Free Agency Wish List After Pre FA re-signings

54 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

We need pass rush but cutting Addison doesn’t mean you’re getting yannick or lawson or any of the other guys, and it’s conceivable if they were signed they’d have similar numbers to what Addison just put up. 

Couldnt they have got a  DE signed in FA  and then cut Addison..  at least they are younger guys that could be on the team contributing for years...if you dont land a guy then keep Addison .

He has taken a paycut more than likely in return for some more guaranteed money this year ( I havent seen this confirmed anywhere but its usually the convention..) so it seems unlikely now that will happen..

Edited by Aussie Joe

Realistically, based on our cap space after the recent re-signings, here are some guys that I think would be good fits and are actually affordable/attainable. 

- TE Dan Arnold (would prefer Zach Ertz, but doubt Bills are willing to give up the draft pick necessary)

- WR John Ross (would like to see us take him on as a reclamation project in Daboll’s offense. Elite speed.)

- EDGE Denico Autry 

- WR Emmanuel Sanders (a one year deal to add speed and make sure that Gabriel Davis is ready for a bigger role)

- WR Khalif Raymond (....speed.)

- RB James White (3rd down back who should slide seamlessly into Daboll’s offense)

- EDGE Melvin Ingram

So, basically: a veteran WR with speed, an edge rusher, a tight end with size, and maybe a running back. I think they’ll add cornerback and IOL help in the draft. 

These guys represent the tier/price of free agents I think the Bills will be in the market for. I do not believe they’ll be in on any of the “big fish”, the likes of Johnnu Smith or Carl Lawson or Curtis Samuel. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they are, but I don’t think it will happen. This year is a “bargain shopping” year, in my opinion.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

Boettger, Wallace and Bojorquez are restricted free agents.  Any of them get qualifying offer?

Not announced yet.  Teams must submit qualifying offers to restricted free agents by Wed. March 17 at 4PM ET.

24 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

TE Rob Gronkowski comes home to Buffalo (obviously this one ain’t happening but I can dream)

Unfortunately Gronk will not be coming back to Buffalo for someone to bonk him in his weak spot - his head.

4 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Now that Feliciano is re-signed I fully expect Beane to go after a high end Guard in either free agency or by trade. Feliciano did not get starter money and I’m thinking there’s a reason for that. His versatility at C and G is invaluable but we did not have a ground game last year and it’s no secret that Beane is going to change that. Either Ford, who I believe will be, or Feliciano will be starting at G while the other backs up. 

Morse restructures, there’s our C, Dawkins and Williams are solidified at the T positions, so that leaves the G position the one that needs to be upgraded. Beane can’t count on Cody yet and I believe that Beane knows what Feliciano’s capabilities are. Drafting and expecting a rookie to be able to man that position as a starter doesn’t make sense either, especially drafting at the #30 spot.

if this turns out to be accurate then that’s 1 less need to address in the draft right away. The other glaring need that needs to be addressed is a outside pass rusher. Once again I expect that to be fulfilled either by trade or signing a FA. 

if these scenarios play out then it allows Beane to really be able to draft BPA. In my opinion that would make one of these top RBs to be that. A #2 CB could be the call as well but I’m hoping that someone like Xavier Rhodes to that guy. Hopefully Poyer did a good job of promoting Buffalo this last off season.

Did you just say Mongo didnt get starter money?

The value is in the cheap, or even average deals where the guy has an unexpected season and can be flipped for a comp pick the following year. Like Agholor last year. 

2 years ago Shaq Barrett signed a modest FA deal. Look at him now.

I think Beans is too smart to get into a bidding war for an 'elite' FA.

• Agree 1

in FA we must get experienced 
1) pass rusher. In NFL.com top list of FA 7 of top 12 are Edges. Get 1 of them

2) TE Jonnu Smith, Henry or Rudolph

I’d also resign as depth McKenzie, Levi, Boetger,

In draft:

RB with real NFL speed 

CB2

OG/C now depth, future replacement of Morse

DT big run stopper

LB which will push Klein out of roster

WR for depth and 4-5WR downs 

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

in FA we must get experienced 
1) pass rusher. In NFL.com top list of FA 7 of top 12 are Edges. Get 1 of them

2) TE Jonnu Smith, Henry or Rudolph

I’d also resign as depth McKenzie, Levi, Boetger,

In draft:

RB with real NFL speed 

CB2

OG/C now depth, future replacement of Morse

DT big run stopper

LB which will push Klein out of roster

WR for depth and 4-5WR downs 

Where does the money come from?  

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Couldnt they have got a  DE signed in FA  and then cut Addison..  at least they are younger guys that could be on the team contributing for years...if you dont land a guy then keep Addison .

He has taken a paycut more than likely in return for some more guaranteed money this year ( I havent seen this confirmed anywhere but its usually the convention..) so it seems unlikely now that will happen..

Yeah I can’t see them getting rid of him this year now. 
They have to like something about him or felt he was better or closer than we think he was. He was a 10 sack guy for multiple years. Maybe he’s declined, or maybe it was the officiating allowing some more holds, but at his salary I have to think they didn’t see anyone as a real upgrade over him in free agency or it’s an easy decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Tender Wallace

2. Sign Bojo 

3. Sign Kyle Rudolph

4. Start watching more college tape because there is no more money to spend

I agree with 1 and 2. Beane should keep signing our own free agents. Better the bird in hand, than two in the bush!

2 minutes ago, GLP said:

I agree with 1 and 2. Beane should keep signing our own free agents. Better the bird in hand, than two in the bush!

I'm higher on Wallace at a cheap price than many on this board. I don't see CB2 as a big need. Others disagree. 

I can see a scenario where they draft a CB in the first round giving them two lock down corners for the foreseeable future. Would I make that move? No. Would I hate it? PRobably not as long as they add a pass rusher in FA or later in the draft.

My #1 wish list item is a DE who has proven able to rush the passer. That is what is missing from an otherwise pretty solid defense. 

Next would be an interior lineman. The market will be flooded with guards this year, and Beane has shown an ability to find quality lineman at a good price. Get another solid guard in here to compete with Ford or at least offer solid depth. You can't have too many good OL. All it takes is one interior lineman going down and suddenly we're in big trouble. This would be huge insurance for this season. You might even get a quality player on a 1 year deal, given the circumstances with the cap this season. A guy might figure that playing on a top offense with Josh Allen would allow him to cash in big next year. 

Finally, we need another option in the passing game, either TE or WR. Diggs, Beasley and Davis is nice, but if one gets nicked up things drop off very quickly. Maybe the draft is the place to go there, but if there is a solid veteran type guy that can produce, bring him in on a 2-3 year deal. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

I'd like to see some speed so I say we throw money at Roscoe Parrish. Assuming Barkley is gone, some experience and wisdom at the QB position would be nice so I'm looking at Art Schlichter there.

Both these dudes are available and should come cheap.

Edited by Tuel Time
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Tender Wallace

2. Sign Bojo 

3. Sign Kyle Rudolph

4. Start watching more college tape because there is no more money to spend

WRT #4-theres ALWAYS more money. I definitely agree that they need to make sure their scouting is on point, but teams can always find more money if they have a guy they really want to sign 

14 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I say every year there’s going to be a lot of disappointed people on here come free agency when all those players in the top 5 range of their position are not signed here. Beane is generally 3 steps ahead of this message board. I expect he’ll look for upgrades to the roster but its rarely who us fans are looking at. Feliciano is the prime example. Here’s a guy who spent 4 years in Oakland as a backup who barely ever played. They identified him as an upgrade at a cheaper price and a guy who had room to get better. Under the radar. Those are free agents you want. The top guys rarely even come close to living up to the hype and money invested. 

Point taken.

Yet there have been a few times where players we wanted ended up here. Mitch Morse, Daryl Williams & Stefon Diggs.

Update FA Options:

Edge: Lawson, Dupree, Ingram, Hendrickson, Reddick, Judon, Yannick, Floyd, Clowney

TE: Henry, Gronk, Everett

WR: Galloday, Samuel, Davis, JuJu, Fuller, Hilton, Agholor

CB: Jackson, Griffin, Peterson, Rhodes, King, Sherman, Poole, Hilton, Darby

DT: Tomlinson, Rankins, Harris

RB: Drake, Carson, Connor

11 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Point taken.

Yet there have been a few times where players we wanted ended up here. Mitch Morse, Daryl Williams & Stefon Diggs.

I hear ya, but Diggs was a trade and williams was a low risk high reward signing and cheap. Morse and Mario are really the only “top tier” kinda free agents we’ve signed in a long time. I’m happy to add talent and the team to get better always I think our wish lists get a little out of hand a lot of times and it makes people get miserable lol 

14 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I say every year there’s going to be a lot of disappointed people on here come free agency when all those players in the top 5 range of their position are not signed here. Beane is generally 3 steps ahead of this message board. I expect he’ll look for upgrades to the roster but its rarely who us fans are looking at. Feliciano is the prime example. Here’s a guy who spent 4 years in Oakland as a backup who barely ever played. They identified him as an upgrade at a cheaper price and a guy who had room to get better. Under the radar. Those are free agents you want. The top guys rarely even come close to living up to the hype and money invested. 

It goes both ways. I think Beane has done better with the low risk signings as do most GM's because there is less of a spotlight. But look at last year and I am sure there was similar talk. What did Beane do? He signed Jefferson, Addison and Butler all to decent deals. All three of them were target to be cut this year. Where did he hit? The Diggs trade was the main game changer. Then the low risk move on Williams and bringing back Feliciano. But if you look over time the FA signings with the most $ have not panned out - Star, Jefferson, Murphy, Kroft, Addison, Butler, Norman.