Offseason: Players we can cut that would provide the most cap savings...

bills6969

Cut: Brown, Butler, Smith

Re-sign: Feliciano, William, Boettger, Bojorquez

After that, they will still be about 5M over the cap and will need to restructure Morse and Hughes or make another high salary cut.

Add in draft picks and a couple serviceable league minimum veterans and that's your 2021 team.

Key losses: Milano, Brown, Wallace, Norman, Roberts. Yeldon, we hardly knew ya.

Priority 1: Allen to have another great offseason and keep improving like he has every year so far.

Priority 2: Find a running game.

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I go with Addison, Jefferson, and Butler

Restructure Brown and Morse

Why in the HELL are people trying to get rid of Smoke.......WHY?

Age, cap savings and...age.

8 hours ago, balln said:

love these posts.

i would love to cut all of them. but hughes and addison will need to keep one unless they can sign a vet for cheaper and draft another. Then you will have to rely on D Johnson, AJ, vet and rookie. its a gamble for sure. but gotta make tough decisions. Would jerry re do contract? 

Jerry is already paid on the lower end of the DE market...There is nothing to cut. 

It is  a waste to cut Morse as his dead cap and cap are the same.  

What about Tyler Kroft?  

We are also getting Norman's  7M off the books and Murphy's  10M off the books

28 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Jerry is already paid on the lower end of the DE market...There is nothing to cut. 

It is  a waste to cut Morse as his dead cap and cap are the same.  

What about Tyler Kroft?  

We are also getting Norman's  7M off the books and Murphy's  10M off the books

Kroft is a FA.

Norman won’t be back either, he is a FA. Same with Murphy.

Jefferson, Butler, and Addison are goners. None of those players lived up to what they got paid. 

If Brown goes, I hope we have someone to replace him. I like Gabe but he has a lot of work to do before he is a number 2. 
Milano is going someplace else that will way overpay for him. 

5 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

I think you need to consider what Brown and Hughes would do with a 1yr extension. Cut their cap hits by about $4M each in 2021, and in 2022 they each have cap hits around $6M with limited dead cap of cut (maybe $1m-$2m each). This way you do three things...

1) cut salary cap in 2021, by a total of about $8M

2) keep players that have been relatively productive (Brown hurt, Hughes slowly decreasing with age but still effective)

3) save the money keep those guys, but have relatively easy outs after the 2021 season.

exactly. Everyone’s commenting like it’s cut or keep at those prices. 

In addition to those two extensions, Butler and Jefferson can be asked to take a pay cut or take a hike. There’s a good chance they take the pay cut especially if the cap is  lowered significantly. 

Edited by Rock-A-Bye Beasley

Keep Jerry, he needs help on the line he is a good leader as well. Restructure Brown he is 30 and injuries will likely happen maybe add a year to his deal to cut his cap number. Hyde I am 50/50, He isn't a ball hawk,  but he is decent. I lean towards moving on since he is 30 and likely could be replaced in this system by similar younger talent. The rest can go.

18 hours ago, bills6969 said:

It's looking like the Salary cap for next year will be somewhere around the $175mm mark.  If this is the case,  we won't have much room to do anything in free agency.   In order to create some room, we're going to need to let some guys go.  Here is a list players we can cut a reasonable price that would provide highest Cap savings:

1. John Brown - Dead cap 1.6m;  Cap savings 7.9m

2. Jerry Hughes - Dead cap 2.1m; Cap savings 7.5m

3. Vernon Butler - Dead cap 1m; Cap savings 6.8m

4. Quinton Jefferson - Dead cap 1.5m; Cap savings 6.5m

5. Mario Addison - Dead cap 4m; Cap savings 6.1m

6. Micah Hyde - Dead cap 1.6m; Cap savings 5.2m  

7. Mitch Morse - Dead cap 5.5m; Cap savings 4.8m

8. Lee Smith - Dead cap 0;  Cap savings 2.25m

Imo, you absolutely cut ties with 1 thru 4. These are guys whose value to the team does not exceed the cap savings we would attain by letting them go.  This would equate to about $29m in cap savings.  Add in 5 thru 8 (excluding Hyde; too valuable to team to cut) and we're at a cool 42m of cap savings.  These players can all be replaced in the draft or cheaper route in FA.

Sooner or later, Jerry Hughes is going to lose a step. Until he does, cutting him (or Hyde) for such a small savings is nuts.

Lotulelei will be back, and that will make one of our interior DLs expendable. Cut more of them than that and you'll just have to pay similar money to replace them. They run a platoon. So they need four starter quality interior DLs and four starter quality exterior DLs.

And your list includes the dead cap and yet your calculations do not.

More, you're blithely assuming you can replace these guy in the draft or cheaper. A little bit cheaper, yeah, maybe. But bringing in guys who wouldn't be less effective especially in year one is not going to be nearly as easy or as cheap as you assume.

Several of these guys will almost certainly go. The likelihood of all, or even most, going is far less.

16 hours ago, bills6969 said:

If you actually read my post you would know that I wasn’t suggesting we cut all these guys. I was just pointing out the potential cap savings we could get with cutting these players.  With Hyde,  I specifically pointed out that he was too valuable to cut.  Reading comprehension is not your strong suit I guess.

I read you’re post, but you didn’t come up with the replacements, and then how much are the first four or more replacements going to cost.  

16 hours ago, bills6969 said:

If you actually read my post you would know that I wasn’t suggesting we cut all these guys. I was just pointing out the potential cap savings we could get with cutting these players.  With Hyde,  I specifically pointed out that he was too valuable to cut.  Reading comprehension is not your strong suit I guess.

IMO it ain't so much his reading comprehension as your very unclear writing.

Your last sentence is, "These players can all be replaced in the draft or cheaper route in FA." That could easily be read to mean that you think all eight of them should go because they could easily be replaced.

It isn't certain that the Cap will be at the floor of $175 million. 

Within a couple of years, there are going to be new TV deals negotiated with many of the networks, and with the ratings for the NFL being very good, if not great, there will be a lot more money available within about 3 years, and some of it will arrive sooner (after 2021 Fox will have to sign a new deal).

Imho, there are too many teams in 'cap hell', (or at least immediately over the cap) if the number stays at $175m , that the NFL will likely be prepared to come up some.

I also think they will be forced to, to an extent, by the NFLPA.

I don't think they will stick to this year's figure of $195m (iirc), but I can see them compromise to where it gets up from the floor to around $185m.

Without looking the numbers up, I think that that extra $10 million, will lift quite a few teams out of immediate 'cap hell', to a point where they will at least be able to largely maintain their rosters.

Imho, the Bills will probably be trying to do a fair few re-structures, in the first instance.

I would also say, that given this years success, there are a fair few guys who will view that favourably, assuming it is done in such a way that means they can't lose out from it. It would also be in their own best interests to do so, as I think FA this off season is going to be feast or famine. i.e. some guys will get some big bucks, but the 'mid tier' FA will be gone the way of the dinosaur for 2021.

It would be really cool if we had threads that were centered around who we would bring in to specifically replace a perceived under performing player and then show the difference in costs between those two players, vs let’s cut the whole defensive line to save money with no real forethought of how to replace the talent and scheme knowledge that just got blown up in that scenario....  

what am I saying, that’s never gonna happen.... 😁

Go Bills!!!

10 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

Addison 100% should go. The rest of them all have pros and cons but there's no question with Addison. Terrible signing.

The problem is Addison's cap hit...it is either a dead cap of 4M or a  cut-cap of 6M.   Since we have already let Murphy go, we definitely have to have a backup DE and Addison would play that role at 6M.  This is with even if we go after a FA DE or a high Draft pick

20 hours ago, BeastMode54 said:

I don't think, even though it makes sense, to have a mass cutting of players. We have a great culture and the team really seems to bond and get along with each other. I'd be worried it would mess up the teams chemistry a little or thoughts about the FO. maybe Im overthinking this as some of them have only been here a year. 

I hear you, but the culture doesn't stop with this crew. It feeds itself with who's left. It'll keep regenerating. It might manifest in different ways, but it can be maintained.

Brown is gone. I think they cut 1 of Butler/Jefferson. I think Addison stays. Morse is a question mark. Hyde isn't going anywhere, he's underpaid IMO. Hughes retires a Bill. He's still useful. 

Morse is a good player but they have to design a running game that fits his talents. Get him out in space. Very athletic center.