Deshaun Watson officially requests trade from Houston

Process

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If Watson really won't play for Houston this would be a very attractive offer IMO.  Three 1st round picks and one of the best RB's in the NFL.

I would take it and then draft Fields if he’s there at 8

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would take it and then draft Fields if he’s there at 8

Have to believe the Jets can put together a much more attractive package; not sure how important it is to Houston to send him to the NFC.

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Have to believe the Jets can put together a much more attractive package; not sure how important it is to Houston to send him to the NFC.

It seemed important to them to send Hopkins out of the AFC.  And Watson won't agree to be traded to the Jets anyway.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Christian McCaffrey's response: What did I do wrong that I am being punished for B👁️b's sins and Watson'$ pocketbook?

monsters_vs_aliens_290_195_80.jpg

Dr. Cockroach Ph.D. : [about B.O.B]  Forgive him, but as you can see, he has no brain.

B.O.B. : Turns out, you don't need one. Totally overrated! As a matter of fact, I don't even...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

No, which why I’m not saying that he will or will not accept a trade to NY.  I don’t know why he wouldn’t, but who knows?

The Jets are almost as much of a dumpster fire as the Texans are and would have to give up several picks.  Why would he want to go there?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

The Jets are almost as much of a dumpster fire as the Texans are and would have to give up several picks.  Why would he want to go there?

Maybe he likes the coach and GM?  The Jets are turning things around and would be competitive very quickly with Watson.  They could trade both ones this year and a 2 this year, plus a first next year, and still have a full complement of picks both years (other than not having a one this year).  They have a lot of holes, but they also have some pretty good pieces already.

9 hours ago, mannc said:

Maybe he likes the coach and GM?  The Jets are turning things around and would be competitive very quickly with Watson.  They could trade both ones this year and a 2 this year, plus a first next year, and still have a full complement of picks both years (other than not having a one this year).  They have a lot of holes, but they also have some pretty good pieces already.

They haven't done anything other than hire new coaches.  And Watson already intimated that he wouldn't want to play for them.

10 hours ago, mannc said:

I agree. The pick situation is such that the Jets can trade three #1s and not leave themselves capital deficient. And he allegedly does like Robert Saleh. However not sure they have that many pieces. He'd inherit a beast of a young LT to protect his blindside, but beyond that not sure there is a lot on the Jets.  There is Crowder as a slot but their WR corps are not great after that - Mims is little more than an incomplete. They have a couple of pieces on D I suppose. I have heard as well that he is not really interested in going there. Think he'd prefer San Fran, Miami or Carolina if they were options. 

17 hours ago, Doc said:

It seemed important to them to send Hopkins out of the AFC.  And Watson won't agree to be traded to the Jets anyway.

Agree, no high level player with a brain wants to be part of the jets organization, especially a QB of Watson’s capacity. That and Watson is trying to get out of a terrible situation, why in gods name would he want to play for the jets, when he can get money playing with any team that wants him. 

On 2/16/2021 at 2:52 PM, GunnerBill said:

Works for me too. One year working with Deshaun Watson and Joe Brady is THE hot NFL Head Coaching candidate in 2022. 

Tim Kelly just got Watson to his best career season, by far.  His reward is to coach under Grandpa Cully

I guess 4-12 in Carolina will look better than 4-12 in Houston?

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tim Kelly just got Watson to his best career season, by far.  His reward is to coach under Grandpa Cully

I guess 4-12 in Carolina will look better than 4-12 in Houston?

Tim Kelly doesn't have the reputation Joe Brady already has. He got interviews this year. I also don't believe Carolina would be 4-12. Put Watson on that team, even minus McCaffrey who missed a large chunk of this year when they went 5-11 and they are a .500 team at worst next season in an NFC with a Falcons team in transition and a Saints team with no Quarterback. 

• Agree 2

23 hours ago, Doc said:

They haven't done anything other than hire new coaches.  And Watson already intimated that he wouldn't want to play for them.

There are a lot of people that love Joe Douglas. He helped build 3 super bowl champions during his scouting career.  He didn’t hire Gase.  While he wasted 2020 by keeping him, he made out like a bandit getting multiple 1st rd picks for a safety.  I like the saleh hire.  I think he’s a great fit for the culture they need to implement.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

There are a lot of people that love Joe Douglas. He helped build 3 super bowl champions during his scouting career.  He didn’t hire Gase.  While he wasted 2020 by keeping him, he made out like a bandit getting multiple 1st rd picks for a safety.  I like the saleh hire.  I think he’s a great fit for the culture they need to implement.

All well and good but they need to produce results.  I still can't see him wanting to join them until they do.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The Jets had a nice draft in 2020 and they are loaded with picks in the next two drafts. They absolutely could have a Dolphin-like turnaround starting in 2021.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I feel the same way I do about Joe Douglas as I do Brian Flores.   To quote Buddy Nix "A lot of people want to tell you about the labor pains.  I say show me the baby."

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

I feel the same way I do about Joe Douglas as I do Brian Flores.   To quote Buddy Nix "A lot of people want to tell you about the labor pains.  I say show me the baby."

Brian Flores has at least shown you a big baby bump. Joe Douglas hasn't even shown you a positive test yet.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Brian Flores has at least shown you a big baby bump. Joe Douglas hasn't even shown you a positive test yet.

Not fair.  Douglas had an impressive career as a pro football scout and executive before becoming the Jests’ GM.  He knows what he’s doing.

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Not fair.  Douglas had an impressive career as a pro football scout and executive before becoming the Jests’ GM.  He knows what he’s doing.

I like Joe Douglas. He is well respected, the people whose opinions I value tell me he is good. But in terms of turning around the Jets he has not shown anything yet. I love the Becton pick and liked a few of his other moves last offseason. I like the Saleh hire. But I was responding to a poster who said he has to show the baby and if your measuring stick is results then he hasn't even shown a positive pregnancy test in that regard. 

28 minutes ago, mannc said:

The same could be said for many GMs who failed...

The proof is in the results

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I hear ya.  The guy only had one draft and one full offseason so far.  I thought he had a good draft last year and was saddled with Gase.  Idk if he was told to keep Gase or not, either way, his team had no chance being coached by that buffoon.  

we’ll see how he does this year, but his track record as a scout is stellar.  

Flores at season, he coached a team that many thought would win zero games....and he won 5.  He followed that by winning 11 games.  He may not have shown us the baby, but it’s clear he has Miami headed in the right direction.  

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya.  The guy only had one draft and one full offseason so far.  I thought he had a good draft last year and was saddled with Gase.  Idk if he was told to keep Gase or not, either way, his team had no chance being coached by that buffoon.  

we’ll see how he does this year, but his track record as a scout is stellar.  

Flores at season, he coached a team that many thought would win zero games....and he won 5.  He followed that by winning 11 games.  He may not have shown us the baby, but it’s clear he has Miami headed in the right direction.  

Douglas got two firsts and a third for a safety and he picked a franchise LT with the 11th overall pick, and the rest of his first draft was pretty good, too.  That's a hell of a start.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

You don’t think Flores looks like one of the best coaches in the NFL? What Miami has done in 2 years is kinda amazing. 

19 minutes ago, mannc said:

Douglas got two firsts and a third for a safety and he picked a franchise LT with the 11th overall pick, and the rest of his first draft was pretty good, too.  That's a hell of a start.

It’s wild but this garbage division might become really good again and the Pats might be the worst team in it. Wild times. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They can't bring him back.  He'll make it almost impossible for Tua.

I agree that it might be tough for Tua, but they have to have a back-up, right?  And I doubt they want to go into the season with Tua and some late-round rookie or unproven vet as a backup...If I'm Flores, I try to keep Fitz around, just in case Tua flames out, assuming they don't use a first round pick on a QB this year.  

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You don’t think Flores looks like one of the best coaches in the NFL? What Miami has done in 2 years is kinda amazing. 

Ehh, year and a half, with a bad downturn the 2nd half of this year.

I'm less impressed with him now than I was when the 2020 season started. But he could still turn it around.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

I agree that it might be tough for Tua, but they have to have a back-up, right?  And I doubt they want to go into the season with Tua and some late-round rookie or unproven vet as a backup...If I'm Flores, I try to keep Fitz around, just in case Tua flames out, assuming they don't use a first round pick on a QB this year.  

Sure they have to have a backup but it can't be Fitz.  

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ehh, year and a half, with a bad downturn the 2nd half of this year.

I'm less impressed with him now than I was when the 2020 season started. But he could still turn it around.

They started 1-3 and after that only lost to the two best teams in the AFC and Denver. He is a good coach IMO.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sure they have to have a backup but it can't be Fitz.  

I agree it shouldn't be Fitz. But I am not 100% sure it won't be.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree it shouldn't be Fitz. But I am not 100% sure it won't be.

I am and I'll bet good money on it.  For starters, I don't think Fitz would return anyway because they'll be trying to start Tua.  Second of all, if he goes back, the players will constantly be demanding Fitz play whenever Tua screws up.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They started 1-3 and after that only lost to the two best teams in the AFC and Denver. He is a good coach IMO.

He did a tremendous job in 2019, winning five games with a roster worthy of winning two.  I think he completely butchered the situation at QB in 2020, and his team appeared to quit against the Bills in the season finale with a playoff spot on the line.  He still has much to prove.

• Like (+1) 1