Best player for immediate upgrade to our starting lineup.

gjv

With consideration to being a team good enough to be a Super Bowl contender this coming season, I was thinking about a player that COULD BE AVAILABLE TO THE BILLS AT 30, and would have the most impact in improving the starting lineup to achieve a Super Bowl appearance. I’m leaning towards Travis Etinene. Is there someone else?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3

I think a one of the top corners left, I would love to see JOK fall to us but that is a pipe dream. I think we need to come out of this draft w/ a better option at the big nickel role. The pass rushers of this class look weak esp. at # 30, finding a starter opposite 'Tre could go a long way in helping the pass rush. I don't hate Samuel either, but ideally would prefer a bigger corner opposite 'Tre.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, gjv said:

With consideration to being a team good enough to be a Super Bowl contender this coming season, I was thinking about a player that COULD BE AVAILABLE TO THE BILLS AT 30, and would have the most impact in improving the starting lineup to achieve a Super Bowl appearance. I’m leaning towards Travis Etinene. Is there someone else?

Pass rusher.

But nobody will make that much of a difference this year. 

As for how much of a difference Etienne would make, around 130 extra yards in his first year would be a solid guess, plus an extra ... what ... maybe 150 yards of difference in passing. Somewhere around there.

As a rookie, Singletary had around 150 carries and Moss around 110. Split the diff, and say ETN had 130. Be wildly optimistic and say he'd average 5.3 YPC. That'd be around a yard per carry more than either of the other two, maybe. So maybe an extra 130 yards extra on the ground. Run the same type of replacement guesstimates on the pass game and maybe 150 yards in passing, though it's generous.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Craig Oi said:

I think a one of the top corners left, I would love to see JOK fall to us but that is a pipe dream. I think we need to come out of this draft w/ a better option at the big nickel role. The pass rushers of this class look weak esp. at # 30, finding a starter opposite 'Tre could go a long way in helping the pass rush. I don't hate Samuel either, but ideally would prefer a bigger corner opposite 'Tre.  

As per many draft sites, Samuel should be available in the 2nd round at where we pick

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Craig Oi said:

Wallace is our weakest db. I'm 80% sure we'll either trade up a small degree or stay at 30 for a cb/hybrid. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

One of the top 5 CBs honestly. ETN wouldn't get playing time year one because he would get Allen killed in pass pro.

Why top 5 corner?  Seems to me that there are 4 top corners (surtain, horn, Farley, Newsome) and the 5th best is universally unknown.  The top 4 are 1st rd talents and the other guys are 2nd rd.  I’d give my vote for Campbell, as I think he’s the best fit for our D but I feel the “top 5 corners” doesn’t really exist.  The 5th corner is up for debate.

Pertaining to the OPs question, as per Beanes press conference, expect the pick to be more long term than short term 

• Like (+1) 1

A legit #2 CB would help this team the most.  Not only would it help to cover guys down the field, but if they could actually cover for an extra second or two, that would immediately help the pass rush as well.

Too many times last year did we see Wallace, Norman, or whoever it was for that matter get beaten badly off the line and never be able to recover.  This needs to be fixed.  I don't know if a rookie will be able to fix that, but if I had my choice of upgrades, this would be it. 

This team has a lot of sneaky needs.  A young, speed WR being one of them.  Sure, our depth chart looks OK now, but there are a lot of moving parts and with Allen set to get his new deal, they will need a young playmaker at WR to pair with Diggs sooner than later.  Davis is solid, but I want more speed there.  Edge is obviously a need as well although this draft is weak there.  TE is also a need and unless we are trading for Ertz, the answer probably isn't at 30 either.  And yes, RB is a need, but I hate spending early picks at that position.  We definitely need speed at that position, but I think our picks can be spent elsewhere.

So yeah....I'm going into this draft with CB or WR at the top of my list in round 1. 

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Why top 5 corner?  Seems to me that there are 4 top corners (surtain, horn, Farley, Newsome) and the 5th best is universally unknown.  The top 4 are 1st rd talents and the other guys are 2nd rd.  I’d give my vote for Campbell, as I think he’s the best fit for our D but I feel the “top 5 corners” doesn’t really exist.  The 5th corner is up for debate.

Pertaining to the OPs question, as per Beanes press conference, expect the pick to be more long term than short term 

Campbell is also my 5th. This approach is also long term. Having 2 top corners (one on a rookie deal) is a nice asset to have. This gives up 4-5 years of very solid 1a and 1b CB play. I'm also good waiting til 63 or slight trade up there to get one too.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
More words lol
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, sven233 said:

A legit #2 CB would help this team the most.  Not only would it help to cover guys down the field, but if they could actually cover for an extra second or two, that would immediately help the pass rush as well.

Too many times last year did we see Wallace, Norman, or whoever it was for that matter get beaten badly off the line and never be able to recover.  This needs to be fixed.  I don't know if a rookie will be able to fix that, but if I had my choice of upgrades, this would be it. 

This team has a lot of sneaky needs.  A young, speed WR being one of them.  Sure, our depth chart looks OK now, but there are a lot of moving parts and with Allen set to get his new deal, they will need a young playmaker at WR to pair with Diggs sooner than later.  Davis is solid, but I want more speed there.  Edge is obviously a need as well although this draft is weak there.  TE is also a need and unless we are trading for Ertz, the answer probably isn't at 30 either.  And yes, RB is a need, but I hate spending early picks at that position.  We definitely need speed at that position, but I think our picks can be spent elsewhere.

So yeah....I'm going into this draft with CB or WR at the top of my list in round 1. 

Definitely agree with you about CB.  I truly will be a little shocked if one is not picked in the first 2 rounds.

Lots of fans concerned about WRs leaving or getting old starting next year.

I would like state that currently the Bills have 2 CBs signed next year (Tre and Dane Jackson).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1