Kelly’s heroes/Allen’s heroes

Okay, first off, give a 👍🏻 if you had this poster. Yup, I had it.

I can’t take credit for the idea but when I saw this image it asked who Allen’s heroes would be this year.

So, Bills Mafia, let’s hear from you. Who will Allen’s heroes be this year?

Here are mine:

Stefon Diggs

Cole Beasley

Dion Dawkins

Tre White

F0CF31D2-A984-4470-B46E-79C5C4FAB53A.jpeg

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Mr. White

Mr. Milano

Mr. Diggs

Mr. Dawkins

This made me think the better poster to copy might be this - esp with the way "dogs" has been thrown around by the players this TC...

Classic-Movie-Reservoir-Dogs-Vintage-Pos

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It wouldn't be Allen's Heroes.  Kelly's Heroes made sense because of the movie with the same title. 

If they want to follow in Kelly's footsteps, it needs to be Allen's Army.    

Nice!

Who’s your four in Allen’s Army for 2021?

Edited by BillsFan619

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Uh-oh! Did this just turn into an Ertz thread?

Some are like kleptomaniacs who cannot control adding it to threads; for some it borders on mental illness.

The MODs need a strong crew carrying white jackets with long sleeves to help them out.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Nice!

Who’s your four in Allen’s Army for 2021?

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

All the starters, no need to have just 4.  

Except the whole premise of the thread, I suppose...

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, MJS said:

Except the whole premise of the thread, I suppose...

I still say all the starters.  Nowhere in the OP did he say that there has to be a limit of 4.  Just because he had 4 the others listed 4, doesn't mean there's a limit.  I believe in thinking outside the box & I'm going 21 others in the box.

• Dislike 1

14 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Not detracting from the JA#17 angle, but I am wondering what a 'Wilson's Heroes' would be. 🤔

image.jpeg.60139776b4a33a885a54216f374262bd.jpeg
image.gif.a84d0a6cda18f2841b5df494b1fa8554.gif

Man, seeing what Beane has done really shows how bad Brandon was. I mean, people knew it was bad but probably didn’t know how bad it was until we got someone amazing like Beane.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Man, seeing what Beane has done really shows how bad Brandon was. I mean, people knew it was bad but probably didn’t know how bad it was until we got someone amazing like Beane.

It was not one person who was bad.   Many of the stuff blamed on Brandon were front office decisions made by people with organization a long time.  

Brandon handled marketing mostly and that he did well for a while.

The issue was missing a coordinated plan.  GM and scouts and front office staff and coaches and training staff.

The coaches and GM would sign a player but those responsible for contracts did not ensure clauses were in contract were there to protect Bills interest.

GM would sign veteran players who coaches did not seem to be able to use and players seemed to be only interested in money.

Coaches would sign assistant coaches which would not always follow head coach's plans.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

He was Ralph’s version of the character “Wormtounge” from the Tolkien trilogy…, he was a man of no vision, 

I’m liking the Dirty Dozen more than Kelly’s Heroes.

Allen

Diggs

Bease

Dawkins (muscle)

Mongo (ugly, just punch the horse)

Milano

Groot

Tre

Mr. Hyde

Dr. Jekyl (Poyer)

Davis

and finally

the Gadget Man, McKenzie 

Dirty Group!  

The Colonel is of course McD.  Lee Marvin was a bad ars.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

Can we at least get something more culturally relevant to JA17? The movie literally 50 years old. At the time the Jim Kelly poster was put out, it was nearly 20 years old. And the poster was done 30 years ago. 

(What a very Buffalo thing to do. “Hey we did a thing over a generation ago. Let’s do it again but with the new guy”)

Ideas that are also 20 years old but way more relevant:

Its Always Sunny in Buffalo

Josh Meets World

Saved by the Josh Allen

Josh Allen: End Game (not 20 years old) 

Wet Hot Josh Allen Summer

Josh Allen Dogs

Saving Private Allen

Master and Commander (that one works on its own)

Men Who Stare at GOATs

Edited by Mango
Grammar

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Can we at least get something more culturally relevant to JA17? The movie literally 50 years old. At the time the Jim Kelly poster was put out, it was nearly 20 years old. And it was done 30 years ago. 

(What a very Buffalo thing to do. “Hey we did a thing over a generation ago. Let’s do it again but with the new guy”)

Josh Meets World

Saved by the Josh Allen

Josh Allen Dogs

Saving Private Allen

Master and Commander (that one worst on its life own)

Men Who Stare at GOATs

We’ll, hopefully it’s “Josh Allen: End Game” then.

While the sacrifice and loss will be high, it will mean we win in the end. Which means we’ll be SB champs.

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It was not one person who was bad.   Many of the stuff blamed on Brandon were front office decisions made by people with organization a long time.  

The issue was missing a coordinated plan.  GM and scouts and front office staff and coaches and training staff.

The coaches and GM would sign a player but those responsible for contracts did not ensure clauses were in contract were there to protect Bills interest.

GM would sign veteran players who coaches did not seem to be able to use and players seemed to be only interested in money.

Coaches would sign assistant coaches which would not always follow head coach's plans.

One of the biggest problems was the constant turnover of GMs, scouts, coaching staffs & schemes. 

Best examples: Rex Ryan comes in & changes the D, so the Bills draft guys to fit his scheme.  Ryan is replaced & some of the guys that fit his scheme are worthless to McDermott.  Reggie Ragland was drafted for a Ryan D and was totally out of place in McDermott' s D.  So the guy they traded up for 1 year earlier in the 2nd round is dumped for 4th round pick 2 years down the line.  Then going back a few years Chan Gailey comes in & along with Buddy Nix decides that they don't like Marshawn Lynch so they draft Spiller in the 1st round & totally devalue Lynch's trade value.  They got a 2011 4th  (Chris Hairston) & a 2012 5th (Tank Carder who they cut as a rookie). 

There was also stuff like drafting CBs in the 1st & letting them get away & then having to play whack a mole using more 1st round picks on CBs.  Remember Winfield, Clements, Gilmore were all 1st rounders who were drafted with the idea that the team's best corner would be leaving in a year or 2.  Even Tre White was drafted to replace Gilmore.  

In the days of a new head coach every 2 to 3 years, the team had no chance to have any stability.  

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

One of the biggest problems was the constant turnover of GMs, scouts, coaching staffs & schemes. 

Best examples: Rex Ryan comes in & changes the D, so the Bills draft guys to fit his scheme.  Ryan is replaced & some of the guys that fit his scheme are worthless to McDermott.  Reggie Ragland was drafted for a Ryan D and was totally out of place in McDermott' s D.  So the guy they traded up for 1 year earlier in the 2nd round is dumped for 4th round pick 2 years down the line.  Then going back a few years Chan Gailey comes in & along with Buddy Nix decides that they don't like Marshawn Lynch so they draft Spiller in the 1st round & totally devalue Lynch's trade value.  They got a 2011 4th  (Chris Hairston) & a 2012 5th (Tank Carder who they cut as a rookie). 

There was also stuff like drafting CBs in the 1st & letting them get away & then having to play whack a mole using more 1st round picks on CBs.  Remember Winfield, Clements, Gilmore were all 1st rounders who were drafted with the idea that the team's best corner would be leaving in a year or 2.  Even Tre White was drafted to replace Gilmore.  

In the days of a new head coach every 2 to 3 years, the team had no chance to have any stability.  

Good thoughts!

Consistency was definitely part of the problem because you had to get new players for new schemes. That’s part of the reason it was so hard to get out of mediocrity, it became self perpetuating.

At certain times, one of the reasons I hoped they’d give a coach a longer chance was simply so they wouldn’t have to start over and continue to replace good players and waste draft picks. One of my thought processes would be, “what if this coach just needs more time?“

I think that McD going to the playoffs his first year really helped buy him some time to turn this thing around even though we didn’t go anywhere that first playoff year. Think about it, people would’ve already been calling for his head in year three because he hadn’t been to the playoffs yet. “Here we go again, just another coach that can’t take this team places.”

Thankfully, that era is over. Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619

3 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Good thoughts!

Consistency was definitely part of the problem because you had to get new players for new schemes. That’s part of the reason it was so hard to get out of mediocrity, it became self perpetuating.

At certain times, one of the reasons I hoped they’d give a coach a longer chance was simply so they wouldn’t have to start over and continue to replace good players and waste draft picks.

Thankfully, that era is over. Go Bills!

Not only did we have some of the worst coaches who had to be fired, but then the only 2 who had winning seasons during the drought both quit.  Here's some of the greatest hits:

Gregg Williams or one of his staff accepts a penalty that guarantees a loss against Houston while London Fletcher is waiving his hands wildly on the field to decline the penalty because London realizes the extra down means Houston can run out the clock.  I left the stadium saying if I owned the team Gregg would have been fired on the spot.  

Dick Jauron gets hired after being interim coach in Detroit in spite of the fact the Lions didn't think he was good enough to hire as coach the next season and let him go.  After a few mediocre years he finally gets fired-after his extension.  

I'll never understand the love around here for Chan Gailey.  He was hired after being fired by KC as their OC in preseason the prior season but since nobody wanted to coach the Bills he ended up here.  Then he wins 33% of his games & some people think he's the greatest coach of the drought years.  The time he punted from the opponent's 34 yardline because he was afraid to try a 51 yard field goal was the end for me.

Finally, the biggest blowhard to create a windstorm in Buffalo-Rex Ryan.  His tenure was a total clown show made even worse when he hired his brother in an attempted remake of Dumb & Dumber.   

On 8/20/2021 at 9:02 AM, Limeaid said:

Also  McD and Beane had their own growing pains....

Gilmore was let go for free...The Bills should have tagged him and traded away for picks. 

They got in receivers who couldn't play...  Kelvin Benjamin

They went into the 2018 season without a veteran QB, with poor judgement on Peterson's capability;  literally ruined Allen's career.

Their DL top draft picks are yet to pan out.   Ed Oliver and Epenesa has to succeed this season for better draft success.

They still don't have answer at the TE position.   

What they have done well:

* Change the culture

*  Bring Stability and Continuity...  Same coaching staff and front office people....

*  Obviously Draft our Franchise....

*  Bring in a good set of Veteran WRs that have provided targets for JA.

*  Keep the defense intact in the secondary. 

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Also  McD and Beane had their own growing pains....

Gilmore was let go for free...The Bills should have tagged him and traded away for picks. 

They got in receivers who couldn't play...  Kelvin Benjamin

They went into the 2018 season without a veteran QB, with poor judgement on Peterson's capability;  literally ruined Allen's career.

Their DL top draft picks are yet to pan out.   Ed Oliver and Epenesa has to succeed this season for better draft success.

They still don't have answer at the TE position.   

What they have done well:

* Change the culture

*  Bring Stability and Continuity...  Same coaching staff and front office people....

*  Obviously Draft our Franchise....

*  Bring in a good set of Veteran WRs that have provided targets for JA.

*  Keep the defense intact in the secondary. 

What do you mean when you say they ruined Allen’s career? Or, did you mean to say they could’ve ruined Allen’s career with the mistakes they made? 

Allen’s career is going very well and McD/Beane have a lot to do with that.

On 8/20/2021 at 10:59 AM, Mango said:

Can we at least get something more culturally relevant to JA17? The movie literally 50 years old. At the time the Jim Kelly poster was put out, it was nearly 20 years old. And it was done 30 years ago. 

Josh Meets World

Saved by the Josh Allen

Josh Allen Dogs

Saving Private Allen

Men Who Stare at GOATs

Did you intentionally include a bunch of things from before he was born/ a baby?

On 8/20/2021 at 11:59 AM, Mango said:

Josh Meets World

Saved by the Josh Allen

Josh Allen Dogs

Saving Private Allen

Men Who Stare at GOATs

Alright Mango, I can live with that request as you’re a friend.  This Allen’s Heroes is not even relevant as Kelly’s Heroes was based on the name of the movie synonymous with Kelly’s real name so I’m a little Captain Obvious on this one.

How about Allen Powers in Goldmember?  

Dr. Evil is McD

Mini Me is Beasely

and so on..

Yeah baby Yeah!  Shagadelic.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

What do you mean when you say they ruined Allen’s career? Or, did you mean to say they could’ve ruined Allen’s career with the mistakes they made? 

Allen’s career is going very well and McD/Beane have a lot to do with that.

>.   literally  almost ruined Allen's career.

28 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Did you intentionally include a bunch of things from before he was born/ a baby?

Ah, I just sort of thought “mid-90’s” and rolled with it. I think there are only two that are pre Josh Allen birth. Reservoir Dogs and Saved by the Bell.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

Ah, I just sort of thought “mid-90’s” and rolled with it. I think there are only two that are pre Josh Allen birth. Reservoir Dogs and Saved by the Bell.

I mean other than Always Sunny he wasn't older than 10 for any of them.

21 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean other than Always Sunny he wasn't older than 10 for any of them.

Right, that’s literally the point. ,

Jim Kelly was 10 when Kelly’s Hero’s came out. And was in his mid 20’s when the reference was made. Now we are using the the same Kelly’s heroes for a guy who was negative 25 years old and doesn’t even share a name sake. 

So I made a joke about changing mid-90’s to early 2000’s pop culture references. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Right, that’s literally the point. ,

Jim Kelly was 10 when Kelly’s Hero’s came out. And was in his mid 20’s when the reference was made. Now we are using the the same Kelly’s heroes for a guy who was negative 25 years old and doesn’t even share a name sake. 

So I made a joke about changing mid-90’s to early 2000’s pop culture references. 

Okay that makes more sense....maybe the original X-men movies.