Bills-Denver according to Kubiak: "diabolical"

11 hours ago, hemma said:

I think Josh's TD run was also a scripted play.  Watch Gilliam and he starts blocking a step before Josh takes off running.

The way they bumped heads in the end zone looked like a "Hey, it worked perfectly."

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

I thought the same thing. Look at Gilliam down there run blocking like a demon. 

I think it was intended to be a pass play with an RB kept in to block, but there may have been a run option - there was some signalling going on from Boettger and getting communicated down the line before the play.  And you guys are right, when one of the Denver DL looped around, Mongo followed him and gave him a big old shove into the backfield, while Morse created a big hole by shoving his guy into the space Mongo just vacated and Josh squirted neatly through the hole.

And as you note, Gilliam's two devastating blocks were key to the success of that play.

My only thing is - MY EARS AND WHISKERS! We complain about Jerry Hughes ball security but Josh was carrying the ball like a loaf of bread the whole way in.  If you plan to run it, Joshy-boy, TUCK THAT THING AWAY.  I loved in his interview how Beasley said re: Jerry Hughes "we could get him right by next week" on ball security.  BEAS!  Could you talk to your boy 17?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, I think it was a type of RPO where a pass is one option, and a run by Josh is another.  The back stays in to block.  But the DLman Jones loops around into a suspiciously open space, with Mongo following him and shoving him into the backfield while Allen neatly sidesteps into this huge 'ol hole created by Morse blocking his guy right, into the space formerly occupied by Mongo.  It just looks too neat to have happened except by design.

And then, as you say, as soon as he sees the key that Allen is running Gilliam just FLATTENS Holder, the safety, then takes on another guy.  In fact, Gilliam almost acts too soon - if he weren't taken quite so much by surprise, Holder might have had time to recover.

For what it's worth, Kubiak's take is that Denver completely neglected to account for Allen (or didn't realize he would run up the middle) and:

Five plays later, Allen demonstrated his awareness on another third down. When defenses blitz, they play man to man behind to cover the voided areas. The Broncos attacked with a five-man pressure and played Cover 2 man-under. Denver played two deep safeties over the top and man to man on everyone else. The problem with this philosophy was Allen. No one accounted for him, which he recognized and exploited immediately.  As Allen dropped back, he saw all the defenders go with their receivers down the field. The Broncos did not account for Allen in any way, and he ran 24 yards into the end zone for a 14-0 lead, literally surprised at how open the middle of the field was.

So I guess the rest of us can wonder - was it actually a scripted play option, some kind of scramble drill, or a combination of coverage mistake and Allen taking advantage/Gilliam alertly seeing him take off and clearing the way?

But either way, Josh STOP CARRYING THE DAMN FOOTBALL LIKE IT'S A FREAKIN' HALIBUT AND YOU'RE A SEAWORLD KEEPER RUNNING ACROSS THE CONCRETE WALL BETWEEN THE ORCA TANKS!  Sooner or later you WILL get bitten again by this.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I did not realize that - did they overlap at all?

Graduated with Kubiak in 1990. 3 year age difference between us and Diaboll. He could have been a freshman/sophomore at the time. 

Edited by sunshynman
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

You really have to wonder if Dabol might decline the chance to go elsewhere just stay in Buffalo to continue working with Josh. I may very well depend on whether anyone looks to give him a HC opportunity where there is a half decent QB.

He can be definitely be selective.  The Bills look set-up for a nice run of success in the next few years so his stock will still be high.  That said, Houston and, I’m guessing,  the Chargers have openings and dynamite young QB’s.