How much to play Allen and the starters in the preseason?

I’d prefer no entrenched starters -maybe those fighting for spots would be ok - at all against Detroit on Fri night  if possible. I would play all the rookies because they need as many “game” reps as possible. And if any rookies were to get injured, it’s not catastrophic given where they fit into this roster. Kind of how the Steelers approached their first game. 

Then against the Bears, I would give Allen a series or two, and maybe a qtr vs the packers. Then he gets a road and home experience before the season, he gets a warm up before the season and plus the last preseason game is still like 2 weeks before week 1. As far as the rest of the starters I think it depends on how well they are practicing and how much work they need but I’m in favor of as little as possible. 

I would like to see a ton of Fromm/Webb at QB and a lot of the rookies throughout 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’d prefer no entrenched starters -maybe those fighting for spots would be ok - at all against Detroit on Fri night  if possible. I would play all the rookies because they need as many “game” reps as possible. And if any rookies were to get injured, it’s not catastrophic given where they fit into this roster. Kind of how the Steelers approached their first game. 

Then against the Bears, I would give Allen a series or two, and maybe a qtr vs the packers. Then he gets a road and home experience before the season, he gets a warm up before the season and plus the last preseason game is still like 2 weeks before week 1. As far as the rest of the starters I think it depends on how well they are practicing and how much work they need but I’m in favor of as little as possible. 

I would like to see a ton of Fromm/Webb at QB and a lot of the rookies throughout 

I’d like to see a lot of Trubisky. A good looking Mitch can only boost his trade value for a team in need of a QB. I’m not looking to trade Mitch early, but later on he could get the Bills a pick in future drafts

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

None. I’ve invited Josh and Steph over to watch the games with me.

We’ll be analyzing every play to death, just like always, while swillin’ Labbatts ‘n scarfin’ wings & pizza. Prolly toss the ball around a little too - just to be sure they’re ready for the Steelers..

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’d like to see a lot of Trubisky. A good looking Mitch can only boost his trade value for a team in need of a QB. I’m not looking to trade Mitch early, but later on he could get the Bills a pick in future drafts

I’m interested in trading the other two but not Mitch. I actually prefer Mitch not play all that much. An injury to him would be no bueno 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Out of curiosity why would you do a quarter in the 2nd game instead of the third?

Legacy thinking.  When we had 4 games, they played a half in the second to last preseason game.  I don’t want them to play that much, but it would now be game 3.  

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m interested in trading the other two but not Mitch. I actually prefer Mitch not play all that much. An injury to him would be no bueno 

I’d not looking to trade Mitch, but it the Colts or Cowboys came knocking, I would listen 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I want Allen and the first team offense to play the entire preseason and destroy the opposing team's third stringers.

Same, I also want them to play none at all so they don't get hurt but damn I wants some more of that high flying 2020 Bills football.

• Like (+1) 1

I would avoid the key guys all preseason. Maybe, maybe one quarter for the starters in game 3, the rest is purely the backups. 
Allen probably shouldn’t see the field at all since we got Mitch, Fromm and Webb right? Their timing sounds like it’s all good already I don’t see the advantage risking Allen or Diggs in meaningless games 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I don't think the preseason work is going to overcome 4 years of tape.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Legacy thinking.  When we had 4 games, they played a half in the second to last preseason game.  I don’t want them to play that much, but it would now be game 3.  

I’d not looking to trade Mitch, but it the Colts or Cowboys came knocking, I would listen 

Game 3, even though it’s the last one, is still a full 15 days before week 1 so seems like the right timing …. Game 4 used to be like 10 days prior or something. I would just skip game 1 for most starters, a couple series game 2, a quarter game 3 and then it’s go time 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1