John Ross as WR replacement for JohnBrown

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Khalif Raymond. Although I consider it mckenzies and roberts spot that needs filled not smoke 

If we don’t plan on replacing Brown with someone good, it’ll be a big mistake.  What happened in the playoffs?  Diggs, hurt.  Beasley, hurt. Davis, hurt.  No separation vs the chiefs. Season over.  

Whether it’s via free agency or the draft, we need another good WR.  If we don’t add one, we’re playing with fire and it won’t end well.  Personally, I hope we draft one in rd 1-3 and sign a free agent.  The more weapons, the better. 

29 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I'm sure that Smoke being distraught over being pushed off a team he didn't want to leave isn't going to make Beane hold a grudge. If anything, that should make him feel better. Smoke really wants to be here, so I hope this is correct and he dips his toes into FA to find it's not as receptive to

him as he'd thought.

I like Gabe Davis and Hodgins is interesting, but neither is the caliber of player a healthy John Brown is, at least not yet.

If the price range works, would love to have Smoke back.  It's the cost that is the sticking point. 

We really need the FA for WRs to dry up quick.  There have been two ridiculous priced WRs so far - Agholar and C Davis.  If it drops off a cliff from here out, the market for Smoke may bring him into play.

If not, a J Ross and a rookie may be the way to go.

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Anyone interested in signing John Ross as a replacement for John Brown,  is the fastest man in the NFL based on his 4.22 forty yard dash. Could also be used as a KR and is only 26.  He gives us Tyreek Hill type of speed 

image.thumb.png.45f6a8eec2511cb3447994a29d8f552d.png

Beane said it, it's not enough to be fast, you have to be fast and able to play football

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Speed without football skill is a track meet.

If the Bills took "a flyer" on every high risk player there would be no good players on the team only 90 flyers.

Well yes. But conversely, if they didn't ever take a risk on a player they wouldn't currently have a franchise QB.

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Anyone interested in signing John Ross as a replacement for John Brown,  is the fastest man in the NFL based on his 4.22 forty yard dash. Could also be used as a KR and is only 26.  He gives us Tyreek Hill type of speed 

No thanks. If he was going to be a thing, it would've happened by now.

21 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Well yes. But conversely, if they didn't ever take a risk on a player they wouldn't currently have a franchise QB.

True.  But a guy who's been in the league 3 years and his best year is 50% catches for 500 yds is the equivalent of the Bills taking a risk on Mitch Trubisky (or Case Keenum) as their franchise man.

7 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I don't trust anyone coming from the Bengals organization. That's just me.

I think that may be where Beane is still.

I have been advocating for signing John Ross.

Beane likes to take swings on supremely physically talented players and high draft picks that didn't pan out with their first team.

I think Brian Daboll could absolutely find ways to use Ross's speed. Could he come in and be WR2? That seems doubtful, at least in the immediate term. Could he contribute meaningful snaps and add another weapon to the arsenal? I think he could, yes.

4 hours ago, Conlan58 said:

Just because you have speed, doesn't make you a good returner. Also - Tyrone Hill? 

you think Tyrone is a good rout runner?  Its because of his speed is why he can do certain things... when your that fast? you draw attention and even more attention when you have a guy that can deliver it.

We have rout runners in Diggs and Beasley.. we need speed

40 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If we don’t plan on replacing Brown with someone good, it’ll be a big mistake.  What happened in the playoffs?  Diggs, hurt.  Beasley, hurt. Davis, hurt.  No separation vs the chiefs. Season over.  

Whether it’s via free agency or the draft, we need another good WR.  If we don’t add one, we’re playing with fire and it won’t end well.  Personally, I hope we draft one in rd 1-3 and sign a free agent.  The more weapons, the better. 

We have Hodgins who should be ready for some snaps. I expect to sign one. And I expect they’ll draft one too. 
Both guys should have speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

We have Hodgins who should be ready for some snaps. I expect to sign one. And I expect they’ll draft one too. 
Both guys should have speed. 

Yeah, Hodgins should be our 6th WR next year imo.  He’s a slot/red zone guy.  He can’t play outside.  Get a FA and draft one WR in rd 1-3

4 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Based on the times I've watched John Ross play, you practically have to hand him the football if you want him to hang onto it.

Edited by Jamie Mueller

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True.  But a guy who's been in the league 3 years and his best year is 50% catches for 500 yds is the equivalent of the Bills taking a risk on Mitch Trubisky (or Case Keenum) as their franchise man.

I beg to differ. Teams have a stable of Wrs. What do we have like 7 or 8 at the moment? So you get a guy near vet min. He fails. You cut him. You have options. I can't therefore compare it to QB. The cost risk is also much different.

He's only played for 1 franchise. An abysmal franchise with established receivers. You are backing your coaching and physio's to turn it round. He's young and has traits. It's not inconceivable that he could do better. You see it all the time in FA. Like the guy Floyd on the Rams in LA this year.

The counter argument is the lowered cap and I do get that.

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

If he was then you would not be signing him for next to nothing

I mean, sure, if you're signing to a camp tryout to see if somehow everything clicks, then yeah, you always bring in a guy like that if there's literally zero risk. But this is FA day 2 and the suggestion is that he'd be replacing our WR2 so those two aren't exactly apples to apples. If, after we sign higher priority FAs, and fill other holes through the draft he's still around and we're really signing him for "next to nothing", I'd be all in, but that wasn't really the suggestion...

"Speed" is great, and sure it's interesting to think about him running as fast as he can in a straight line while Allen throws the ball 80 yards downfield, but that's not really realistic football. That -- and injuries -- are why Ross has never amounted to anything in the league. I'd personally rather take a chance on a guy like Perriman in FA or Ihmir Smith-Marsette as an UDFA.

Dalton never had much of an arm, neither does Burrow and although I love Burrow and I think he will be a great QB, he doesn’t necessarily have an elite arm, he’s more of a surgeon. Ross could be deadly if paired with Allen. I do think he would be an upgrade over McKenzie, especially with Daboll using Ross in design plays to get the ball to him. Wouldn’t pay a whole lot but yes I do think he would do a lot better here with Allen & Daboll.

Edited by Victory Formation

I’m not sure as a replacement, but yes.  I think Davis is the replacement, but Ross is a good depth, deep threat.  I do believe he needs a change of scenery.  Being a former CB he could also be a good gunner.