Only 2 teams put in requests to interview Daboll

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting. 

Overrated as an OC........he's got too much of that "wicky-wacky"..........as they used to say about Mularkey and Sam Wyche.......in his play calling and design.

Looks great until it looks woeful. 

Doesn't mean he couldn't be a great HC but I think that and having been fired at so many other OC jobs are significant negatives. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Disagree 4

I kind of wish Frazier had gotten the Texans job, we would have gotten 2 number 3 picks and the D is in good hands overall with coach McD and maybe a change would do the D good.  Our D line coach was the Panthers D coord as well so we are well stocked coaching that side of the ball..which makes me feel better that Daboll was not a prime candidate to move on...their loss is our gain.

judging by the number of interviews... interesting that Eric Bieniemy had another year of consideration and no job.

wonder if he has been given an offer and turned it down or  does he interview poorly and suffers from the stigma of basically running Andy Reid's offense for him.

Fans tend to overrate their players...and now apparently their coaches.

Other teams looking at potential HC's look beyond their rankings for coordinators, meaning they are wising up about whom to hire as a HC.  Too many bad hires of "hot" offensive coordinators that aren't suited to being in charge.  McDaniels with Denver and Gase with Miami/NY Jets come to mind.  

It may take another 1-2 seasons to rehabilitate his previous coaching resume. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Fans tend to overrate their players...and now apparently their coaches.

Other teams looking at potential HC's look beyond their rankings for coordinators, meaning they are wising up about whom to hire as a HC.  Too many bad hires of "hot" offensive coordinators that aren't suited to being in charge.  McDaniels with Denver and Gase with Miami/NY Jets come to mind.  

It may take another 1-2 seasons to rehabilitate his previous coaching resume. 

I don’t know if this necessarily has to do with daboll being overrated as a coordinator. He has done a very good job and it’s hard to argue that.

I think just because you’re a good coordinator, doesn’t necessarily make you a good head coach.

So many things go into being a head coach, with leadership being a big trait.

So I think it’s very possible that while daboll is really good at being a coordinator, he may be missing some of those key traits that would make him a good head coach.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, turftoe said:

He got twice as many interviews as Nathaniel Hackett.

Hackett is hurt in this process by having an entrenched HOF QB and probably shoots down his importance in the success of the offense 

I think there could be a question as to whether Allen is benefiting from Daboll’s coaching or if Daboll is benefiting from Allen’s talent. Both are true 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

I don’t know if this necessarily has to do with daboll being overrated as a coordinator. He has done a very good job and it’s hard to argue that.

I think just because you’re a good coordinator, doesn’t necessarily make you a good head coach.

So many things go into being a head coach, with leadership being a big trait.

So I think it’s very possible that while daboll is really good at being a coordinator, he may be missing some of those key traits that would make him a good head coach.

How do you quantify or even qualify whether a coordinator is good?  It's hard considering that they operate within the HC's desired game-plan and may work with inferior or superior talent.  Daboll's success improved dramatically with the ascent of Josh Allen to a top tier NFL QB.

7 NFL teams had job openings at HC this year.  5 decided against interviewing Daboll, although perhaps his presence deep into the playoffs hurt that.  OTOH, if he was an in-demand candidate, one would think a team could wait for their guy.  That's quite the validation he's not HC material and/or that his work as an OC hasn't yet proven he's worthy of a promotion. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He'll need another top 10 season as an offensive coordinator.  Sample size is too small.  Although, he had to be a better candidate than Campbell or Culley were.

I don't think the statistical ranking matters much.   There is a lot of information available now.    I think showing growth and adaptability is what would serve him best.  

It only takes one team though.........Mike McCarthy OC'd San Francisco to a 30th ranking in his only season there and Green Bay promptly hired him to be their HC.

All it takes is one team.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

How do you quantify or even qualify whether a coordinator is good?  It's hard considering that they operate within the HC's desired game-plan and may work with inferior or superior talent.  Daboll's success improved dramatically with the ascent of Josh Allen to a top tier NFL QB.

7 NFL teams had job openings at HC this year.  5 decided against interviewing Daboll, although perhaps his presence deep into the playoffs hurt that.  OTOH, if he was an in-demand candidate, one would think a team could wait for their guy.  That's quite the validation he's not HC material and/or that his work as an OC hasn't yet proven he's worthy of a promotion. 

Well considering he took an anemic bills offence from 2018 to top 3 in the league,  and with a QB that had came 2nd place in mvp voting after coming out of college with huge flaws, how can you really argue otherwise?

Daboll was a big part of Allen’s growth (among other factors of course)

. if you don’t watch cover1 from Erik Turner, I would highly recommend you checking that out, as some of the game plans and play calls/adjustments daboll has is brilliant.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Well considering he took an anemic bills offence from 2018 to top 3 in the league,  and with a QB that had came 2nd place in mvp voting after coming out of college with huge flaws, how can you really argue otherwise?

Daboll was a big part of Allen’s growth (among other factors of course)

. if you don’t watch cover1 from Erik Turner, I would highly recommend you checking that out, as some of the game plans and play calls/adjustments daboll has is brilliant.

He didn't take them from an anemic offense in 2018.........he WAS the OC in 2018.

And the first half of that season it was so bad that they were on pace to perhaps be the worst offense the NFL had ever seen since the merger.

Hooray for improvement but we probably aren't looking at a generational talent at that post.... he has been fired from 3 previous NFL OC gigs.

Doesn't reflect well on Daboll, but...

It is possible some teams wanted to pursue him but did not b/c we were making a deep playoff run.  These teams like to get all those coaching slots in order as fast as possible.

It seems a little nuts to me, but people on the inside say this is the case.

Perhaps if we had not even made the playoffs this year, he would have had more interview requests.