sports were completely overlooked at some point in there careers…

Jordan, Brady, Favre, even Kelly to a certain extent as his dream school, Penn St, wanted him to play Linebacker, … which by the way I love Jim, but cmon… not even close.

But more importantly, back to my point of the greats being overlooked… that’s pretty much been the story of Josh’s entire football life and career up until he got that mega extension.  I think as great as Jim was, we might be witnessing the beginnings of a very special story just really starting to unfold here in Western NY.

Eventually the conversation will be Brady or Josh?

On 9/5/2021 at 2:28 PM, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Admittedly I'm a huge Bills fan. My happiness is dependent upon them winning or losing a game. I will get that out of the way. And no...Kelly isn't close to Brady's accomplishments. But it's a team game.

But...I have Kelly ahead of him all time. Why? Kelly faced fierce defenders and wasn't bailed out by refs. Kelly was innovative. The K gun offense changed football. And lastly, Kelly didn't cheat. No spygate or deflategate.

I know I am going to be laughed at by some. But are there any of you that put Kelly>Brady all time?

My top 5 QB's ever:

Montana

Manning

Kelly

Elway

Marino

jim was very slightly more athletic than Tom.

tom is a better more accurate passer, better at reading defenses and waaaaaaaaaay better at preparing for the next game. 

No. Jim was good, nobody ever accused him of being the greatest 

• Like (+1) 1

Comparing qbs from different decades is an exercise in futility.

Tom Brady v. Joe Dufek is easy, mind you.

Tom Brady v. Joe Montana isn't.

Joe Montana v. Otto Graham isn't.

The last ten or fifteen years have probably been the easiest time to play qb in the history of the NFL. I'd say it started getting significantly safer when intentional grounding outside the pocket was allowed.

Yes, the athletes on defense are better than ever, but they are on offense as well.

Edited by billsintaiwan

On 9/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, Jpsredemption said:

Brady is the best to ever play the game hands down no debate. Not even close. 

This.  Brady is the best of all time, Kelly isn't even in the top 10.  Just stop with this nonsense.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Any best QB of all time list that has Jim Kelly in the top 10 is inaccurate.

Any best QB of all time list that has Jim Kelly in the top 5 could only be made by a Bills fan.

I agree 100%. Kelly was a great QB for the Bills but he is not in the top 10. Top 15 probably but not top 10. Even though we don't like him Brady is the GOAT.

• Agree 1

On 9/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, Jpsredemption said:

Brady is the best to ever play the game hands down no debate. Not even close. 

Mahomes is better.  You can take Brady's best 3 years and compare them to Mahomes only 3 seasons and Mahomes comes up on top.  He has been to the AFC championship game every year he has been the starter.  Brady is likely the 2nd best QB in my lifetime (I was born in 77).  Kelly was great, but further down the list.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Mahomes is better.  You can take Brady's best 3 years and compare them to Mahomes only 3 seasons and Mahomes comes up on top.  He has been to the AFC championship game every year he has been the starter.  Brady is likely the 2nd best QB in my lifetime (I was born in 77).  Kelly was great, but further down the list.  

Seven Super Bowl championships say otherwise. I doubt we ever see this again. As a Bills fan I don't like the guy obviously but he is the GOAT. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

It's a team sport and Mahomes can't have 7 wins when he has only played 3 seasons.  He's playing at a higher level than Brady in his prime.

Let's hope Allen can play at a higher level than both of them. I would love for Josh to accomplish what Brady has done but I would settle for a career like Ben has had. If Josh can lead to the Bills to 2 Super Bowl championships with more winning seasons than losing ones then I will be very happy.

When this topic comes up the main contention is how do we rank Brady and his accomplishments vs the cheating. If the cheating does not bother you then he is the best ever. If blatant and repeated cheating does bother you then he is not even top 10, I do not see any middle ground here. Few in baseball consider Barry Bonds the greatest of all time because he cheated, despite being an MVP before he ever cheated but for some reason Brady gets a pass from many football fans.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

When this topic comes up the main contention is how do we rank Brady and his accomplishments vs the cheating. If the cheating does not bother you then he is the best ever. If blatant and repeated cheating does bother you then he is not even top 10, I do not see any middle ground here. Few in baseball consider Barry Bonds the greatest of all time because he cheated, despite being an MVP before he ever cheated but for some reason Brady gets a pass from many football fans.

I think the cheating aspect of it will hurt Belichick more so than Brady. Bill's record without Tom isn't that impressive. Brady goes to Tampa and wins another championship without Bill.

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

I think the cheating aspect of it will hurt Belichick more so than Brady. Bill's record without Tom isn't that impressive. Brady goes to Tampa and wins another championship without Bill.

I understand your point but the primary beneficiary of the cheating was Brady, being able to know where the blitz was coming from is a huge advantage. I also doubt he did not know about the spying. But as I said if the fact that his entire early legacy would not exist except for the worst cheating scandal in NFL history does not bother you he has to be #1. 

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

jim was very slightly more athletic than Tom.

tom is a better more accurate passer, better at reading defenses and waaaaaaaaaay better at preparing for the next game. 

No. Jim was good, nobody ever accused him of being the greatest 

I think it's kind of ridiculous to suggest Kelly was more athletic than anyone.

I always used to laugh when the broadcast guys would talk about how he was slated to be a linebacker at PSU.  How was that possible?  He had nothing close to the speed to play LB at that level for a major school power.  No way was that going to happen.

Tom Brady is deceptively athletic, but it doesn't matter.  His skill is that he's CONSISTENT, and bring a mental component to the QB position Kelly couldn't dream of possessing.

The game is about 10 million times more complicated now, compared to Kelly's era.