Bills-Denver according to Kubiak: "diabolical"

Jim Kubiak has now used the word "diabolical" to describe several of Brian Daboll's play designs. 

OK then. 

Brian "Dabollical", our OC.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-brian-dabolls-creativity-is-highlighting-the-best-of-bills-qb-josh-allen/article_47048b86-431d-11eb-a6a4-5bb82e2522bb.html

In marked contrast to our color commentator, Mark Schlereth who described Allen as "scrambling and improvising", Kubiak breaks down what Daboll's play design was actually doing on various plays such as the fake Diggs screen/TD to Knox.

It kind of makes me realize that, even as our offense struggles to master the playbook, at this point in the season Daboll must literally have opposing DC's heads primed to explode.  "Wait, there's Diggs lining up in the backfield, OK, screen to Diggs, got it..no wait, flood concept to the right.....or is it actually a run by Allen?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jim Kubiak has now used the word "diabolical" to describe several of Brian Daboll's play designs. 

OK then. 

Brian "Diabollical", our OC.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-brian-dabolls-creativity-is-highlighting-the-best-of-bills-qb-josh-allen/article_47048b86-431d-11eb-a6a4-5bb82e2522bb.html

In marked contrast to our color commentator, Mark Schlereth who described Allen as "scrambling and improvising", Kubiak breaks down what Daboll's play design was actually doing on various plays such as the fake Diggs screen/TD to Knox.

It kind of makes me realize that, even as our offense struggles to master the playbook, at this point in the season Daboll must literally have opposing DC's heads primed to explode.  "Wait, there's Diggs lining up in the backfield, OK, screen to Diggs, got it..no wait, flood concept to the right.....or is it actually a run by Allen?"

He stole my nickname!  I have been calling him Coach Diabolical all year.  I am pretty sure a lot of this is him and Allen talking at 9 pm at night,  Coach Daboll gets an idea in evening and calls Allen to discuss it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

There was one play that impressed the crap outta me.  It was a double screen concept, Moss to the left, Motor to the right.  Josh hit Motor on the right for a 9-yard gain.  I can see that play going either way in the future.  

I used to bang the table for the double running back screen when Hackett was here with Fred and CJ. Don't know why more offenses don't run it. Seen the Browns do something similar this year where they ran a screen one way with Chubb and a wheel route the other way with Hunt.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, hemma said:

I think Josh's TD run was also a scripted play.  Watch Gilliam and he starts blocking a step before Josh takes off running.

The way they bumped heads in the end zone looked like a "Hey, it worked perfectly."

I thought the same thing. Look at Gilliam down there run blocking like a demon. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I think Josh's TD run was also a scripted play.  Watch Gilliam and he starts blocking a step before Josh takes off running.

The way they bumped heads in the end zone looked like a "Hey, it worked perfectly."

Yeah, I think it was a type of RPO where a pass is one option, and a run by Josh is another.  The back stays in to block.  But the DLman Jones loops around into a suspiciously open space, with Mongo following him and shoving him into the backfield while Allen neatly sidesteps into this huge 'ol hole created by Morse blocking his guy right, into the space formerly occupied by Mongo.  It just looks too neat to have happened except by design.

And then, as you say, as soon as he sees the key that Allen is running Gilliam just FLATTENS Holder, the safety, then takes on another guy.  In fact, Gilliam almost acts too soon - if he weren't taken quite so much by surprise, Holder might have had time to recover.

16 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Wish that Statue Of Liberty would have counted.  

That was a stone cold hundred year old throwback.

Yeah you know things are going good for this offense when they break out some craziness like that and the execution is flawless.  That's just ridiculous.

Compare that to the stuff Freddie Kitchens was calling yesterday for the Giants.  On 4th down and in field goal position with a close score and the field goal team out there, spread everyone out and have the holder/punter go back into shot gun and throw the ball incomplete in the end zone to a lineman!  The Pegulas need to either (a) make Daboll a rich man; or (b) have photos of him in a "compromising position".

That's as good a nickname as any.

The playcalling is fun and creative now. I think a lot of it has to do with Allen being comfortable enough to suggest/call his own plays.

42 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

You really have to wonder if Dabol might decline the chance to go elsewhere just stay in Buffalo to continue working with Josh. I may very well depend on whether anyone looks to give him a HC opportunity where there is a half decent QB.

It seems like the perfect situation for Daboll to milk it.

Win a SB with Josh and teams will be throwing all their money at him.

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

You really have to wonder if Dabol might decline the chance to go elsewhere just stay in Buffalo to continue working with Josh. I may very well depend on whether anyone looks to give him a HC opportunity where there is a half decent QB.

You need a really smart QB to run some of the things we're starting to see.  Josh needs some of the credit too.  This gets to your point here.  Not all NFL QBs will be able to work with Daboll like Josh can.