Moss got that 1st

Bakin

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

You had the top camera angle. I don’t understand how that wasn’t clear.

in any event, these refs were bad on spots all day— we benefited from that at least twice.  

Because what matters is where the ball is and you can’t clearly see the ball in any of the camera angles. Therefore, it’s nearly impossible to see something clear and obvious enough to overturn. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Singletary more than made up for it with his TD, 👍

The Bills beat the hell out of two teams tonight, the Broncos and the Zebras ...

Go Bills!!!

Moss made up for it himself when he absolutely bullied his way to a first down on third and long in the fourth quarter.  I actually laughed and said to my friend "This just isn't fair, I'm starting to feel bad for Denver".

21 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Because what matters is where the ball is and you can’t clearly see the ball in any of the camera angles. Therefore, it’s nearly impossible to see something clear and obvious enough to overturn. 

What I don't get is them not having cameras set up over (high angles from opposite sides) the first down line specifically for these kind of situations.  They should also treat "turnover on downs" like an actual turnover in regards to being an automatic review.

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

You had the top camera angle. I don’t understand how that wasn’t clear.

in any event, these refs were bad on spots all day— we benefited from that at least twice.  

Because you can't see the ball on that camera.

It was just one of a number of awful calls from some incompetent officials but once that one was in the booth it had to stay as called IMO.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

I think he got it, but then again I don't think Diggs got to the first down marker earlier in the game. Up until that Moss bad spot, we were joking in the game trhead that the chain gang was balancing the bad reffing. 

Yep. Diggs didn't get that. The refs were absolutely dreadful. 

• Like (+1) 1

Those 2 redzone drives in the 2nd half, I think we scored 4-5 touchdowns.  Refs kept giving us penalties all day long and then we'd score again and again and again.  Eventually the bills relented and ran it on 3rd and long, and kick a FG.  

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

What I don't get is them not having cameras set up over (high angles from opposite sides) the first down line specifically for these kind of situations.  They should also treat "turnover on downs" like an actual turnover in regards to being an automatic review.

They have a camera in the pylon, I wonder if they could put them on the 'sticks'?  Would the chain crew keep them still enough to be used? Makes me wonder.

Also RFID chips in the balls would be cool. 

When it comes to forward progress you can give yards up if you keep fighting...if you kind of reset and go again.  I don’t know the specifics but the play kind of looked like that to me.   Wondering if that is what was ruled.   Because he clearly got it to me.  The ball seemed to clearly be at the 2.5 yard line on then first effort. 

12 hours ago, Bakin said:

I mean I saw it...

how did they not see it?

Because they're at field level, not looking at an elevated view in HD.

I think he got the first down and I thought he got it watching it in real speed/LIVE.

But I'm not gonna put this spot in the "bad officiating" category.  With a better camera angle/view, it would have been turned over. They just couldn't.

12 hours ago, Simon said:

Yeah he got it.

Somebody that can replay it, watch the line judge at the end of the play.

It looked like he was coming in to spot it correctly, but then had to detour upfield around Beasely or Diggs and never got back downfield to where he had originally been coming in and ended up marking it short of where he originally intended to.

But I never saw a replay from the live camera angle where he's in the frame.

He got it, but that call has to be a QB sneak *every single time*. Maybe in a closer game they sneak it; it was a blowout at that point and perhaps they wanted to try and see if they could succeed with the RB.

12 hours ago, brianthomas said:

With all the advancements in technology, idk why we can't install RFID chips inside the football or use doppler radar to determine where the ball is at any given moment. It'd make calls & matters like this indisputable, having the raw data showing the ball reached the 2.5 yard line.

Seems like an easy no brainer type advancement. Just put sensors on the ball so u know where its at, at all times!

Where does the RFID chip reside in the ball?  Because a football is not round where the chip lies would matter significantly for where the ball went.  Is it straight forward or is it sideways or is it at 3/4 angle - you are talking 3-5 inches of change and therefore the same type of inaccuracies - assuming you could line the entire field with receivers to be able to get an accurate plot.  

It could work near the goal line assuming you can tell the exact second the player is down or stopped because the ball keeps moving.  The hardest part is that guys who are down - a knee just touches - then extend the ball forward - so you still need to be able to see visually multiple data points to spot it correctly.  Guys forward moment is stopped and they reach the ball forward - you would still need to know exact moments.

In addition you would have to know the exact accuracy of the chip.  Many times you are talking within inches and if it has an accuracy of inches and due to the Balls shape you have inherent inaccuracies- it might be no different than what we currently have.

It is not that I don’t think they should try, but I don’t think it is easy fix you make is sound like.  

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He got it, but that call has to be a QB sneak *every single time*. Maybe in a closer game they sneak it; it was a blowout at that point and perhaps they wanted to try and see if they could succeed with the RB.

In a one score game they absolutely sneak that. No need to out Josh underneath a pile of bodies in a game that was all but over.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

In a one score game they absolutely sneak that. No need to out Josh underneath a pile of bodies in a game that was all but over.

Yeah, agreed.  I thought they were stupid to not kick the fg and make it a 4-score game, effectively ending it then and there.

Edited by dave mcbride

4 hours ago, peterpan said:

They have a camera in the pylon, I wonder if they could put them on the 'sticks'?  Would the chain crew keep them still enough to be used? Makes me wonder.

Also RFID chips in the balls would be cool. 

I was thinking just use the standard movable side view cameras, just reposition them to the first down line on fourth downs.

15 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Refs had an agenda this game. Yes, some calls were borderline but usually if they don't have any bearing or effect on the play their usually not thrown. Not this game.

You don't call back 2 straight tds unless you have an agenda. Clete & crew were a complete embarrassment. 

3 hours ago, BearNorth said:

could they put a GPS chip [2.5 grams] in the ball and triangulate location?  We have great technology these days.  Would take stupid refs out of the equation.

I keep hearing people say "just put a gps/rfid chip in the ball" as if it's just that easy.

1.  The technology isn't THAT precise.

2.  The ball is a 3 dimensional object with a different length and width.  You would at least need multiple chips in it, finely calibrated to determine the exact orientation of the ball.

3.  The technology would have a significant cost, for very little if any reward when good enough technology (cameras) already exist for free.

4.  The tech in the balls would need to be rugged enough to withstand being spiked, thrown against a wall, etc.

I could go on.

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

You don't call back 2 straight tds unless you have an agenda. Clete & crew were a complete embarrassment. 

Or unless there were two straight penalties.  Doesn't always have to be a conspiracy against us.

10 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Im just waiting for the day where there is some kind of chip or sensor in the ball and the digital line we see on tv is the official. No more old guys bringing out the chains for a measurement. No more wondering if the ball broke the goal line. 

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Im just waiting for the day where there is some kind of chip or sensor in the ball and the digital line we see on tv is the official. No more old guys bringing out the chains for a measurement. No more wondering if the ball broke the goal line. 

Be prepared to wait a VERY long time then.  It's just not feasible. 

Ever since the refs were allowed (mandated) to set the ball down at the yard markers, their fundamentals have slipped. The tend to get lazy marking the ball. When it gets to a point where it costs a team a game,....oh wait, they won't do anything about it because they are the NFL. They are out to screw anyone but NE.

I think the female Line Judge was being ignored totally by her fellow crew members.  

She would come in with the spot but the Referee would go into the scrum confer with the Line Judge on the opposite side and make a spot and a call.

More than once I saw her come down the line and change her line when she saw the other Line Judge.  even if she had a better view of the spot.  I don't think the crew wanted to deal with her and she wasn't brave enough to stick her head in there and tell them what she saw. 

I am speculating on my reading of their actions, but that is how I read it.

On 12/19/2020 at 5:40 PM, Bakin said:

Looked like he hit the 2.5 yard line. And they spotted him at the 3.5. 
amirite?

He did, and that crew sucked.

Should have easily seen that he got the 1st with change with his forward progress. Their spot was piss poor and they should have seen that in their review, but they did not have the integrity to fix their own mistake.

Then tack on the 3 TDs they called back on ticky tacky infractions and yeah...they were suck and the score should have been almost 60 for the Bills.

Edited by WideNine