2021 Expectations for the Front 7

Mango

Thinking about this today. The Bills defense was relatively mediocre last season as a whole. Given the continued investment in this years and past years drafts, what are the expectations for the front 7 this season? Is there a line for pass/fail based on draft and salary cost? 

We have invested: 

3x 1st round picks in Edmunds, Oliver, Groot. 

2x 2nd round picks in Basham and Epenesa

A major extension to Milano. 

3rd highest paid DL in the league for 2021 (source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/breakdown/)

• Agree 1

Top 5 D overall, by whatever metric you want to use.

Top 10 in sacks.

I expect them to bend a bit in the run game and that's fine. It's kind of part of their philosophy. And with Star back, they have some philosophical wiggle room there, if you know what I mean.

But I definitely expect them to break the quarterback.

I also expect the backend to cash in. I want to see Edmunds post his best INT count. Tre and the safeties too.

• Like (+1) 1

The only number I really care for is a top 10 defense. I hope for an improved pass rush, but not if we can never stop the run. Hate to see a great pass rush and focus on stopping the run and then have the back end not play well. Just need solid production from all levels and to be consistent, the offense should do the rest. 

15 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Bills expect a lot from their front four, given their low blitz rate.

Doubt they change that, but front 'D' play should be improved.

You got to be able to win without the Blitz or else really good teams/QBs will make you pay.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Thinking about this today. The Bills defense was relatively mediocre last season as a whole. Given the continued investment in this years and past years drafts, what are the expectations for the front 7 this season? Is there a line for pass/fail based on draft and salary cost? 

We have invested: 

3x 1st round picks in Edmunds, Oliver, Groot. 

2x 2nd round picks in Basham and Epenesa

A major extension to Milano. 

3rd highest paid DL in the league for 2021 (source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/breakdown/)

I will admit, I personally have high expectations for not only the front 7 but also the defense as a whole this year.  If our front 7 plays up to its potential, the combination of its depth, youth, veteran experience and a talented secondary gives us the potential to be special on defense this season.

I am expecting a big season from Edmunds, especially having size upfront again and him being healthy.  I think Oliver has his best season yet, and I expect a breakout season from AJE as well.  

We may not have a league leading type sack player this year, but I think that will be more about being so deep and rotating players a lot.  But I do think we can be one of the leaders in sacks as a team this season.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WMDman said:

top 7ish in sacks is my hope and expectation 

If we can get to 45+ sacks that would be a good improvement IMO 

2 hours ago, papazoid said:

mediocre.....i'd say smack dab in the midlle....around #15th

Go back to New England **************************

Edited by Putin

I'm hopeful for a top 5 defense this year.  But it all depends on how well our youth does. As they go, our entire defense goes. Last year, our defense was broken because we had to blitz more than almost every other team.   Our defense is designed to NOT blitz and must generate pressure from front 4.  That's fundamentally why our whole defense struggled so much despite a fantastic secondary.   We have a lot of promising young players.  If they pan out, our defense will be very, very good.

Hopefully they are an all around improved unit this year. Particularly with stopping the run and improved tackling. Honestly, I’ll be surprised if our pass rush improves this year. I’m not counting on the two rookies or AJ to have an immediate impact. If having Star back helps then we really need Oliver and Edmunds to be disrupters and impact players on D. Otherwise I expect our D to be like last year. Overall, I hope we stay healthy. 

My general thought is, the defense will live and die by the front 7. (Crazy I know) But we have depth issues at DB and have invested a poop ton into DL and LB. the secondary depth will continue to get worked if we don’t start hitting on those draft picks and FA$$$ in a very big way very soon.