Mock Draft Simulator - channel your inner Brandon Beane and have fun

On 3/1/2021 at 5:36 PM, NewEra said:

Can we please not select Jabril Cox with our 3rd rd pick?  

He won’t be there IRL. No use pretending he will be.

Why? I’ve not seen anything predicting before day 2 and as a raw 23 year old... I’m assuming he’s 3rd round or later. Nothing against the player. He could be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd but won’t be surprised if he isn’t 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why? I’ve not seen anything predicting before day 2 and as a raw 23 year old... I’m assuming he’s 3rd round or later. Nothing against the player. He could be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd but won’t be surprised if he isn’t 

I’ll be extremely shocked if he’s there for our pick in rd 3.  I’ll be somewhat shocked if he’s there at 62.  

people can do whatever they want, it’s their mock draft. It’s just not realistic imo.  I don’t see anyone projecting him as a 4th rd pick and our 3rd pick is basically a 4th rd pick.  I’ve seen crazier things happen, but I don’t see him being a guy that slides.  I think he’s a mid to late 2nd rd guy that could go 30-45 because of teams need for an off ball lb than can cover and has length

• Agree 1

Zaven Collins

LB Tulsa

Greg Newsome II

CB Northwestern

Tommy Tremble

TE Notre Dame

Chuba Hubbard

RB Oklahoma State

Anthony Schwartz

WR Auburn

Tariq Thompson

S San Diego State

Justin Hilliard

LB Ohio State

Darren Hall

CB San Diego State

• Like (+1) 1

Okay so I did one this morning that I thought worked out really nicely. It was a lot of moving around the board but it is the kind of approach I think makes sense for the Bills this year. We are a team with no absolute startling, glaring needs, but lots of areas where we can make incremental gains. I now have enough of a board of my own to be able to use that to guide myself to value. So here is what I did

PICK #37 - Alex Leatherwood, Offensive Tackle, Alabama - yep, I traded down from #30 allowing the Eagles to come up and select Kadarius Toney. I considered taking Toney but there were 6 players still on the board I had decent grades on and I picked up #70 as well, while giving the Eagles #162. I think in real life you would get better value on that trade back. I like Leatherwood as an option for the Bills because it doesn't matter which if any of the free agents on the offensive line you keep, he can fill the gap. Leatherwood's ideal NFL home is right tackle, but he could start at guard and I also think in a pinch he'd be serviceable at left tackle and the Bills need some insurance for Dion Dawkins with Nsekhe (their backup LT the last two years) walking as a FA. 

PICK #70 - Patrick Jones, Edge, Pittsburgh - where is pick #61 you say? I traded down again from #61 to pick up #101, #103 and #140. Again I looked at the board, knowing I had pick #70 in my pocket from the first trade down and the value at #61 was all offensive tackles (the Rams came up and selected Eichenberg) which I have already addressed. So I slid back, pocketed the three picks with the sole intention of using them as ammunition to target specific guys in trade ups later. Jones would be great value at #70 and edge rusher remains the Bills #1 need. He has 31 sacks in his three years starting in college. 

PICK #80 - Dyami Brown, Wide Receiver, North Carolina - two trades back and now a trade up. After picking Jones I had Elijah Moore and Dyami Brown both still on the board and decided the second one was gone I was going to try and get up for the other. Moore went at pick #77 and it took me a couple of teams to find a willing trade partner but I gave the Raiders #93 (my original 3rd rounder) and #103 (one of the picks I got back in the trade down from #61) to move up to #80 and get #246 thrown in too. The Bills have to keep stacking talented receivers if they are going to run a pro spread variant with so much 4 and 5 wide. Call it the Steelers model. Brown is not a burner but he plays faster than he runs and he has a well rounded NFL skillset. 

PICK #101 - Kelvin Joseph, Corner, Kentucky - this is one of the picks I got from my trade down from #61 and I used it to snag Kelvin Joseph. This is a pick I'm not sure is all that realistic. A lot of people are higher on Joseph than this and I'd be surprised if he lasted into round 4. That said, he fills a need opposite Tre White and would start early in my view. 

PICK #127 - Tony Fields II, Linebacker, West Virginia - remember I said the first two trades back were to set up trade ups for guys I'd targeted? Fields fits the bill. I gave up #140, #175 and #214 to get up to this spot. Here is your Matt Milano v2.0. Has played as a middle linebacker at WV but projects as a WILL in the NFL. He might sit behind AJ Klein early, but by the end of his rookie year Fields would be the starter. 

PICK #234 - Lorenzo Neal, Defensive Tackle, Purdue - this is the only pick I made with a pick the Bills have going into the draft. Neal isn't the biggest, but I see him as a developmental 1 tech who isn't going to just eat space but will push the pocket as well. Might need a year on the practice squad first but potentially helps the interior d line rotation. 

PICK #246 - Tommy Kraemer, Guard, Notre Dame - I just picked Kraemrer to get @H2o to like my post.... ;) but seriously he would be a steal here. He is a bit scheme specific he needs to play in a scheme where he just blocks the guy in front of him but he is a mauler and he has a chance to be a starting guard in the NFL. Again, like Neal, might not be a guy you count on year 1, but has some developmental potential. 

I mean if that was our actual draft I think I'd be doing virtual cartwheels. but I do think it is the sort of strategy that makes sense for the Bills. If they don't think there is a true difference maker at #30, slide back a few spots, pick up some capital and use it later in the draft to manipulate the board so that you can make value fit need and get up for certain guys. I think my first 5 picks would all be solid contributors as rookies and Jones, Brown and Joseph have potential to develop into difference makers long term. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Okay so I did one this morning that I thought worked out really nicely. It was a lot of moving around the board but it is the kind of approach I think makes sense for the Bills this year. We are a team with no absolute startling, glaring needs, but lots of areas where we can make incremental gains. I now have enough of a board of my own to be able to use that to guide myself to value. So here is what I did

PICK #37 - Alex Leatherwood, Offensive Tackle, Alabama - yep, I traded down from #30 allowing the Eagles to come up and select Kadarius Toney. I considered taking Toney but there were 6 players still on the board I had decent grades on and I picked up #70 as well, while giving the Eagles #162. I think in real life you would get better value on that trade back. I like Leatherwood as an option for the Bills because it doesn't matter which if any of the free agents on the offensive line you keep, he can fill the gap. Leatherwood's ideal NFL home is right tackle, but he could start at guard and I also think in a pinch he'd be serviceable at left tackle and the Bills need some insurance for Dion Dawkins with Nsekhe (their backup LT the last two years) walking as a FA. 

PICK #70 - Patrick Jones, Edge, Pittsburgh - where is pick #61 you say? I traded down again from #61 to pick up #101, #103 and #140. Again I looked at the board, knowing I had pick #70 in my pocket from the first trade down and the value at #61 was all offensive tackles (the Rams came up and selected Eichenberg) which I have already addressed. So I slid back, pocketed the three picks with the sole intention of using them as ammunition to target specific guys in trade ups later. Jones would be great value at #70 and edge rusher remains the Bills #1 need. He has 31 sacks in his three years starting in college. 

PICK #80 - Dyami Brown, Wide Receiver, North Carolina - two trades back and now a trade up. After picking Jones I had Elijah Moore and Dyami Brown both still on the board and decided the second one was gone I was going to try and get up for the other. Moore went at pick #77 and it took me a couple of teams to find a willing trade partner but I gave the Raiders #93 (my original 3rd rounder) and #103 (one of the picks I got back in the trade down from #61) to move up to #80 and get #246 thrown in too. The Bills have to keep stacking talented receivers if they are going to run a pro spread variant with so much 4 and 5 wide. Call it the Steelers model. Brown is not a burner but he plays faster than he runs and he has a well rounded NFL skillset. 

PICK #101 - Kelvin Joseph, Corner, Kentucky - this is one of the picks I got from my trade down from #61 and I used it to snag Kelvin Joseph. This is a pick I'm not sure is all that realistic. A lot of people are higher on Joseph than this and I'd be surprised if he lasted into round 4. That said, he fills a need opposite Tre White and would start early in my view. 

PICK #127 - Tony Fields II, Linebacker, West Virginia - remember I said the first two trades back were to set up trade ups for guys I'd targeted? Fields fits the bill. I gave up #140, #175 and #214 to get up to this spot. Here is your Matt Milano v2.0. Has played as a middle linebacker at WV but projects as a WILL in the NFL. He might sit behind AJ Klein early, but by the end of his rookie year Fields would be the starter. 

PICK #234 - Lorenzo Neal, Defensive Tackle, Purdue - this is the only pick I made with a pick the Bills have going into the draft. Neal isn't the biggest, but I see him as a developmental 1 tech who isn't going to just eat space but will push the pocket as well. Might need a year on the practice squad first but potentially helps the interior d line rotation. 

PICK #246 - Tommy Kraemer, Guard, Notre Dame - I just picked Kraemrer to get @H2o to like my post.... ;) but seriously he would be a steal here. He is a bit scheme specific he needs to play in a scheme where he just blocks the guy in front of him but he is a mauler and he has a chance to be a starting guard in the NFL. Again, like Neal, might not be a guy you count on year 1, but has some developmental potential. 

I mean if that was our actual draft I think I'd be doing virtual cartwheels. but I do think it is the sort of strategy that makes sense for the Bills. If they don't think there is a true difference maker at #30, slide back a few spots, pick up some capital and use it later in the draft to manipulate the board so that you can make value fit need and get up for certain guys. I think my first 5 picks would all be solid contributors as rookies and Jones, Brown and Joseph have potential to develop into difference makers long term. 

:thumbsup: respect from the resident TSW Notre Dame homer :lol:

By the way, I like the draft. Leatherwood, Jones, Fields, Joseph, this would be rock solid imo. 

Edited by H2o

16 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Extremely shocked is an opinion. If you ran a mock with us getting Epanesa in the 2nd last year I would have been extremely shocked. 

Yeah.....it’s my opinion.  Just like the majority of the thoughts I post here are. Now we will wait and see where Cox is drafted.  I have an opinion, that he won’t be available for our pick in rd 2.  I have an extreme opinion that he won’t be available for us in rd 3

I had epenesa as a 2nd rd guy.  I’m one of those guys that probably puts too much stock in the combine.  Not necessarily the numbers and times, more of how a guy looks out there running running around. Epenesa, imo, had one of the worst combines in memory.  I didn’t think that he belonged out there with the edge rushers.  I thought he looked like an OL

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Great draft. This is exactly what I think the Bills should do.  1-2 trade downs early on.  Right now, we have 3 picks in the first 4 rounds.  I’d like to trade down (1 or 2 times) so we can acquire picks and have 5 players drafted before round 5 starts.  

You have 3 of my darlings selected too.

Jones is my guy. Love everything about the kid.   If he’s there around 62, I hope he’s the pick.  

Brown is my ideal WR in rd 3.  I’d rather have Elijah Moore, but I don’t think there’s much of a chance of him lasting. 

Fields is the reason I hope to acquire a 4th rd pick.  3 might be too early for him, but I love this guys game and agree, he’s our next Milano. If we bypass on selecting Milanos replacement in rds 1–3, I hope we can find a way to snag him

Messed around and traded back a few times.  I don’t remember the logistics of the trades, but I ended up trading next years 5,6 and 7 to make it all work.

57- Brevin Jordan- TE- Miami

63- Patrick Jones- DE- Pitt

76- Spencer Brown- OT Northern Iowa

78- Tyler Shelvin- DT LSU

79- Tylan Wallace- WR Okla St

88-  Michael Carter- RB UNC

160- Trill Williams- CB Syracuse 

201- Chris Rumph- Edge/LB- Puke

While I didn’t land the replacement for Milano, the offense added 3 playmakers that would produce immediately and take our O to the next level while adding our potential starting RT, DT, DE.  

I don’t think Wallace or Carter have much of a chance fall to 79 and 88, but the rest of the picks are possible imo

Playing with a couple of trades.

30 for 53,85,100 and 216 from Titans.

53. Basham Edge Wake

61. J. Cox LB LSU

85. B. Jordan TE Miam

93. Trade for 95 and 2022 7th Bears

95. T. Shelvin DT LSU

100. R. Stevenson RB Oaklahoma

162. D. Lanoire CB Oregon

175. J. Anderson OG Texas Tech

214. J. Morrissey OC Pitt

216. C. Triumph Edge Duke

234. O. Griffin CB USC

As for RB Stevenson.. Something about a 6' 240lb RB with 4.5/4.6 40 sounds nice these days... 

Not sure how O. Griffin was there? Think he goes much earlier than that.... But I'll take it..

Thought about earlier OL, but think they get a deal done with William's and Mongo and Ford coming back. Not sure if they'll prioritize OL..

Extra edge and oline at the end. Give them a year and maybe take over for Morse and Mongo next year..

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Playing with a couple of trades.

30 for 53,85,100 and 216 from Titans.

53. Basham Edge Wake

61. J. Cox LB LSU

85. B. Jordan TE Miam

93. Trade for 95 and 2022 7th Bears

95. T. Shelvin DT LSU

100. R. Stevenson RB Oaklahoma

162. D. Lanoire CB Oregon

175. J. Anderson OG Texas Tech

214. J. Morrissey OC Pitt

216. C. Triumph Edge Duke

234. O. Griffin CB USC

Thoughts?

I'm thinking 11 draft picks could be too many. On the plus side the lower salaries would help us keep under the cap and maybe sign two higher priced free agents. But on the negative side, we had a super bowl caliber team last year which means most the players on the roster performed well. Having 11 new rookies means either a good portion of those rookies don't make the team or we roll the dice by letting go some good players from last years roster so that these young guys can make the 53 man roster. 

9 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I'm thinking 11 draft picks could be too many. On the plus side the lower salaries would help us keep under the cap and maybe sign two higher priced free agents. But on the negative side, we had a super bowl caliber team last year which means most the players on the roster performed well. Having 11 new rookies means either a good portion of those rookies don't make the team or we roll the dice by letting go some good players from last years roster so that these young guys can make the 53 man roster. 

Thanks. At first I was thinking along that line of too many, but then one of my thoughts was we have what 14 FA's? Not including the cuts I think will happen like Brown, Jefferson and Butler. Maybe time to fill the roster and save some cap. Out of them I would only bring 4- 6 back (if deals can get done) William's, Mckensie,  Boroquez, Boetteger, Mongo and maybe Wallace. The rest in my opinion can be replaced. Most even by rookies the way they were used or played... Appreciate the reply... Being in S. Florida this forum is about all I get from fellow Bill's fans...

Traded 30 & 162 for 34 & 86

Greg Newsome II

CB Northwestern

Liam Eichenberg

OT Notre Dame

Jamin Davis

LB Kentucky

Joe Tryon

EDGE Washington

Anthony Schwartz

WR Auburn

Khyiris Tonga

DT BYU

Max Duffy

P Kentucky

Zaven Collins

LB Tulsa

Carlos Basham Jr.

EDGE Wake Forest

Chuba Hubbard

RB Oklahoma State

Cam Sample

DT Tulane

Anthony Schwartz

WR Auburn

Drake Jackson

OC Kentucky

Justin Hilliard

LB Ohio State

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope Zaven Collins falls to us... it seems like a pipe dream, but that would be awesome!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1