Josh Allen named AFC Offensive Player of the Week and Fed Ex Air POW

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BigBuff423 said:

The accolade is well due and I have all the faith in Josh and this team that such production, in some measure, will continue. That said, these next two games and the playoffs are "supposed to be" one of the reasons Beane et. al. Drafted Josh Allen. The strong arm and big hands to handle the Buffalo weather.

In his 2+ seasons, although especially this one, we've seen Josh perform better in controlled climates, i.e. domes, or in warm weather stadiums. I, along with many others, have been saying it for at least five years now. With the glut of NFL Offenses now the norm and with all the rule changes intended to aid Offenses in scoring and become stricter on Defenses, building a dome for Josh and this Offense to play in for the next 12-15 years only makes more sense. Not to mention the likelihood of getting a Super Bowl in Buffalo. That was a little off the topic, but IMHO - somewhat related because it seems to directly effect Josh's production. 

Can we give up the dome pipe dream already?    Another pipe dream, a Buffalo Super Bowl.  Dont have the infrastructure, not enough hotel rooms and other venues for the attendees.  Lets not even talk about the weather possibilities.

The Era of these great domed stadium imo has already peaked.  Covid  and technology has positioned domed stadiums to be the future  shopping malls....they will be an anachronism.  

And you sure as hell dont base a billion dollar investment like a stadium based on one player.

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

The accolade is well due and I have all the faith in Josh and this team that such production, in some measure, will continue. That said, these next two games and the playoffs are "supposed to be" one of the reasons Beane et. al. Drafted Josh Allen. The strong arm and big hands to handle the Buffalo weather.

In his 2+ seasons, although especially this one, we've seen Josh perform better in controlled climates, i.e. domes, or in warm weather stadiums. I, along with many others, have been saying it for at least five years now. With the glut of NFL Offenses now the norm and with all the rule changes intended to aid Offenses in scoring and become stricter on Defenses, building a dome for Josh and this Offense to play in for the next 12-15 years only makes more sense. Not to mention the likelihood of getting a Super Bowl in Buffalo. That was a little off the topic, but IMHO - somewhat related because it seems to directly effect Josh's production. 

There is NO chance of a Superbowl in Buffalo even if Pegulas paid for new covered stadium, a nice retirement bonus for commissioner and a new hotel which satisfied T*m Br*dy as member of broadcast team.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Can we give up the dome pipe dream already?    Another pipe dream, a Buffalo Super Bowl.  Dont have the infrastructure, not enough hotel rooms and other venues for the attendees.  Lets not even talk about the weather possibilities.

The Era of these great domed stadium imo has already peaked.  Covid  and technology has positioned domed stadiums to be the future  shopping malls....they will be an anachronism.  

And you sure as hell dont base a billion dollar investment like a stadium based on one player.

We shall agree to disagree. One, it's not a pipe dream when you consider Minnesota and Indy both hosted and even Met Life Stadium hosted as it's an open venue. Second, COVID is not going to stop progress on the whole, IMO, it's just the next hurdle in a line of hurdles the Bills have had to handle over the last 10 years. The ripple effect of a new stadium, specifically a dome, would have on the infrastructure you reference would be significant because any new stadium - dome or otherwise - is going to require that investment. And yes, it is going to happen at some point and I presume sooner rather than later. It's just the cost of business in the NFL. Third, it's not based on "one player", it's based on the long-term trend toward Offenses in the NFL. It also based on the changing generation and being responsive to the fan experience. 

None of us know what the Pegulas will do, but such a huge investment in a stadium without a dome is nonsensical IMHO because the ability to utilize that stadium is impacted tremendously when it remains an outdoor stadium vs. a dome. But, until there is a clear message as to their path, none of us can be sure of anything - that said, I do hope a dome is built for all the reasons previously stated. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It was cold and snowing for the Steelers game, vs the #1 D. The reason I brought up the wind game was because most people agree wind is the weather factor that most affects QBs. Not rain, snow or cold. It’s the wind. While 2 of his 3 worst games this year came in “weather” they also came in weeks 5-8 which was the exact window of time he was playing through the shoulder injury. So I just don’t know if it was the weather, the injury, the opponents or a combination of all. 

I'm not saying you were insinuating this, but my statement wasn't about doubt - it was about Josh still yet to prove it and not because he hasn't when given the opportunity - but the exact point is that he hasn't been given the opportunity YET. 

That changes in a few weeks, and as I said I'm confident he can and will show his superior arm and handling in these conditions, but until he actually does it - the question remains unanswered. That's all. 

26 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Good chance of being true IMO. A 4 TD 300 yard performance in a blow out win of our old arch nemesis in primetime would seal it. We could even sit Allen against Miami and I think he would win it still in that scenario.

I think it’s wishful thinking unless Rogers and Mahomes have sh!t games these last 2 weeks. I just don’t see the voters giving it to the young-gun with no playoff success over the other two who are both regular season MVPs, super-bowl MVPs and Super Bowl champs. 
It would have to be a large margin for JA17 to win it this year. 
But how cool is it that we are even having this discussion?? Wow!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

The Last 10 NFL MVPs and Offensive Player of the Week 

2010 NFL MVP Tom Brady had 2 OPW.

Only Michael Vick had more (3). 
Josh Freeman and Aaron’s Rodgers also had 2. 

Brady was the first unanimous MVP this season after receiving 50/50 votes. 

2011 NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers had 3 OPW. 
Brees and Brady also had 3 OPW. 
Roethlisberger, Arian Foster and Ray Rice all had 2. 

Brees (3) was the MVP runner up. Rodgers received 48/50 MVP votes. 

2012 NFL MVP Adrian Peterson had 2 OPW. 
Brady, Manning, and Rodgers all had 2 as well. 

Peyton Manning (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Peterson received 30.5/50 MVP votes. 

2013 NFL MVP Peyton Manning had 3 OPW. 
Drew Brees had 3, while Rivers, Dalton and Foles had 2. 

Brady (1) finished second in the NFL MVP vote. Manning received 49/50 MVP votes. 

2014 NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers had 4 OPW. 
Ryan, Wilson, Roethlisberger, and Justin Forsett all had 2. 

JJ Watt (2) finished 2nd in the MVP voting. Rodgers received 31/50 MVP votes. 

2015 NFL MVP Cam Newton had 5 OPW. 
Mariota, Roethlisberger, Fitzpatrick, Cousins, Brees, E. Manning and Julio Jones all had 2. 

Brady and Palmer finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Newton received 48/50 MVP votes. 

2016 NFL MVP Matt Ryan had 2 OPW.

This was tied with Brady, Rodgers, D. Johnson. Only Jay Ajayi had more (3) in 2016. 

Brady (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote and Derek Carr (1) was tied with Ezekiel Elliot (1) for 3rd. Ryan received 24/50 MVP votes. 

2017 NFL MVP Tom Brady had 3 OPW. This was tied with Todd Gurley for the most in the NFL in 2017. 
Rivers and Wilson both had 2. 

Gurley (3) finished 2nd in the MVP vote and Carson Wentz (1) finished 3rd. Brady received 40/50 MVP votes. 

2018 NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes had 2 OPW. This was tied with Brees, Firzpatrick, Gurley, Roethlisberger and Amari Cooper for the most in the NFL in 2018. 

Brees (2) finished 2nd in the MVP vote. Mahomes received 41/50 MVP votes. 

2019 NFL MVP Lamar Jackson had 5 OPW. This was the most in the NFL in 2019. 
Deshaun Watson finished with 3 AFC OPW and Wilson, Prescott and Aaron Jones finished with 2. 

Lamar Jackson was the unanimous MVP receiving 50/50 MVP votes. 

Offensive Player of the Month and MVPs

Since 2010 9/10 MVPs have won at least 1 Offensive Player of the Month in the season that they were MVP. The only player that didn’t win one was Cam Newton in 2015. 

There have been a few players who have won multiple Offensive Player of the Month awards in the same season but have not won the MVP vote.

Brady (2) in 2011 where Rodgers had 3. 
Manning (2) in 2012 where Peterson had 1. 
D. Murray (2) in 2014 where Rodgers had 1. 
A. Brown (2) in 2015 where Newton had 0. 
Gurley (2) in 2017 where Brady had 1. 

What does this mean in 2020? 

How does 2020 stack up to the last 10 years, it will be interesting to look at. So far we’re through 15 out of 17 weeks in the season. 

Josh currently leads the league with 4 Offensive Player of the Week awards. Kyler Murray also won this week, so he now has 3 on the season. Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson and Dalvin Cook all have 2. Aaron Rodgers, one of the favorites for MVP has 1. 

The only player to have sole possession of the most Offensive Player of the Week awards in the NFL and NOT win the MVP in the last 10 years was Michael Vick (3) in 2010, when he lost out to Brady (2). 

Josh looks to be in line to win potentially win Offensive Player of the Month in December after already winning 2/3 player of the week awards. If he won, it would be his 2nd this season (September). The other current winners are Wilson (September), Brady and Henry (October) and Mahomes and Cook (November). 

If Josh were to win 2 Offensive Player of the Month awards and not win the MVP, he would be the 6th players since 2010 for that to happen to, but he would be the first player to have won the most Player of the Week and Player of the Month Awards and not win the MVP. 

Impressive research. Dang!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

He just had 359 yards with 4 TDs in  Cold, blustery weather in Denver

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

We shall agree to disagree. One, it's not a pipe dream when you consider Minnesota and Indy both hosted and even Met Life Stadium hosted as it's an open venue. Second, COVID is not going to stop progress on the whole, IMO, it's just the next hurdle in a line of hurdles the Bills have had to handle over the last 10 years. The ripple effect of a new stadium, specifically a dome, would have on the infrastructure you reference would be significant because any new stadium - dome or otherwise - is going to require that investment. And yes, it is going to happen at some point and I presume sooner rather than later. It's just the cost of business in the NFL. Third, it's not based on "one player", it's based on the long-term trend toward Offenses in the NFL. It also based on the changing generation and being responsive to the fan experience. 

None of us know what the Pegulas will do, but such a huge investment in a stadium without a dome is nonsensical IMHO because the ability to utilize that stadium is impacted tremendously when it remains an outdoor stadium vs. a dome. But, until there is a clear message as to their path, none of us can be sure of anything - that said, I do hope a dome is built for all the reasons previously stated. 

You are right, we wil disagree.

I am from Buffalo and I hate to say it but Buffalo is no Indy or Minnesota.  Just a fact of life.  Compare the number of hotel rooms in both metro areas and I am pretty confident Buffalo will be a fraction of what both cities have.

And yes Covid will be overcome but  the days of large shopping malls and stadiums has passed.  Technology is what is going to limit the building of huge stadiums.  

You can either accept change is inevitable or just keep pretending everything will go back to the way it was.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

That bad 4 game stretch earlier in the year really killed his mvp chances. Let's be honest, if his stats are similar or even slightly better than Mahomes or Rodgers, he's not winning it. Especially when they are each winning their conferences. 

I get your point and I agree with the second part but I disagree that he had a “bad” 4 game stretch. 
no QB keeps up the pace JA had in games 1-4. All of them cool off at times. 
he still played above average in games 5-8. 
TN game he had 263yds and a 67QBR

KC game he had only 122yds but still had a strong 79QBR

Jets game he had 307yds and a 60QBR

Pats game he had 154yds and a 40QBR

QBR takes everything into account (rushing yards, rushing tds, situational/clutch play.)

anything over 50 is considered good. 
as you can see, only the Pats game was below 50 and even that game I would say he played within the game plan which was to grind it out on the ground, as evidenced by only 18pass attempts. The pick in that game was a bad one. 

All that to say... the national media has created this illusion that he was bad for a big chunk of the season and has only recently turned it back around. I contend that he’s been good all year and he’s been GREAT in 7 games. 

Edited by JY422
correcting mistakes.
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, JY422 said:

I think it’s wishful thinking unless Rogers and Mahomes have sh!t games these last 2 weeks. I just don’t see the voters giving it to the young-gun with no playoff success over the other two who are both regular season MVPs, super-bowl MVPs and Super Bowl champs. 
It would have to be a large margin for JA17 to win it this year. 
But how cool is it that we are even having this discussion?? Wow!!!

Or that might be why he would win it. Why give it to the guys who have already won the award and had success when you can give to the new guy? I see it being a close race. Either two man or three man. Hope for voters to split between Rodgers and Mahomes and Allen to pick up more than a third of the vote.

• Like (+1) 2

His game against the Broncos might be his best yet. Watch the all-22 footage of some of his throws if you can, Cover 1's film room from this week is a good source for it. He made about 5 completely ridiculous throws that only a couple QBs can make. His completion to Diggs on a deep out while getting swarmed in the pocket, I don't think any other QB can make that throw even including Mahomes and Rodgers. Just crazy QB play we're witnessing right now

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This is basically just looking at the stats.... actually watching the game I'd say he had an OK game against the Titans. A bad game against the Chiefs(he missed a lot of throws), and a solid game against the Jets. 

He was solid but nothing spectacular against the Pats and I thought he struggled against Arizona despite the 4th quarter heroics(that were squandered). 

His first 3 games he was terrific as he has been his last 4. 

The chiefs game was definitely his worst game. He looked like last year Josh Allen. 

The shoulder injury affected him.

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Josh Allen named AFC Offensive Player of the Week and Fed Ex Air POW
13 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I understand that, however, if I recall correctly - and I could be way off base here - but I believe when Goodell and the other owners approved the Pegula's purchase of the Bills, one of the caveats was that a new stadium needed to be built within the leasing time frame. Yes, COVID has altered the financing options, but I don't think they'll lose any of the leverage from the NFL owners or Goodell. To that end, I don't think the domed stadium is soooo significantly different from an open air stadium that it would be cost prohibitive.

And, yes it sits empty - but like other domes, there are other uses of the dome during the Off-season and if they do it right, they can have a portion of it open to fans year round with stores and fan venues to bring people in....so, it's not a total waste of space. 

You are off base. Goodell repeatedly has said a new stadium isn't a requirement but they need to at least update the current stadium to remain competitive.

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

He just had 359 yards with 4 TDs in  Cold, blustery weather in Denver

Huh? It wasn't cold or blustery. The players were standing on the sidelines in short sleeves most of the game. Maybe towards the end they put on the coats but most of the game wasn't cold at all. Temps were near 50 and it was sunny.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

The shoulder injury affected him.

Shoulder injury and the way Tennessee and KC played him dropping a bunch of people into coverage.

His shredding of the same type of defense against the 49ers and Broncos shows that probably won't be effective anymore.

Allen's ability to learn so quickly and then defeat what teams try to do against him this year has been astounding.

Blitz him and you get shredded. Drop into coverage you get shredded. Play man and get shredded and give him huge running lanes. Play zone and he picks you apart. 

There is literally not much of anything that works well against us. Even Pittsburgh had no answers once we made some adjustments towards the end of the first half and into the second half.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Shoulder injury and the way Tennessee and KC played him dropping a bunch of people into coverage.

His shredding of the same type of defense against the 49ers and Broncos shows that probably won't be effective anymore.

I'd like to think that the jerking-around of the Bills played a part as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You are right, we wil disagree.

I am from Buffalo and I hate to say it but Buffalo is no Indy or Minnesota.  Just a fact of life.  Compare the number of hotel rooms in both metro areas and I am pretty confident Buffalo will be a fraction of what both cities have.

And yes Covid will be overcome but  the days of large shopping malls and stadiums has passed.  Technology is what is going to limit the building of huge stadiums.  

You can either accept change is inevitable or just keep pretending everything will go back to the way it was.  

Buffalo is incapable of hosting a Super Bowl given the reality of how they’re awarded.  That said, it’s ridiculous that marketability determines who hosts.  The league is hyper focused on creating level playing fields and then completely abandoned that ideal when it comes to the Super Bowl.

10 hours ago, Billl said:

Buffalo is incapable of hosting a Super Bowl given the reality of how they’re awarded.  That said, it’s ridiculous that marketability determines who hosts.  The league is hyper focused on creating level playing fields and then completely abandoned that ideal when it comes to the Super Bowl.

You make valid points.

Reality is the Super Bowl is no longer just a game. it is a mutli day money grab spectacle.

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You are off base. Goodell repeatedly has said a new stadium isn't a requirement but they need to at least update the current stadium to remain competitive.

Huh? It wasn't cold or blustery. The players were standing on the sidelines in short sleeves most of the game. Maybe towards the end they put on the coats but most of the game wasn't cold at all. Temps were near 50 and it was sunny.

I know Goodell has back-pedaled a bit, but his truest intentions were stated in 2014 and has had overtures of this message since then:

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2014/05/roger_goodell_says_buffalo_bills_need_a_new_stadium_to_ensure_future_in_new_york.html

34 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I know Goodell has back-pedaled a bit, but his truest intentions were stated in 2014 and has had overtures of this message since then:

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2014/05/roger_goodell_says_buffalo_bills_need_a_new_stadium_to_ensure_future_in_new_york.html

He can't force an owner to do anything and the Pegula's are very highly respected in league circles so I doubt the other owners would try to force them to do something

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You make valid points.

Reality is the Super Bowl is no longer just a game. it is a mutli day money grab spectacle.

I think it is marketed as an entertainment event. Let us not put any other words around it.