Jump to content

Bills back to SJF for training camp? (Update: Not this year)


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

It’s my opinion that the Bills brass probably  preferred the way TC went last year, at the facility, with limited media access. Not sure if media access will be lifted this year but overall I wonder if they do want to return to SJF. Is there still a contract in place? 
 

 

Edited by YoloinOhio
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think McD and Beanes long term plan was to leave SJF behind. They have a multi million dollar training facility. They want to use it during camp. And it’s just the way things are trending.

Keep it at the stadium and keep fans and media away. 

They put some serious cash into the gym and recovery facilities.  They have a full indoor practice facility, outdoor facility, and there's a grass field as well.  Better film study rooms.  Already hav

Posted Images

I hope so, it opens up camp to more fans from the East. I used to leave work a little early and head over 1.5 drive on occasion. One of the few good things that Russ Brandon instituted.

  • Like (+1) 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully.  I missed it not being held last year.  I try to go every year if I can. 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Keep it at the stadium and keep fans and media away. 

If they do keep it at the facility, not sure it would prohibit them from media and fans. That was more Covid protocol than anything. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's great at SJF.  Although the overall quality took a dive after Wegmans bailed out.  I wonder how that happened?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope they do. I was born, and raised in Rochester, and I've never been to one of the Bills training camps. I've lived in Los Angeles since '91, but I'm itching to get back there for a visit (many family members still living there), and would definitely time it to see one at SJF. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s my opinion that the Bills brass probably  preferred the way TC went last year, at the facility, with limited media access. Not sure if media access will be lifted this year but overall I wonder if they do want to return to SJF. Is there still a contract in place? 
 

 

 

I would think it would depend upon how many guys actually get vaccinated - if they're at a point where they still need social distancing in meetings and the like, that would be pretty tough to achieve in dorm rooms and shared showers.  It was probably tough enough on the support staff to enable all of that (set up for meetings in the field house, then take it down for indoor practice) on their own turf.

 

10 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I really hope they do. I was born, and raised in Rochester, and I've never been to one of the Bills training camps. I've lived in Los Angeles since '91, but I'm itching to get back there for a visit (many family members still living there), and would definitely time it to see one at SJF. 

 

I had been hoping to attend training camp at SJF last year because my kid is in college in NYS.  I could visit and attend training camp was the plan.  So much for that.

 

Maybe if they stay in Orchard Park they would have some practices open to the public.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think McD and Beanes long term plan was to leave SJF behind. They have a multi million dollar training facility. They want to use it during camp. And it’s just the way things are trending.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had been hoping to attend training camp at SJF last year because my kid is in college in NYS.  I could visit and attend training camp was the plan.  So much for that.

 

Maybe if they stay in Orchard Park they would have some practices open to the public.

SJF is such a beautiful campus, in a beautiful area of the city. I actually spent my first semester of college at Nazareth College, a nearby sister college to SJF.

 

But, if they end up staying in Orchard Park, it's what-- an hour drive? That's nothing by Los Angeles standards. That's my morning commute on jobs that take me over the 405 pass. 

 

But, yeah, SJF would be ideal.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they do go back to SJF. I hope for the players sake and the fans sake.

Players perspective it has to be a cool if not awkward set up having to go to dorms. I'm guessing though that it really bonds these guys together. 

Fans perspective is a unique environment and experience. That said, I totally understand the team doing camp at home in OP. Facilities alone is good enough reason to  stay home.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I recall hearing this coming year was the last year of the contract they had with SJF.  Seems the trend these days is to have camp at "home" where as 20 years ago was different and having a facility like SJF made the Bills unique in a good way!  Can recall the first years seeing TD and RW whizzing around together on a golf cart.

 

Oh...... and Williams blasting his fog horn alarm!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think I recall hearing this coming year was the last year of the contract they had with SJF.  Seems the trend these days is to have camp at "home" where as 20 years ago was different and having a facility like SJF made the Bills unique in a good way!  Can recall the first years seeing TD and RW whizzing around together on a golf cart.

 

Oh...... and Williams blasting his fog horn alarm!

 

It was an effort to reach out to more of NYS by moving TC more East.  Plus Brandon went to school there.  He's gone but Kim grew up in Fairport so I can still see it remaining. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Keep it at the stadium and keep fans and media away. 

I think training is really cool for kids. I remember going twice as a kid, and it was thrilling to see players up close. The opportunity to get autographs was also a big draw. I no longer care about attending training camp. It doesn’t do much for me as an adult. I’d rather use my time and money to attend a game. Nothing against those who enjoy training camp, but I wouldn’t miss it. NFL players/teams aren’t exactly the hardest practicing bunch, and not much that holds any intrigue happens in front of fans. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would expect them to go if possible.

 

While there are lots of pros and cons for both ways, I think the bottom line, especially for this coming season, will be how important it will be to re-engage with the fans.

 

Because of that, I also think the players themselves will be happy to go there this year.

 

Iirc, McBeane have already reduced some, the time they are there, yet were still quite liking the team building aspect of it. I think they would still seriously consider doing it in the future, as it can be an important part of the team culture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I doubt it. As a Rochesterian, I love having them here. But the writing was already kind of on the wall that they were basically riding out the contract and that they preferred their new fancy digs they had built in Buffalo. So why would they go out of their way to come up with a plan and expose themselves to unnecessary risk when it's not required and they probably don't even want to in the first place? Even *if* they did - I'd expect it to be a very limited engagement. One in which it's ticketed, basically invite only for sponsors, and the type that would be in the VIP tents in previous years.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I doubt it. As a Rochesterian, I love having them here. But the writing was already kind of on the wall that they were basically riding out the contract and that they preferred their new fancy digs they had built in Buffalo. So why would they go out of their way to come up with a plan and expose themselves to unnecessary risk when it's not required and they probably don't even want to in the first place? Even *if* they did - I'd expect it to be a very limited engagement. One in which it's ticketed, basically invite only for sponsors, and the type that would be in the VIP tents in previous years.


As the type who was in the VIP tent in previous years, I approve of this plan. 

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • YoloinOhio changed the title to Bills back to SJF for training camp? (Update: Not this year)
  • Hapless Bills Fan locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...