Next weeks game times, based on last yrs playoffs

Estro

Looking at last yrs. Divisional weekend games both #1 seeds got the Saturday games.  NFC #1 seed had the 4:35PM game, AFC #1 seed had the 8:15PM game.

Both #2 seeds got the Sunday games. AFC #2 seed had the early 3:05PM game & NFC #2 had the 6:40PM game.  Obviously mass appeal plays a large part in scheduling these games, but based on last yr. Id predict the following:

Saturday:

4:35PM Rams @ Packers

8:15PM Browns/Ravens @ Chiefs

Sunday:

3:05PM Ravens/Steelers @ Bills

6:40PM Buccaneers @ Saints

I do think the NFL tends to give the #1 seeds the Saturday games which gives them the rest advantage going into the Championship Round.

We should know for sure here in a few hours.  

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Estro said:

Looking at last yrs. Divisional weekend games both #1 seeds got the Saturday games.  NFC #1 seed had the 4:35PM game, AFC #1 seed had the 8:15PM game.

Both #2 seeds got the Sunday games. AFC #2 seed had the early 3:05PM game & NFC #2 had the 6:40PM game.  Obviously mass appeal plays a large part in scheduling these games, but based on last yr. Id predict the following:

Saturday:

Sunday:

I do think the NFL tends to give the #1 seeds the Saturday games which gives them the rest advantage going into the Championship Round.

I’m curious why they even do it this way. Why don’t they have all AFC teams play on the same day so that there is never an advantage when it comes to rest.

Not complaining, as the bills are going to have that advantage this week. That said, you’d think the NFL would want to be as fair as possible about this. If they had each conference’s teams play on the same day this wouldn’t even be an issue.

Would love to hear anyone’s thoughts about why the NFL does this when they try so hard to be fair?

4 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

I’m curious why they even do it this way. Why don’t they have all AFC teams play on the same day so that there is never an advantage when it comes to rest.

Not complaining, as the bills are going to have that advantage this week. That said, you’d think the NFL would want to be as fair as possible about this. If they had each conference’s teams play on the same day this wouldn’t even be an issue.

Would love to hear anyone’s thoughts about why the NFL does this when they try so hard to be fair?

probably has to do with TV network rights—but that’s just speculation. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BTB said:

I'm not sure of the point of this thread.  If you just wait 5 hours or so, the lineup for next weekend will be released.

But BTB...if we waited for actual facts, what the hell would we talk about?

And ya gotta h/t the OP just for making the effort.

Edited by Dukestreetking
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Look for the Bills in the early Saturday slot if they play the Ravens.  If they play the Steelers, there is an outside chance they could get the Saturday night slot.

CBS only has one AFC divisional this year, with NBC getting the other game.  Expect CBS to lobby to keep Mahomes, especially if it's Jackson v Mahomes.

31 minutes ago, Estro said:

Saturday:

Sunday:

I was going to post about the timing of the games.

I loved the 1 pm start yesterday and that was fine, but honestly going forward if I were in charge next week the two conference games would be played on the same day as not to give an advantage for the following weeks championship game.

so, if Pitt wins (just to make it clear), Saturday (or Sunday’s) games would be Pitt at Buffalo and Baltimore at KC.  If that was the Saturday game then the two nfc games would be on Sunday.

Both championship games would be on Sunday as that wouldn’t make a difference.  

but yeah, I think the breakdown in doing it above is fair.

Additionally, put me under the category of NOBODY getting a bye.  

your advantage in being first is that you are home all the way through and you play the worst opponent each time.

no other major pro sports league gives their top teams a pass in the playoffs and neither should the nfl.

5 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I loved the 1 pm start yesterday and that was fine, but honestly going forward if I were in charge next week the two conference games would be played on the same day as not to give an advantage for the following weeks championship game.

The network breakdown this year is NBC and CBS get 1 AFC game, and FOX gets 2 NFC games.

Should they put the two NFC games on the same day, FOX would have to juggle the late game should the early game go into overtime.  For this reason, they ensure that the two games each day are on different networks.  So, FOX will have a game on Saturday and Sunday, with NBC likely getting a Saturday game and CBS getting the Sunday game (although NBC/CBS could easily flip flop).

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, BTB said:

I'm not sure of the point of this thread.  If you just wait 5 hours or so, the lineup for next weekend will be released.

The same reason we predict the score of Bills games, or predict who they are going to take in the draft, or if the Bills will cover the spread, or who is going to win an election.

Human beings like to guess and speculate.  Sometimes it can be a little silly, but I kind of like predicting whos going to get what time slots. 

You can use your reasoning of why not just wait, for just about anything in life.  I get it, but we wouldn't have a ton to talk about in this forum if we didn't play that game at least a little bit.

The good thing is you're free to not click into posts and respond if its not your thing.

Edited by Estro
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Well. The 1 seeds are already coming off the bye. Giving them the Saturday game doesn't matter to them.  They play the lowest remaining seeds so the lowest seeds get the shortest amount of rest. You are the lowest seed so tough teats.  The higher remaining seeds play Sunday which means they at least get a full week of rest as their reward for being the higher seed. 

The teams who could have been potentially been stuck with a short week this year were Tennessee, Baltimore, Cleveland, and Chicago. At most, 3 of them would possibly have advanced and, at most, 2 of them would have played on short rest. Minimally, one of them would play on short rest.  

15 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

no other major pro sports league gives their top teams a pass in the playoffs and neither should the nfl.

Top seeds in baseball do not have to play for several days and can set up their pitching while the WC play in game is happening.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

The network breakdown this year is NBC and CBS get 1 AFC game, and FOX gets 2 NFC games.

Should they put the two NFC games on the same day, FOX would have to juggle the late game should the early game go into overtime.  For this reason, they ensure that the two games each day are on different networks.  So, FOX will have a game on Saturday and Sunday, with NBC likely getting a Saturday game and CBS getting the Sunday game (although NBC/CBS could easily flip flop).

i don’t think that is a high hurdle to overcome to make things right,  the networks can work it out.

Especially, considering that I am now watching an NFC playoff game on AFC cbs.

32 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Top seeds in baseball do not have to play for several days and can set up their pitching while the WC play in game is happening.

yes, I know, but there is a singular WC game and multiple teams get the benefit...actually 75% of the playoff teams in each league.  The only team disadvantaged is the WC team, and they are just lucky to be there.

The benefit is not reserved for the top seed.

Btw, out of curiosity, do you guys just hate the fairness of the idea?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

i don’t think that is a high hurdle to overcome to make things right,  the networks can work it out.

Especially, considering that I am now watching an NFC playoff game on AFC cbs.

There are outlined in the network contracts.  The reason you see an NFC game on CBS this weekend is that the extra two wild card games were subject to a one-off contract that CBS and NBC won: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/31/nbc-cbs-would-televise-the-two-extra-wild-card-games/

FOX will air the two NFC games next week, and they will be on different days, putting the two AFC games on different days.  I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts :).

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

There are outlined in the network contracts.  The reason you see an NFC game on CBS this weekend is that the extra two wild card games were subject to a one-off contract that CBS and NBC won: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/31/nbc-cbs-would-televise-the-two-extra-wild-card-games/

FOX will air the two NFC games next week, and they will be on different days, putting the two AFC games on different days.  I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts :).

I’ll take that Sulli!

👍

it would be nice in the future. 

1 hour ago, Estro said:

This also gives the most rest possible to the teams that played in the Wc round.  Obviously two still have to play Saturday.   So it gives the most rest possible to all teams.  

Edited by mattynh

12 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Very interesting that they haven't released the schedule yet. Apparently who plays @Chiefs and @Bills has an effect on the schedule? Why? Fascinating.

They never release the full schedule until all games are done with. Chiefs are going to get one of the later games guaranteed. That means the Bills will have one of the early games. 
edit: never been so glad to be wrong. Bills in prime time sat night!

Edited by Billznut