Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

There are plenty of surprises on ***** rosters. Ours is pretty loaded and set so less drama. 

I have to agree there.  Now, I realize many on here spend lots of time in arm-chair player evaluation, but even in the lean years I remember looking at the final cuts and mostly saying "Who's that?".  With that said, I am always happy for these young guys who will grow up one day and tell their kids and grandkids that they 'played' for the Buffalo Bills, if even for a few weeks. It has to be super cool experience! 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 3

Why people keep saying that cuts are brutal? I know that we have overall strong roster but its not like we are cutting starters or something. They are imo 2-3 really tough decisions and one of them was already made yesterday. What is so tough now? Maybe one DL cut, one WR cut and Taiwan Jones situation?

Almost everybody who we cut today will either be out of NFL or on our practise squad.

I do get that all cuts are tough from the human point of view obviously, but that is another discussion.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Why people keep saying that cuts are brutal? I know that we have overall strong roster but its not like we are cutting starters or something. They are imo 2-3 really tough decisions and one of them was already made yesterday. What is so tough now? Maybe one DL cut, one WR cut and Taiwan Jones situation?

Almost everybody who we cut today will either be out of NFL or on our practise squad.

I do get that all cuts are tough from the human point of view obviously, but that is another discussion.

Oo me me!  Please bet me all the money that all of the players we cut will be out of the nfl or on our practice squad 

5 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

outside of maybe 5-7 guys. I mean right now Nate Becker was the “hardest” decision so far so far from brutal. I’d be interested if Becker wants to go back to the PS because he’s been on it the last couple of years already or if he seeks another opportunity 

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Depending on health and possible IRs I have it down to Taiwan Jones (though I am very sure he is in), Jake Kumerow, Marquez Stevenson, Tommy Sweeney, Vernon Butler, Tyrel Dodson, Cam Lewis, Damar Hamlin Josh Thomas and maybe Tommy Doyle as the final 10 fighting over five spots. So it is just the final 5 cuts that are hard. 

3 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Oo me me!  Please bet me all the money that all of the players we cut will be out of the nfl or on our practice squad 

Huh? I didn't say all, I said almost all. And my point was that despite overall strenght of our roster, we are still releasing fringe players, not starters. It might be tougher to release Hodgins or Kumerow than Steven Sims or Duke Williams, but the difference is not huge.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

There are plenty of surprises on ***** rosters. Ours is pretty loaded and set so less drama. 

Everything changes when your roster is deep.   In the drought, guys on the PS simply weren't ready for the NFL.   All you could do was hope they kept developing on the PS, and maybe one day they'd contribute.   When one got called up, you were getting just a body to fill out the roster.

Now, there will be at least a few players on the practice who are legitimately good enough to be on the 53, but there just isn't enough room.   When they get called up, there will be legitimate reason to expect them to perform.  

Something we're not used to.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Depending on health and possible IRs I have it down to Taiwan Jones (though I am very sure he is in), Jake Kumerow, Marquez Stevenson, Tommy Sweeney, Vernon Butler, Tyrel Dodson, Cam Lewis, Damar Hamlin Josh Thomas and maybe Tommy Doyle as the final 10 fighting over five spots. So it is just the final 5 cuts that are hard. 

Yeah I am not saying that there are not tough decisions, just that people are overreacting a little bit :)

I think you said Jones is almost a lock and Hamlin>Thomas so its more like 7 people for 3 spots.

If I had to guess I'd say Butler is gone (if Phillips looks good injury wise), Sweeney will be cut and put on PS (with very low risk). Doyle is very tricky and WR decision will be most interesting one. I do agree that Stevenson needs to be on 53 otherwise we lose him. Dodson will be also stolen if he doesn't make it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Process said:

This has to be it. 

sounds about right maybe Isaiah Hodgins or Sweeney they are trying to keep, idk of another guy that could go on long term IR unless it’s Stevenson or Doyle but both played last week 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Ya this is a surprise.  TE roster looks thin. Are they planning to bring one in?

By thin we’re talking Knox, Sweeney, and Gilliam

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Process said:

This has to be it. 

Question though, why not just put the other player on IR now and avoid having to release and resign Hollister? Something to do with the ability for a player to return from IR based on timing?