NFL MVP and Weekly NFL Honors

JGMcD2

After Josh won his 4th Offensive Player of the Week Award, I wanted to see how this stacked up to MVP winners in past seasons. While I think it’s highly unlikely Josh beats out Mahomes and Rodgers, he does have an outside shot, so I thought it would be a fun exercise to look at weekly (and monthly) honors and how often past MVP winners won them in their MVP season. I went back and looked at the last 10 MVP seasons for comparison. 

The Last 10 NFL MVPs and Offensive Player of the Week 

2010 NFL MVP Tom Brady had 2 OPW.

Only Michael Vick had more (3). 
Josh Freeman and Aaron’s Rodgers also had 2. 

Brady was the first unanimous MVP this season after receiving 50/50 votes. 

2011 NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers had 3 OPW. 
Brees and Brady also had 3 OPW. 
Roethlisberger, Arian Foster and Ray Rice all had 2. 

Brees (3) was the MVP runner up. Rodgers received 48/50 MVP votes. 

2012 NFL MVP Adrian Peterson had 2 OPW. 
Brady, Manning, and Rodgers all had 2 as well. 

Peyton Manning (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Peterson received 30.5/50 MVP votes. 

2013 NFL MVP Peyton Manning had 3 OPW. 
Drew Brees had 3, while Rivers, Dalton and Foles had 2. 

Brady (1) finished second in the NFL MVP vote. Manning received 49/50 MVP votes. 

2014 NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers had 4 OPW. 
Ryan, Wilson, Roethlisberger, and Justin Forsett all had 2. 

JJ Watt (2) finished 2nd in the MVP voting. Rodgers received 31/50 MVP votes. 

2015 NFL MVP Cam Newton had 5 OPW. 
Mariota, Roethlisberger, Fitzpatrick, Cousins, Brees, E. Manning and Julio Jones all had 2. 

Brady and Palmer finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Newton received 48/50 MVP votes. 

2016 NFL MVP Matt Ryan had 2 OPW.

This was tied with Brady, Rodgers, D. Johnson. Only Jay Ajayi had more (3) in 2016. 

Brady (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote and Derek Carr (1) was tied with Ezekiel Elliot (1) for 3rd. Ryan received 24/50 MVP votes. 

2017 NFL MVP Tom Brady had 3 OPW. This was tied with Todd Gurley for the most in the NFL in 2017. 
Rivers and Wilson both had 2. 

Gurley (3) finished 2nd in the MVP vote and Carson Wentz (1) finished 3rd. Brady received 40/50 MVP votes. 

2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes had 2 OPW. This was tied with Brees, Firzpatrick, Gurley, Roethlisberger and Amari Cooper for the most in the NFL in 2018. 

Brees (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Mahomes received 41/50 MVP votes. 

2019 NFL MVP Lamar Jackson had 5 OPW. This was the most in the NFL in 2019. 
Deshaun Watson finished with 3 AFC OPW and Wilson, Prescott and Aaron Jones finished with 2. 

Lamar Jackson was the unanimous MVP receiving 50/50 MVP votes. 

Offensive Player of the Month and MVPs

Since 2010 9/10 MVPs have won at least 1 Offensive Player of the Month in the season that they were MVP. The only player that didn’t win one was Cam Newton in 2015. 

There have been a few players who have won multiple Offensive Player of the Month awards in the same season but have not won the MVP vote.

Brady (2) in 2011 where Rodgers had 3. 
Manning (2) in 2012 where Peterson had 1. 
D. Murray (2) in 2014 where Rodgers had 1. 
A. Brown (2) in 2015 where Newton had 0. 
Gurley (2) in 2017 where Brady had 1. 

What does this mean in 2020? 

How does 2020 stack up to the last 10 years, it will be interesting to look at. So far we’re through 15 out of 17 weeks in the season. 

Josh currently leads the league with 4 Offensive Player of the Week awards. Kyler Murray also won this week, so he now has 3 on the season. Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson and Dalvin Cook all have 2. Aaron Rodgers, one of the favorites for MVP has 1. 

There have only been 2 players to have sole possession of the most Offensive Player of the Week awards in the NFL and NOT win the MVP in the last 10 years. Michael Vick (3) in 2010, when he lost out to Brady (2) and Jay Ajayi (3) in 2016, when Ryan (2) won the MVP. 

Josh looks to be in line to win potentially win Offensive Player of the Month in December after already winning 2/3 player of the week awards. If he won, it would be his 2nd this season (September). The other current winners are Wilson (September), Brady and Henry (October) and Mahomes and Cook (November). 

If Josh were to win 2 Offensive Player of the Month awards and not win the MVP, he would be the 6th player since 2010 for that to happen to and 5th to have lost to someone with less Player of the Month awards than him. 

He would be the first player dating back to 2010 to have won the most Player of the Week and Player of the Month Awards and not win the MVP. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

For all the work you did, you should be Allen's agent.

I dont recall when MVP is announced.  If it is after the season, Allen is going to have to take the Bills further in the playoffs than Mahomes, he does that he will get the MVP imo.

It’s at the end of the season before the playoffs, results are not announced until the day before the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It’s at the end of the season before the playoffs, results are not announced until the day before the Super Bowl.

Well, then we should actually all hope that Mahomes or Rodgers wins the MVP. Josh does best with a chip on his shoulder and it would be nice going into the big game to have him playing with one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Well, then we should actually all hope that Mahomes or Rodgers wins the MVP. Josh does best with a chip on his shoulder and it would be nice going into the big game to have him playing with one.

this

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

After Josh won his 4th Offensive Player of the Week Award, I wanted to see how this stacked up to MVP winners in past seasons. While I think it’s highly unlikely Josh beats out Mahomes and Rodgers, he does have an outside shot, so I thought it would be a fun exercise to look at weekly (and monthly) honors and how often past MVP winners won them in their MVP season. I went back and looked at the last 10 MVP seasons for comparison. (....)

How does 2020 stack up to the last 10 years, it will be interesting to look at. So far we’re through 15 out of 17 weeks in the season. 

Josh currently leads the league with 4 Offensive Player of the Week awards. Kyler Murray also won this week, so he now has 3 on the season. Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson and Dalvin Cook all have 2. Aaron Rodgers, one of the favorites for MVP has 1. 

There have only been 2 players to have sole possession of the most Offensive Player of the Week awards in the NFL and NOT win the MVP in the last 10 years. Michael Vick (3) in 2010, when he lost out to Brady (2) and Jay Ajayi (3) in 2016, when Ryan (2) won the MVP. 

Josh looks to be in line to win potentially win Offensive Player of the Month in December after already winning 2/3 player of the week awards. If he won, it would be his 2nd this season (September). The other current winners are Wilson (September), Brady and Henry (October) and Mahomes and Cook (November). 

If Josh were to win 2 Offensive Player of the Month awards and not win the MVP, he would be the 6th player since 2010 for that to happen to and 5th to have lost to someone with less Player of the Month awards than him. 

He would be the first player dating back to 2010 to have won the most Player of the Week and Player of the Month Awards and not win the MVP. 

Wow, a lot of footwork there.

Last year, Lamar Jackson won NFL MVP, and went out of the playoffs in the first round.  The Chiefs won the Superbowl, and Patrick Mahomes won Superbowl MVP.

2018 season: Patrick Mahomes won NFL MVP...The Patriots**** won the Superbowl, and Julian Edelman won Superbowl MVP

2017 season: Tom Brady won NFL MVP....The Iggles won the superbowl against the Pats, and Nick Foles won Superbowl MVP.

2016 season: Matt Ryan won NFL MVP....The Patriots**** won the Superbowl, and Tom Brady won Superbowl MVP.

2015 season: Cam Newton won NFL MVP....The Broncos won the Superbowl, and Von Miller won Superbowl MVP.

My takehome: Regular Season MVP looks like an also-ran, Runner Up prize so who gives a rat's buttocks

***** that regular season MVP thing.  Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes can have it.  I want to see that Superbowl win. 

Go for Superbowl MVP, and I'm perfectly fine if Diggs or Dre Roberts or one of our defenders wins it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

MVP is all fine and dandy, but he wants a f****** super bowl ring!😎

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

After Josh won his 4th Offensive Player of the Week Award, I wanted to see how this stacked up to MVP winners in past seasons. While I think it’s highly unlikely Josh beats out Mahomes and Rodgers, he does have an outside shot, so I thought it would be a fun exercise to look at weekly (and monthly) honors and how often past MVP winners won them in their MVP season. I went back and looked at the last 10 MVP seasons for comparison. 

Peyton Manning (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Peterson received 30.5/50 MVP votes. 

Brady (1) finished second in the NFL MVP vote. Manning received 49/50 MVP votes. 

Mariota, Roethlisberger, Fitzpatrick, Cousins, Brees, E. Manning and Julio Jones all had 2. 

This was tied with Brady, Rodgers, D. Johnson. Only Jay Ajayi had more (3) in 2016. 

Brady (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote and Derek Carr (1) was tied with Ezekiel Elliot (1) for 3rd. Ryan received 24/50 MVP votes. 

2017 NFL MVP Tom Brady had 3 OPW. This was tied with Todd Gurley for the most in the NFL in 2017. 

Gurley (3) finished 2nd in the MVP vote and Carson Wentz (1) finished 3rd. Brady received 40/50 MVP votes. 

2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes had 2 OPW. This was tied with Brees, Firzpatrick, Gurley, Roethlisberger and Amari Cooper for the most in the NFL in 2018. 

Deshaun Watson finished with 3 AFC OPW and Wilson, Prescott and Aaron Jones finished with 2. 

Since 2010 9/10 MVPs have won at least 1 Offensive Player of the Month in the season that they were MVP. The only player that didn’t win one was Cam Newton in 2015. 

There have been a few players who have won multiple Offensive Player of the Month awards in the same season but have not won the MVP vote.

Just as an FYI, your original post is unreadable for anyone in Dark Mode. Black text on a deep blue background. 

Just now, Draconator said:

Just as an FYI, your original post is unreadable for anyone in Dark Mode. Black text on a deep blue background. 

How would I fix that? I didn’t change anything at all... I typed everything on my phone. No copy and paste. 

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

How would I fix that? I didn’t change anything at all... I typed everything on my phone. No copy and paste. 

I just changed to Light Mode and was able to read it fine. SDS did a upgrade, just a minor bug to be looked at. You didn't nothing incorrectly. 

35 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I just changed to Light Mode and was able to read it fine. SDS did a upgrade, just a minor bug to be looked at. You didn't nothing incorrectly. 

The place to put these comments is in Scott's thread about the upgrade.  Thanks!

36 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You can't.  Above your paygrade.  Above mine, for that matter.

Adding this in here real quick... they are the stats from 9 out of the last 10 NFL MVPs. I put Peyton Manning (runner-up with 19.5 votes) in for 2012 because it's hard to compare a RB to 9 QBs.

I also included Allen, Rodgers and Mahomes from this season. I projected out the final two games of the 2020 season for all 3 players so that their stats would reflect a complete season. At this point I feel comfortable doing that because all 3 have played 14 games.

1824870366_ScreenShot2020-12-23at11_46_32AM.thumb.png.56b69075c6bbc890aaf096587f0070eb.png

If Josh keeps pace here, we have to start to recognize that this is one of the best single season performances in the last decade by a QB. It's truly remarkable, truthfully Josh could sit out the next two weeks and have a legitimate shot at MVP in past seasons. Unfortunately this year both Rodgers and Mahomes are have seasons that dwarf past MVP seasons as well.

In any other year Josh is most likely the front runner.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The place to put these comments is in Scott's thread about the upgrade.  Thanks!

And I did exactly that. However, if I did just that, and not answer the original posters quote, how would he know that he was all well and good? 

Edited by Draconator

23 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Adding this in here real quick... they are the stats from 9 out of the last 10 NFL MVPs. I put Peyton Manning (runner-up with 19.5 votes) in for 2012 because it's hard to compare a RB to 9 QBs.

I also included Allen, Rodgers and Mahomes from this season. I projected out the final two games of the 2020 season for all 3 players so that their stats would reflect a complete season. At this point I feel comfortable doing that because all 3 have played 14 games.

1824870366_ScreenShot2020-12-23at11_46_32AM.thumb.png.56b69075c6bbc890aaf096587f0070eb.png

If Josh keeps pace here, we have to start to recognize that this is one of the best single season performances in the last decade by a QB. It's truly remarkable, truthfully Josh could sit out the next two weeks and have a legitimate shot at MVP in past seasons. Unfortunately this year both Rodgers and Mahomes are have seasons that dwarf past MVP seasons as well.

In any other year Josh is most likely the front runner.

If he keeps pace it will be one of the best single season performances by a QB ever.

I have a legitimate question and I apologize if someone else has already said it and I missed it, but why is Stefon Diggs not even mentioned in the MVP talk? I realize it's largely become a QB award, but dude is having a monster year and I think a strong argument can be made that JA's success and the team's success this year is related to his presence and play.  Critical third downs, critical touchdowns, drawing coverage away from other guys, in addition to the overall production.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CuseBill said:

I have a legitimate question and I apologize if someone else has already said it and I missed it, but why is Stefon Diggs not even mentioned in the MVP talk? I realize it's largely become a QB award, but dude is having a monster year and I think a strong argument can be made that JA's success and the team's success this year is related to his presence and play.  Critical third downs, critical touchdowns, drawing coverage away from other guys, in addition to the overall production.

If Diggs were to be in consideration then guys like Hopkins and Davante Adams would have to be in consideration as well. 

If you look at their QBs; Rodgers and Murray. Both are considered MVP candidates, Murray is on the periphery, but the consensus is that the QB drives the offense and success of the skill positions around them. 

It’s really a chicken and egg argument IMO, but it seems that the voters have settled on the fact that the QB is more valuable than their supporting cast, no matter the truth behind that. 

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

First off, thanks for that info.  Good work.

The bolded:  in the last 10 years, if you win 2 offensive players of the months awards, there’s about a 50/50 chance you win the MVP 

Josh should win AFC OPW again this week.

3x in 1 month should lock him in for his 2nd AFC OPM award this year. 

Based on my initial post.. it would be absolutely unprecedented if he didn’t win the MVP with 5 OPW and 2 OPM.

He’s a star, but the NFL has a chance to cement him as one if the writers vote for him for MVP.

On 12/23/2020 at 3:09 PM, vanhalen26 said:

MVP is a popularity contest, josh may be a candidate next year but mahomes is already the chosen one this year unfortunately.

Agreed...no one has been more valuable to their team than josh allen has been full stop.  If its the 'who has the best stats on paper' award which is what it seems to have turned into  it should absolutely be mahomes or rodgers.  Can you even imagine what our offense would be like with Travis Kelce to throw to

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2