Drew Brees finally announces retirement

Beast

Saints are restructuring QB Taysom Hill’s contract to create cap room. Details are great: it’s a 4-year, $140 million contract extension - but all years are voidable and it’s a mechanism to free up cap space this year, per source. It saves Saints over $7.5M against cap this year.

They are paying Taysom Hill 35 million a year.

Edited by Whkfc
  • Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

An all-time great career and sure fire first ballot Hall of Famer. Sad to see him only win one Super Bowl, but them’s the breaks. You can’t say his team didn’t put everything they had behind him. 

Better than 0-4.

• Vomit 1

Sad to see him go.  At the end of last year, he was barely playing better than Peyton Manning (my personal GOAT) was playing at the end of HIS career.  Both only a shell of themselves, getting by on experience, wiles, and game management. 

I'm afraid that a generation of fans will see the Brees of the last year or two and wonder what all the fuss was about.  People will compare aged Brees or aged Manning with current Brady, and figure Brady must always have been better than either of them.   Not true. 

Where Brady was a cunning surgeon, using a great game plan and his own great talents to pick apart defenses, Brees was a strap it on, let's go get them fighter.  I admire both approaches but Brees was a lot more fun to watch.  Peyton Manning could be either of those two styles, as the situation dictated, and that's why I think he's the GOAT.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Locomark said:

Add another 2021 game to the obvious victory column...

If you think the Saints had a better chance against the Bills with Brees than whomever they eventually  roll out in 2021 you haven’t been paying attention. Brees may have finally retired, but his arm called it quits in 2019. 

He had to get with his CPA to see if he had enough cash to retire before he announced it to the team 🤔 ...

He didn't want to have to down size to a 3/2 in a couple of yrs . Poor guy i hope he can make his money last !! 😂

10 hours ago, transient said:

If you think the Saints had a better chance against the Bills with Brees than whomever they eventually  roll out in 2021 you haven’t been paying attention. Brees may have finally retired, but his arm called it quits in 2019. 

Yeah, great point. It's so easy to replace a QB who completed 70.5% of his passes, threw 24 TDs and 6 INTs, had 8.1 yards per attempt and a passer rating of 106.4. Not for his career. Those were his stats last year. He wasn't what he had been but he was still very very good.

Class act, and a true great. I feel bad for Brees that his career ended with 4 straight heartbreaking losses in the playoffs when his team was supposed to win. New Orleans has been totally stacked for years now on offense and defense, which is why they are in cap hell now. 

If you think about it, the Saints just had a span of 4 consecutive seasons where they really should have been in 3 or 4 of the last Super Bowls. Can't win a 2nd ring if you're not in the game.

4 years in a row of heartbreak and coming up short... 

The Minnesota Miracle

The Rams non called PI

The Saints getting called for PI in the end zone in OT to end the game

The Cook fumble when the Saints were about to put the game away against TB this year in the 3rd quarter and go up 14

Brees very easily could have retired with 3 rings, maybe even 4. But you have to get to the game to win it. 

13 hours ago, transient said:

That’s a bad take sorry. He is still better than Hill by far. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, great point. It's so easy to replace a QB who completed 70.5% of his passes, threw 24 TDs and 6 INTs, had 8.1 yards per attempt and a passer rating of 106.4. Not for his career. Those were his stats last year. He wasn't what he had been but he was still very very good.

67.9% 9TDs and 2 INTs, 5-1 and 72.7% 8TDs (4 passing, 4 rushing) and 2 INTs, 3-1 - those were Bridgewater's and Hills numbers in relief the last 2 seasons. That team was stacked and made a push to win a SB in 2020 with Brees, and they miscalculated, now they're having to tear it down because they're $100M over the cap. It doesn't take away from Brees career, but he looked brutal for long stretches in 2020. I live in NOLA and saw just about every game. When he came back from the rib fractures, Payton should have stuck to the running game and protected him the way they were doing with Hill, and the way Denver did with Manning. He was out of gas at the end of 2019 as well.