Watt to Cardinals (bills were Cardinals biggest competition per report)

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Everyone here is acting like a chafed ex/girlfriend.  Relax, Watt is good and will be better with better teammates. I wanted him but at 15.5m per I’m not upset he signed elsewhere 

I never wanted him. Watt was good. 

Man, the sour grapes on here. 

He's a good player though certainly not the guy he used to be. He's a good guy too.

We didn't get him. Fine. We move on and use the money differently.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I suspect the $23M guaranteed on a 2-year deal was what drove his decision.  Lots of details to consider when it comes to contracts - guarantees, length, structure/backloading.  I heard the Browns offered $13.5M/yr earlier in the process.  No idea if they increased that or not.  Even at $13.5M AAV if it was for a a 3 year deal, then that’s $40.5M and they technically offered more in a way. Lots gets said about contract offers, but without details none of it really means much.

I think Watt was a phenomenal player and that he’s still good.  I’m glad we didn’t pay him what ‘Zona did though.  That’s just too much for a rotational 32 year old pass rusher.  Heck, I thought $13.5M would've too much unless it was a longer deal that was backloaded.  

I think he might play up to the level of that contract. But in the Bills financial situation he wasn't worth that kind of money to us.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get what you are saying...but we are fans here discussing the very thing.  So my point was that it wasn't just my personal hot take, Kyle took a lot of heat for both Super Bowls by a lot of people, sports reporters, players, analysts, and fans.  

And I am not advocating for Klingsbury either, he is very much still a work in progress as a young coach before anyone knows what he is or isn't.  I just didn't agree that Kyle is automatically substantially better as I think he still also has a lot to prove.  

That’s more than fair, it’s not just your hot take and you supported that. Which I absolutely appreciate and can not argue with. 

I would agree that both have things to improve upon, but it depends on what your definition of substantially better is, right? In my opinion going to two Super Bowls and running elite offenses in multiples seasons makes Shanahan a very good coach. Now the next step he needs to take is winning it all. He’s won a division, made the playoffs, won a conference championship game. Granted it took some time to get there.

Kingsbury on the other hand hasn’t done any of that and we still don’t know if he’s even capable, right? He may absolutely have the capacity to do those things... but Shanahan has proven he actually can.

Maybe the right term is ahead of Kingsbury, which we can both agree is probably a fair statement. Then it’s going to come down to personal feelings on their abilities. They’re the same age, and that doesn’t necessarily mean Kingsbury can’t grow exponentially... but Shanahan has experienced things that Kingsbury hasn’t even sniffed yet. The guy had 2 winning seasons at Texas Tech in 6 seasons and his biggest accomplishment to date is winning the Holiday Bowl in 2013. Mind you for most of him time at Texas Tech he had the greatest QB in the world and couldn’t muster a winning record. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

Focusing on and trying to build up the defense is a pointless endeavor, if your goal is to beat the Chiefs in 2021. The Bucs Defense was an outlier - no matter what the Bills do this offseason on Defense, they will NEVER recreate the Bucs 2020 Defense. That would literally take years and years to accomplish. So what is the point? Why even go that route? It's silly. Not to mention - NFL Defense in 2021 is a mirage - it comes and goes, not sustainable. Your defense is only as good as your last game. 

You can improve the DL, improve the LBs, improve the CB2....guess what? The Chiefs are still dropping 30+ against the Bills in 2021, both regular season and playoff game; all your defensive improvements are moot.

So then you are right back to Square 1, exactly where you were in 2020 - needing to outscore the Chiefs, needing to score ~35 points to win.

Focus on Offense over Defense. It's a much wiser investment, because Josh makes everyone on Offense better, so an offensive addition is guaranteed to make an impact. Sometimes your best defense is an unstoppable offense. The Bills just need 1 or 2 extra pieces to be unstoppable offensively - so add those few pieces and finish the deal. If you control the clock + score at will, your defense will just need to be "good enough".

No.

You make your team better by the largest amount you can. Defense or offense. 

And of course the Bucs defense can't be recreated. Neither can any team's defense or offense. But you can still follow the Bucs model, which among other things was to improve the defense as well as the offense.

If you make our defense better, it's harder for the Chiefs to score.

Focus on the team. Which certainly includes the defense. The reason the Chiefs went from contender to champion was that even when they had Mahomes they went out of their way to bring in two really good defenders in Mathieu and Frank Clark in 2019 and that meant they were harder to score against, which made every point they scored even more important as it was now harder to match.

In 2018 the Chiefs were 1st in the NFL in scoring and 24th in preventing points. And got outscored in the AFC championship by a Pats

Then they brought in Mathieu and Clark and went from 1st down to 5th in points but from 24th all the way up to 7th in points allowed. And won a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

That’s more than fair, it’s not just your hot take and you supported that. Which I absolutely appreciate and can not argue with. 

I would agree that both have things to improve upon, but it depends on what your definition of substantially better is, right? In my opinion going to two Super Bowls and running elite offenses in multiples seasons makes Shanahan a very good coach. Now the next step he needs to take is winning it all. He’s won a division, made the playoffs, won a conference championship game. Granted it took some time to get there.

Kingsbury on the other hand hasn’t done any of that and we still don’t know if he’s even capable, right? He may absolutely have the capacity to do those things... but Shanahan has proven he actually can.

Maybe the right term is ahead of Kingsbury, which we can both agree is probably a fair statement. Then it’s going to come down to personal feelings on their abilities. They’re the same age, and that doesn’t necessarily mean Kingsbury can’t grow exponentially... but Shanahan has experienced things that Kingsbury hasn’t even sniffed yet. The guy had 2 winning seasons at Texas Tech in 6 seasons and his biggest accomplishment to date is winning the Holiday Bowl in 2013. Mind you for most of him time at Texas Tech he had the greatest QB in the world and couldn’t muster a winning record. 

All fair and good points, and yes I would agree Kyle is ahead of Kingsbury.  

As far as Texas Tech goes...how many years did the Saints not make the playoffs with one of the greatest QB's in history?  It takes more than a QB, and Texas Tech isn't exactly a powerhouse school and the overall rosters were not very good outside Mahomes.  If he was the HC at a major recruitment school and had Mahomes, then fine, I would say his college record is concerning.  

I am no Klingsbury fan, don't really have much of an opinion on him at all to be honest.  I just think some people (not you, but others) have been overly harsh on him because he didn't win more at Texas Tech and I just don't see that as very significant reason to write him off.  

But I am still also skeptical of Kyle Shannahan TBH.  I would have never hired him after that Atlanta travesty in the SB personally.  Not like he built that offense, he inherited a potent offensive roster there.  Then to watch him choke away a game like that on a team notorious for choking was just something that would have given me pause as a GM.  The 49er SB did nothing to erase those concerns either, at least not for me.  

1 hour ago, Jumpsuit Jim said:

On a side note, that means a QB in the Pacific Northwest who has been complaining about being hit too much will potentially face either Watt, Bosa, or Donald in 37.5% of the games played next season. 

He'll have to learn to get rid of the ball in a timely fashion now.

• Agree 1

[quote]Watt and his camp had done their homework on the various opportunities. They knew what the Bills had to offer in terms of culture, the roster and cap space. He knew he would have a chance to play for a Super Bowl contender under a coach who would know how to maximize his ability to extend his career with a heavy rotation on the defensive line.

He also knew the Bills made an offer and didn’t budge. They set their price internally, presented that to Watt and didn’t waver. By last week, Watt had offers in the neighborhood of $20 million guaranteed. The Bills didn’t offer that much and weren’t compelled to do so when they weren’t the highest offer. Those offers helped Watt get an even better contract from the Cardinals that is reportedly worth $23 million guaranteed and $31 million total over two years. That was a price the Bills weren’t going to to touch.[/quote]

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4

Just now, HappyDays said:

According to this the Bills weren't even in the ballpark of the highest offer. So they were never a serious option to get him, turns out he was just chasing the money.

They were a serious option ... regardless of the money