NFLPA Pres seeks to permanently end OTAs and minicamps

StHustle

How do rookies, free agents etc just come in a succeed unless you have workouts in May and June? 

Then start preseason in early August with only 2 Preseason games.

How soon everyone forgets all the chatter and injuries early in the season and many assumptions it was due to lack of workouts and preseason contact.

• Like (+1) 3

I am cool with it too...honestly he is right. There was very little dropoff and rookies managed to integrate pretty well overall.

2 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

How do rookies, free agents etc just come in a succeed unless you have workouts in May and June? 

Then start preseason in early August with only 2 Preseason games.

How soon everyone forgets all the chatter and injuries early in the season and many assumptions it was due to lack of workouts and preseason contact.

I dunno...maybe ask Justin Jefferson

48 minutes ago, StHustle said:

NFLPA President JC Tretter thinks the quality of play hasn't been affected enough to justify ever having minicamps or OTAs ever again. He thinks it's not worth the extra wear and tear on players' bodies.

I never considered these non contact events as being of the wear and tear variety and would rather not see them go. However, I can see both sides of the argument and definitely can't complain about how not having OTAs and minicamps have affected this season considering the Bills are having their best year since the Glory Days.

Your thoughts?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30629360/nflpa-president-jc-tretter-seeks-end-minicamps-otas

Less work hours equals less pay if I’m an owner, 

of course this is just the beginning of the 17/18 game season negotiations...

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

NFLPA President JC Tretter thinks the quality of play hasn't been affected enough to justify ever having minicamps or OTAs ever again. He thinks it's not worth the extra wear and tear on players' bodies.

I never considered these non contact events as being of the wear and tear variety and would rather not see them go. However, I can see both sides of the argument and definitely can't complain about how not having OTAs and minicamps have affected this season considering the Bills are having their best year since the Glory Days.

Your thoughts?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30629360/nflpa-president-jc-tretter-seeks-end-minicamps-otas

Well just as whenever the owners want to change something, they have to give the players back something in return; this is the owners turn if it were to go forward!  Can anybody spell 18 game schedule!

• Like (+1) 1

I am good with getting rid of the OTAs and Mini Camps. I am also good with getting rid of the Preseason. Get me 18 real games. With expanded rosters. 

keep Training camp. And maybe Rookie camp after draft. 

Edited by MAJBobby

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I am good with getting rid of the OTAs and Mini Camps. I am also good with getting rid of the Preseason. Get me 18 real games. With expanded rosters. 

keep Training camp. And maybe Rookie camp after draft. 

Not to nitpick, but rookie camp is a minicamp. 😉

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I am cool with it too...honestly he is right. There was very little dropoff and rookies managed to integrate pretty well overall.

I dunno...maybe ask Justin Jefferson

Since every rookie is a first round pick. You make a good point.

35 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

Not to nitpick, but rookie camp is a minicamp. 😉

Yeah I am good with that being cancelled too. Though I think the PA would allow that one so Rookies have a little time getting acclimated before Training Camp. Remember the PA has in the past not cared about rookies (rookie salary cap)

I’m torn. What about the fans who take their kids to the camps to see their heroes. The families who can’t afford to go to games. This is their only experience to be up close and personal to the players. To get the autographs and photos. To memorialize and share with children and grandchildren. I get the fact that they want less wear and tear on their bodies but think about the people that helps pay their salaries.

Wrong. Sounds like a union doing what unions do: reduce the workload.

OTAs and minicamps are part of the process. They are meaningful to developing players.

For goodness sake, they are non-contact. But they do get players mastery over the upcoming playbook.

• Like (+1) 2