What if the Bills had scored before halftime?

This game could have played out differently. Looking back on it 48 hours later, a different decision before halftime could have changed the game.

None of this "what if" scenario even factors in the Singletary drop or the idea of the defense just getting one stop on one of KC's scoring drives.

0:11 - 2nd. 4th & Goal at KC 2. Bills go for it and score, kick XP.

5:49 - 3rd. 4th & 3 at KC 8. Bills go for it and score, kick XP.

13:20 - 4th. 2nd & 10 at KC 20. John Brown catches the ball at KC 12. Bills go on to score and convert two-point conversion.

31-31. In real life, Chiefs and Bills then traded TDs. 38-38, ball to Chiefs at 4:08 - 4th.

The Bills could have done this. Imagine: they then get an interception, throw a strike and go up 45-38. Defense holds on final possession. Bills go to Super Bowl.

It's very easy to imagine it playing out this way. It could have played out this way, with the players we currently have and despite the game plan leaving much to be desired on both sides of the ball. The whole "KC would've responded differently if we had scored those TDs" rebuttal won't really work, because KC scored on all of their possessions surrounding these anyway and I haven't taken any points away from them here. If anything, our offense getting TDs might have sparked our defense to come up with a stop.

I think if we play this game 10 times, we win 3 or so.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Playing scared was a bad decision...........I gave McD too much credit........I really didn't expect him to actually turtle up like that again.    

Guess the lessons learned in the WC last year and in so many unnecessarily close games earlier this season were lost after a long winning streak that coincided with an aggressive mindset.

Sounds like McD regrets it so hopefully lesson is hardwired in now.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Playing scared was a bad decision...........I gave McD too much credit........I really didn't expect him to actually turtle up like that again.    

Guess the lessons learned in the WC last year and in so many unnecessarily close games earlier this season were lost after a long winning streak that coincided with an aggressive mindset.

Sounds like McD regrets it so hopefully lesson is hardwired in now.

I think he just had absolutely no confidence we'd convert those 4th downs after we used that nice 4th down play earlier in the game...he had to know our defense wasn't stopping anyone lol

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

This game could have played out differently. Looking back on it 48 hours later, a different decision before halftime could have changed the game.

None of this "what if" scenario even factors in the Singletary drop or the idea of the defense just getting one stop on one of KC's scoring drives.

0:11 - 2nd. 4th & Goal at KC 2. Bills go for it and score, kick XP.

5:49 - 3rd. 4th & 3 at KC 8. Bills go for it and score, kick XP.

13:20 - 4th. 2nd & 10 at KC 20. John Brown catches the ball at KC 12. Bills go on to score and convert two-point conversion.

31-31. In real life, Chiefs and Bills then traded TDs. 38-38, ball to Chiefs at 4:08 - 4th.

The Bills could have done this. Imagine: they then get an interception, throw a strike and go up 45-38. Defense holds on final possession. Bills go to Super Bowl.

It's very easy to imagine it playing out this way. It could have played out this way, with the players we currently have and despite the game plan leaving much to be desired on both sides of the ball. The whole "KC would've responded differently if we had scored those TDs" rebuttal won't really work, because KC scored on all of their possessions surrounding these anyway and I haven't taken any points away from them here. If anything, our offense getting TDs might have sparked our defense to come up with a stop.

I think if we play this game 10 times, we win 3 or so.

It’s a stretch to think that even if we did go for it on all those possessions that we’d convert on every single one.  

people like to Monday morning QB this to death. but I don’t think we convert either 4th down.  i don’t even think Allen gets a clean pass off and if he does our receivers we’re blanketed.  

Go ahead and kill McDermott, but we lose that game 10 out of 10 times.  Chiefs are just better right now, and beat us twice to prove the point.

• Like (+1) 3

If we had a good goal line play and shown some evidence that we could execute it, McDermott would have gone for it.

I didn't like the FGs better than anyone else, but the truth is they weren't likely to convert. The FGs just delayed the inevitable.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think he just had absolutely no confidence we'd convert those 4th downs after we used that nice 4th down play earlier in the game...he had to know our defense wasn't stopping anyone lol

But he had confidence in stopping the chiefs!!  Bwhahaha.  He put the game in the defenses hands and he laid the price.  He shriveled up and took the ball away from the guy that got you here and let the D decide the game.  In a game where the Frazier and d was being eaten alive by Reid.  

I was shocked when he kicked the 2nd fg.  The first one I thought “stopping the bleeding.  A definite Mcdermott thing to do”.  I didn’t agree with it, but I was shocked

tne 2nd fg was lunacy.

going for 2 to cut the lead to 15 when we could’ve gone down 16 .......what was I missing?  How was that a good idea. I was flummoxed.  Still am.  

hopefully he continues to evolve as a HC

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But he had confidence in stopping the chiefs!!  Bwhahaha.  He put the game in the defenses hands and he laid the price.  He shriveled up and took the ball away from the guy that got you here and let the D decide the game.  In a game where the Frazier and d was being eaten alive by Reid.  

I was shocked when he kicked the 2nd fg.  The first one I thought “stopping the bleeding.  A definite Mcdermott thing to do”.  I didn’t agree with it, but I was shocked

tne 2nd fg was lunacy.

going for 2 to cut the lead to 15 when we could’ve gone down 16 .......what was I missing?  How was that a good idea. I was flummoxed.  Still am.  

hopefully he continues to evolve as a HC

Oh no he had no confidence in anything 🤣...maybe he figured we could stop them on a couple drives if we kept everything in front of us but we couldn't even do that lol 

They just straight up whooped us across the board...idk why I thought they were just going through the motions assuming they were gonna skate into the super bowl and we were gonna catch them napping lol they were all over us 

Of course it's a stretch (because it didn't happen!), of course it's make believe, of course it's a "What if" scenario. The thread title does begin with "What if..."

But those three scenarios could've easily played out differently, obviously -- they were a lot closer to happening than Hill being struck by lightning or the Queen growing balls. Looking at the drive chart, it's easy to see a lot closer of a game.

First, how could John Brown have caught that ball. It was deflected. The Athletic put an article up about it.

The bottom line is that the reason most of those plays you are talking about fell for the Chiefs is that the Chiefs were better. More experienced, and they had Kelce and Hill and nobody can guard both, much less when Mahomes is the one throwing to them.

I wanted them to go for that. But it wasn't the reason things happened the way they did.

IMO if we'd gotten closer the Chiefs could have stepped it up. I think if they played 10 games we might win one, maybe. Maybe.

Edited by Thurman#1

KC was/is a better team right now. The Bills had a fantastic season but their is a gap between the Chiefs and Bills that Beane/McDermott must close if the Bills want to beat KC in the playoffs. Even if the Bills scored a TD before half they still would have lost the game. KC outplayed them. Simple as that.