99.9% chance wk. 17 will matter to Bills

The Red King

22 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

The way I look at it getting everyone healthy and rested is of greater importance than seeding.

They way I see it...NOT being 4 seed means no chance of being at Chiefs Divisional weekend...being 2 Seed means 2 home games

Edited by TH3

Personally, I don't want the Bills to "rest their starters" in Week 17 whether they "have something to play for" or not.   I simply don't like the attitude: you always play to win whether the game "matters" or not.    More importantly, it's very possible that the Bills could meet their Week 17 opponent, Miami, in the playoffs. 

I think that McDermott should rest any starters who have injuries that would benefit from a week off, especially nagging ones, but if the starters are healthy in Week 17,  they should play as long as the game is competitive.   

I believe the 2 seed will be playing the Ravens.  They have an easy schedule compared to Miami.  The 3 seed might have an easier game in Cleveland or Indy.  Even if Steelers keep the 2 seed, I could see them being eliminated in the first round which would give Bills second home game if they win their first round game.  If I were to make a guess, I'd say Bills will be the 2 seed facing Ravens who scare me somewhat, and Titans also.  Let's just keep winning and see where the chips fall.  

4 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

I believe the 2 seed will be playing the Ravens.  They have an easy schedule compared to Miami.  The 3 seed might have an easier game in Cleveland or Indy.  Even if Steelers keep the 2 seed, I could see them being eliminated in the first round which would give Bills second home game if they win their first round game.  If I were to make a guess, I'd say Bills will be the 2 seed facing Ravens who scare me somewhat, and Titans also.  Let's just keep winning and see where the chips fall.  

Miami wins out then the Ravens won't make it. They should beat the Raiders next week and who knows how Buffalo will treat the finale. Will they treat it like a preseason game or not.

It's tough to say about week 17... does seeding matter that much in a year without fans?.   The second home game might be nice but if Allen or Diggs or Milano, Edmunds, White get hurt against Miami would you say that was worth it?  I'd rather have everyone healthy ready to go in the playoffs than lose anyone due to injury in a somewhat meaningless week 17.. We'll see.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Personally, I don't want the Bills to "rest their starters" in Week 17 whether they "have something to play for" or not.   I simply don't like the attitude: you always play to win whether the game "matters" or not.    More importantly, it's very possible that the Bills could meet their Week 17 opponent, Miami, in the playoffs. 

I think that McDermott should rest any starters who have injuries that would benefit from a week off, especially nagging ones, but if the starters are healthy in Week 17,  they should play as long as the game is competitive.   

I think it is really an all or nothing.  If you are resting guys like Brown, Williams, Morse, maybe Diggs or Beasley (due to nagging injuries) - then I don’t want JA in there with a partial o-line and limited weapons trying to win a game against a team that needs the win.

McD has to decide and if he is playing the starters even for a few series - then I want all of them that are able in there playing.  If they decide a few members of the o-line or a few WRs cold use a full week off - then give the rest to all the starters you can.

I don’t want a missed block by a back-up Tackle or a WR that can’t get open causing Josh to hold on to the ball to create a situation where JA misses a playoff start because we wanted to win.  It is a difficult balance for coaches and will be approached differently throughout the league.  I just don’t think you play it safe for a few and let others go all out.  

The same thing occurs if you decide to sit and protect Josh - then I don’t want Diggs or Brown out there because a bad pass by Barkley could cost the team.  Make a decision either all in or rest the guys and let the consequences fall where they may.

Edited by Rochesterfan

50 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Bengals aren’t beating Pittsburgh lol.  Colts or Browns sure but not Cincinnati 

Stranger things have happened. 

They lost 2 straight , how are they going to react? This Pitt team I saw 2 weeks in Buffalo looked timid. Maybe them defensive injuries 🤷‍♂️

They come out sloppy, anything is possible.  We'd be the 2 seed by the end of the night! Longshot,  but certainly possible 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

The Steelers could hang out at the bar all day and show up tonight completely **** faced and they are still beating the Bengals. Next week's game against the Colts will be a challenge but not tonight.

That’s what the rams enough about the jet’s.  

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Pitt has a real chance of losing the next two after tonight. . I think as as long as we have a chance to play for 2 seed we do. 

They do but we won't know the result of the Browns game because we will be playing at the same time so I guess that means we will be playing starters.

55 minutes ago, Greg S said:

If the Bills-Dolphins game gets flexed to SNF is this the week we find out?

There is no SNF week 17.

The NFL announced late Sunday that no game will be flexed to Sunday Night Football in Week 17, a sharp departure from previous years, when NBC would always get a game with playoff implications to close out the season.

Edited by Bferra13

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Keep winning and get as many home games as possible.

There's a reason why this team wanted to win the division and that was to have a home playoff game after losing their last two playoff games on the road.

Keep winning. I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to grasp with some people. 

I agree with you. Play the starters and play to win. I'd like to see them blow away Miami.

The counter argument is to avoid injury which has some validity. McD rested everyone against the Jets when the outcome didn't matter so there is precedent there. I think guys lose their edge when they rest but maybe that isn't a real thing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree with you. Play the starters and play to win. I'd like to see them blow away Miami.

The counter argument is to avoid injury which has some validity. McD rested everyone against the Jets when the outcome didn't matter so there is precedent there. I think guys lose their edge when they rest but maybe that isn't a real thing.

Patriots rested guys week 17 numerous times, those would be the only games we would ever win vs them..  They won Superbowls.

We rested week 17 vs the Jets and had a 16-0 lead before choking vs Houston last year.

35 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

It's tough to say about week 17... does seeding matter that much in a year without fans?.   The second home game might be nice but if Allen or Diggs or Milano, Edmunds, White get hurt against Miami would you say that was worth it?  I'd rather have everyone healthy ready to go in the playoffs than lose anyone due to injury in a somewhat meaningless week 17.. We'll see.

Seeding matters.  Teams with home games do not need to deal with flights, hotels and visiting locker rooms.

1 minute ago, HeHateMe said:

Patriots rested guys week 17 numerous times, those would be the only games we would ever win vs them..  They won Superbowls.

We rested week 17 vs the Jets and had a 16-0 lead before choking vs Houston last year.

Honestly don't remember the Patriots ever sitting Brady. In fact I recall Wes Welker getting injured in a meaningless week 17 game. 

I'm sure there is no correct way to do it. Avoid injury at the expense of losing your edge. Who knows. Either way if they win the first playoff game whatever they decide to do in week 17 will be correct.

I'd say do what you can to get #3 spot. Pittsburgh is losing in the first round which will give the Bills a shot at a second home playoff game and avoiding KC before the championship game

I could care less about the two seed. It would be nice sure, but in a year where home field advantage means very little there's no way I'm not resting starters to play for 2 vs 3 seed. 

What needs to happen in Week 16 for us to be locked in to at least the 3 seed? That would be enough for me. Obviously if we win and titans/ colts both lose that would do it. What if bills and colts win, and titans lose?