1st official depth chart has been released

HappyDays

21 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Okay, I’m literally in tears right now. Why is my boy Boogie buried under the depth chart? 😰

Rousseau and AJE have by most accounts looked better in camp and there is just a logjam at the position. I wouldn't be too worried yet. He will be on the team. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Feel like there isn’t much that separates any of the Guards as you go down the depth chart. It’s good in that you have quality depth, it’s bad in that none are real stand out starters. 

Outside of LT, I can’t really think of too many positions along the OL that are worth paying top dollar to. Sure, $12-$14M to a guy like Dion Dawkins is just fine, but would I pay a RT $19M? Heck no. Or a OG $14M-$15M? Heck no. I think a case can be made for center, though.

Give me a good OL, not an elite one. Good lines will give your QB plenty of time to throw. You need an elite line to ground and pound, which is so unbelievably outdated at this point. A great LT and a great OC is basically where your big money on the OL needs to go. Solid, meat and potato players are fine everywhere else. I think Daryl Williams and Spencer Brown kind of fall into that category. I’m not talking about sucky players like Mike Williams or Langston Walker.

Ideally you would like to spend money, big money anyways, on QB, LT, WR, C, TE, DE, CB, S and MLB. If you have star players at these positions and solid players to patch in the holes everywhere else, your roster is in prime position to kick some ass.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Traded before cut though right? He’s on a contract year too isn’t he? Wonder if being able to net a comp pick if they don’t resign him next offseason plays into any calculations. 

also, something about growth/improvement curves and how they know what their long term needs against expected skill growth and salary requirements. I am a big Phillips fan in terms of play style and think he is a super valuable chip, whose going to be playing his 2nd season after an acl tear, and you stuck with him through his down post surgery season. 

I have a feeling someone will get traded in the next couple of weeks

1 hour ago, Bills92 said:

Where is Ertz?

On Eagles.  Maybe you should post there?

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

Does is mean anything that Kumerow is 2nd behind Diggs, and Wildgoose is 2nd behind Tre? Does that mean Kumerow is ahead of Davis, and the Goose is a ahead of Dane? Or not really?

Not really.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Main takeaways - Phillips is in trouble and they want to stash Stevenson on the PS.

Yeah I agree. I had high hopes for H. Phillips. Probably because he resembled Kyle Williams a little bit and was hoping he was the perfect replacement. Unfortunately it's been a little disappointing. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

We play in 46 front situationally, but only a small fraction of the time. The Bills played 90% of their snaps in nickel last season to lead the league. I think they will experiment with other fronts to make use of our abundance of pass rushers, but 3 cb's is the new normal.

I hope they go with a 5-2-2-2 defense.  It puts our best starters in there and pressure on OL since each needs to block one on one.

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I hope they go with a 5-2-2-2 defense.  It puts our best starters in there and pressure on OL since each needs to block one on one.

The one thing we lack is a hybrid lb like Lorax who can cover and rush the passer. We sometimes blitz lbs up the middle, but we don't have anyone who can beat blocks 1-on-one with linemen. There needs to be the threat of the edge rushers dropping into coverage or else the offense will just get the ball out quick and dink-and-dunk us to death.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

We play in 46 front situationally, but only a small fraction of the time. The Bills played 90% of their snaps in nickel last season to lead the league. I think they will experiment with other fronts to make use of our abundance of pass rushers, but 3 cb's is the new normal.

I'd like to see the still frame of the bills in an actual 46 setup

Not a hybrid

When have our strong side and weak sideline backers ever lined up next to each other on the strong side of the formation, with a Mike and SS playing another LB spot?  

This is a traditional 46

image.thumb.png.224ea6bf40086e99e28fa2a56813ebbe.png

7 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

If I had to peg them, they’re more of a 4-2-5

That's a nickel defense for a 43 team .. which is basically 65% of our packages

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I have a feeling someone will get traded in the next couple of weeks

I think it’s likely someone at the top of that first depth chart. Trying to trade a starter gives you a better initial position in negotiations. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

The one thing we lack is a hybrid lb like Lorax who can cover and rush the passer. We sometimes blitz lbs up the middle, but we don't have anyone who can beat blocks 1-on-one with linemen. There needs to be the threat of the edge rushers dropping into coverage or else the offense will just get the ball out quick and dink-and-dunk us to death.

Last year we had LBs and DBs beat linemen one on one.  There was a DB PUSHING the lineman into backfield and you could see in his face WTF?

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rousseau and AJE have by most accounts looked better in camp and there is just a logjam at the position. I wouldn't be too worried yet. He will be on the team. 

I believe it’s more McDermott’s MO: push the rookies down and make them earn it. He’s done it since he’s been here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

So we are officially a 46 defense. 

No, we are a base nickel defense. Like we were last year and the year before. And like most other teams are around the NFL now.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t disagree....although I don’t think you are giving Williams enough credit. Thought he was excellent last season..... not extremely confident in either Guard position though. Feliciano is overrated here and got tossed around in the championship game, maybe a full offseason to rehab his pec makes a difference. Ford has been disappointing. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if he develops into a quality starter. I actually think Ike is the better player.....either way, hopefully two guys step up and solidifies the unit inside. 

Feliciano? Was it his pec? Or was it his shoulder? I don’t remember. I will say this, I am excited to see him at LG and Ford at RG. This makes sense to me.

Anyways, as far as Williams goes.. I don’t see him as an elite player but I’d put RT only behind LT and OC as far as importance goes on the OL. He’s making what? $8M-$10M a year? That’s great value, I can’t complain.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

His pec.....either way just put the best 5 out there. I don’t think Ford is part of that group but we will find out.

Oh, that’s right… his pec. Was it Ford who had the shoulder issues?

Anyways, I’m right with you on Ford. I think he’s average at best, but he’s their golden boy, they traded up to get him so they’re reluctant to admit that he sucks.

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Oh, that’s right… his pec. Was it Ford who had the shoulder issues?

Anyways, I’m right with you on Ford. I think he’s average at best, but he’s their golden boy, they traded up to get him so they’re reluctant to admit that he sucks.

It may be a combination of reluctance and trust in their draft process. Look at Wyatt Teller. Not totally comparable, since he was a 5th rounder, but hindsight makes you think they should've gave him more chances.

I can't blame them for giving their draft picks every chance in the world unless there is a huge red flag.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

-Dodson is listed as Edmunds's backup at MLB. His roster spot looks more secure than I might have thought.

I thought he pretty much totally sucked when he played for Edmunds last Fall.

But playing next to AJ Klein at OLB may not have helped his cause, especially since at that point they hadn't figured out how to compensate for the fact that Klein simply can't do what Milano does.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They obviously really want Ford to take a Guard position and run with it…. Don’t even see Lamp listed?

Lamp is listed as 3rd string behind Ford and Boettger.

1 hour ago, akcash said:

I think it speaks to more how they value Butler more than the Zimmer love. Phillip's and Butler make it imo. Zimmer cut. It just shows up that way because there happens to be 1 less true 3tech than 1 techs.

I think you have it backwards.  Butler, if anything, is more of a true 3TDT who got pressed into service playing 1TDT and first sucked, then became kind of servicable in small doses.

Lotulelei and Phillips are the only true 1TDTs on the roster as far as I know, so putting Phillips behind Butler seems rather making a statement.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Main takeaways - Phillips is in trouble and they want to stash Stevenson on the PS.

Butler hasn’t really done anything either since he’s been with the team so I don’t think he’s that far ahead of Phillips. One good preseason game and those two can easily flip.

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Efe Obada is 3rd on the chart and Daryl Johnson is 4th! :o

DE is going to be really tough unless they keep 7 of them. It seems hard to believe that they would cut a core ST player for a 3rd string DE who might play a couple of downs a game.

Edited by vincec