You know what I heard about Kordell Stewart...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/kordell-stewart-nfl-football-pittsburgh-steelers

Please feel free to move where more approriate, but its a good article and not sure the best place to put it.

Players Tribune has always been a favorite of mine.  I wouldve been about 10 when Kordell hit the scene, but I remember all this pretty clearly.  Had a pretty cool ending.  The guy contributed to paving the way for the new styles we've seen.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I remember going to Bills/Steelers game in ‘99.  Flutie Bills beat Steelers at the Ralph.  I remember over-hearing some middle aged Steelers fans complaining how their QB likes little boys.  Very timely and relevant though.  Easy to spread lies to people who wanna believe it.  

I have a feeling he was pretty careful to not put these guys in a negative light.  I could only imagine what the actual conversations sounded like back then.  Really enjoyed the overall theme of just being comfortable in his own skin, and the end response to what Mr Rooney said.  Had he switched to WR I think he wouldve been a lot less content with how his career turned out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Fantastic article. I was a Slash fan and didn’t know about these rumours in 98. He had a great attitude and it’s good to see that he has maintained that and established a, in my opinion, strong perspective on what rumours really mean. Weak people trying to weaken strong people.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Years ago, I vaguely remember rumors that "Troy Aikman is gay" (or am I hallucinating re another player?).

Didn't bother me at all, but I wonder if he and Slash had similar experience.

** Rumor not true of course.

It was his coach Barry Switzer who said that about Aikman.  At the time I thought Switzer was lucky that Aikman was a bigger man & didn't knock him out.  I'm sure if another coach told that lie about his star QB, a lot of them would have slugged him right in the face.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Years ago, I vaguely remember rumors that "Troy Aikman is gay" (or am I hallucinating re another player?).

Pretty sure that was insinuated by Skip Bayless. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It was his coach Barry Switzer who said that about Aikman.  At the time I thought Switzer was lucky that Aikman was a bigger man & didn't knock him out.  I'm sure if another coach told that lie about his star QB, a lot of them would have slugged him right in the face.  

Wow...hard to believe it came from a head coach, BUT not hard to believe if that coach was Switzer.

Maybe Troy didn't deck him b/c he feared BS would shoot him with that .38 he "forgot" was in his luggage.

As aside, did BS say this in public as a joke? Or some malicious whisper campaign?

@H2o: Bayless involved?? But, wait a minute, I heard he was gay. I'm so confused. //s

Edited by Dukestreetking
Start rumor that Skip is gay

16 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

It's funny how many rumors there are about QBs being gay.  Off the top of my head, I remember rumors about Aikman, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Kordell, Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn and Russel Wilson.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

It's funny how many rumors there are about QBs being gay.  Off the top of my head, I remember rumors about Aikman, Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Kordell, Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn and Russel Wilson.

wow, now that you point it out i remember hearing a few of these too

All I can say is, it must have been so very difficult to be something other than a white QB at that time. Good for him as he stood up for what he wanted to do. 

I recall that time in the NFL and never heard any rumor like that about him. Not surprised that someone started something like that though. 

As for Switzer, inherited a great team built by Jimmy Johnson...won a SB and fell on his face. Even Gailey took the Cowboys to the playoffs for two seasons with Aikman at QB. Dallas, GM Jerry Jones still believes he is the one that built that Cowboys dynasty. They haven't won a playoff game since 1995.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I remember going to Bills/Steelers game in ‘99.  Flutie Bills beat Steelers at the Ralph.  I remember over-hearing some middle aged Steelers fans complaining how their QB likes little boys.  Very timely and relevant though.  Easy to spread lies to people who wanna believe it.  

And lies travel more quickly than the truth.

• Like (+1) 1

I never knew that went down that way . I remember Slash lighting up the NFL he was some kind of a good player !! 

No matter what there are people that hate in all walks of our every day life & with no real evidence they spread the hate with malicious intent it's just to bad that those people are so unhappy with them selves that they can't allow others to be in a good place they have to try to bring others down and spread their hate to others  -- sad !! 

Super cool article, I especially loved this: 

“We really did everything together. He was a carpenter and a house painter and a barber, so guess what I was? An assistant house painter, an assistant carpenter and a junior barber. He had a shop in our garage, and it was like $7 for a cut from my dad and $5 if you wanted to take a chance with Kordell.” 

sucks that people were so awful to him. 

Not sure about painting those telling him to be a WR in such a negative light - it was before my time, but looking at his stats, he didn’t seem to be a very good QB....

Great read, thanks for sharing.

I remember those rumors about Kordell. We'll probably never know to what extent those things cut short a pretty remarkable start to an NFL career. It's just so mixed up with the "not a pro-style QB" conversation.

A few weeks ago there was a thread titled something like "Is Josh Allen the most physically gifted QB ever?" Being someone of a certain age and with a long memory, I responded: he's right up there, but watch some video of Roman Gabriel, Bobby Douglass, Bert Jones, Cam Newton, etc. before using words like "most" and "ever."

I forgot about Kordell Stewart. His running ability is obvious - there's a clip of him going 80 yards from a heavy set formation embedded in this article. But he could throw it 70 yards too. An amazing athlete, and from everything I've heard, a really good guy too. He was just a little ahead of his time with his particular QB skill set, and maybe the times were a little bit behind him as far as the rumor mill and the kinds of things that could get you blackballed from the NFL just a couple decades ago.

Interesting sidelight: he talks about long-forgotten 90s things that were status symbols, like a 6-CD changer. I knew I had arrived when I got that Sony 100-CD changer around the same time ...