Only 2 teams put in requests to interview Daboll

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Overrated as an OC........he's got too much of that "wicky-wacky"..........as they used to say about Mularkey and Sam Wyche.......in his play calling and design.

Looks great until it looks woeful. 

Doesn't mean he couldn't be a great HC but I think that and having been fired at so many other OC jobs are significant negatives. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/brian-daboll-named-ap-s-assistant-coach-of-the-year

🙄

I expect there are some concerns about Daboll as a HC

Somehow I don't think concern about his abilities as an OC and someone who can develop a young QB are at the top

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He didn't take them from an anemic offense in 2018.........he WAS the OC in 2018.

And the first half of that season it was so bad that they were on pace to perhaps be the worst offense the NFL had ever seen since the merger.

Hooray for improvement but we probably aren't looking at a generational talent at that post.... he has been fired from 3 previous NFL OC gigs.

I was meaning to say he inherited an anemic offence in 2018, I’m aware he was the OC then.

And to be Frank , I didn’t like him the first year.

In saying that, I don’t think any Oc would have success when kelvin benjamin was the starting WR1 with Zay being the 2nd..

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He's had one good season. This would be like handing over your team to Adam Gase based on his 1 good year with Manning. 

I thought Daboll did a good job in 2019. The numbers didn't show it, but the schemes were well designed and the play calling was good. They had some talent issues that year and a still-developing qb.  But as opposed to Dennison, who was awful, I generally always felt that the calls weren't the issue. They just needed horses and more development from Allen, and they got that this season.

My take is teams are looking at Daboll like they look at Baltimore OC Greg Roman. Roman can build a really good run offense and is not so good at the pass game. 

Daboll has put together some really good game plans for the passing game for the 2020 season no question. Yet, those plans faltered big time in the playoffs. The Bills run game was almost nonexistent some games

That Ravens playoff game the Bills ran the ball only once the entire first half...and finished the game with nine RB carries for the entire game. The Bills offense scored ten offensive points that game.

I can only imagine how much more potent the Bills offense would be if they could run the ball like those 90's Bills could run it. They don't need to run more than pass. Simply become more effective at running it...balance! 

I think the Chargers seemed to be set to hire Daboll and watched those Colts / Ravens games and promptly hired Brandon Staley the day after that Ravens playoff game, Jan 17th. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He didn't take them from an anemic offense in 2018.........he WAS the OC in 2018.

And the first half of that season it was so bad that they were on pace to perhaps be the worst offense the NFL had ever seen since the merger.

Hooray for improvement but we probably aren't looking at a generational talent at that post.... he has been fired from 3 previous NFL OC gigs.

The offensive lineup in 2018 was arguably the worst assembly of talent since the 1985 Bills (when Ferragamo and Mathison combined for 9 TD passes and 31 picks). 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

My take is teams are looking at Daboll like they look at Baltimore OC Greg Roman. Roman can build a really good run offense and is not so good at the pass game. 

Daboll has put together some really good game plans for the passing game for the 2020 season no question. Yet, those plans faltered big time in the playoffs. The Bills run game was almost nonexistent some games

That Ravens playoff game the Bills ran the ball only once the entire first half...and finished the game with nine RB carries for the entire game. The Bills offense scored ten offensive points that game.

I can only imagine how much more potent the Bills offense would be if they could run the ball like those 90's Bills could run it. They don't need to run more than pass. Simply become more effective at running it...balance! 

I think the Chargers seemed to be set to hire Daboll and watched those Colts / Ravens games and promptly hired Brandon Staley the day after that Ravens playoff game, Jan 17th. 

The Bills were 6th in rushing attempts and 8th in rushing yards in 2019. How soon we forget.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting. 

In his podcast with Collinsworth, Beane seemed to imply Daboll had a number of interview (more than 2) during the week between the Colts and the Ravens?  I don't feel energized to go back and find it, anyone else?

Taking it at face value, it's interesting that the two teams the Bills faced this season (Chargers and Jets) were the ones who requested interviews with him.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/brian-daboll-named-ap-s-assistant-coach-of-the-year

🙄

I expect there are some concerns about Daboll as a HC

Somehow I don't think concern about his abilities as an OC and someone who can develop a young QB are at the top

Ok yeah he's a great coordinator...........moving on......name me one NFL HC ever that had been previously fired from 3 NFL coordinator gigs.

It's one thing for a club to hire a young guy like Nick Siriani and defend his whiteness.........it's another to pass on an Eric Bienemy to hire a white guy who has been canned from a lower job 3 times.

Being a HC is not like being a QB........there are plenty of capable people to fill the jobs..........and yes, if Daboll wants to overcome his past and help sell himself to not only the ownership but also the fanbase and local media of a market as a new HC........yeah I think showing growth in his current job would be his best shot.  

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

The Peter Principle states that, if you perform well in your job, you will likely be promoted to the next level of your organization's hierarchy. You will continue to rise up the ladder until you reach the point where you can no longer perform well.

I think teams were worried Daboll's ceiling is OC -- and they didn't want to get pinched by the Peter Principle by prematurely making him a HC.

If 2021 season is successful like 2020, Daboll will be gone next year.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just about every great coach in NFL history has been fired multiple times.

I’m not saying Daboll is great, but using past firings as a defining criteria is reductive and silly.

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Fans tend to overrate their players...and now apparently their coaches.

Other teams looking at potential HC's look beyond their rankings for coordinators, meaning they are wising up about whom to hire as a HC.  Too many bad hires of "hot" offensive coordinators that aren't suited to being in charge.  McDaniels with Denver and Gase with Miami/NY Jets come to mind.  

It may take another 1-2 seasons to rehabilitate his previous coaching resume. 

Sometimes the hires may no sense at all in years gone by. Still hard to believe that Mike Pettine from the drought-era Bills got hired by Cleveland, what a major downer for Browns fans.